journalists trying to influence/lobby rule makers and disciplinary procedures.

Started by rrhf, August 11, 2015, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: AhNowRef on August 12, 2015, 02:44:14 PM
Quote from: GJL on August 12, 2015, 02:08:00 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on August 12, 2015, 02:04:29 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on August 12, 2015, 01:35:59 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on August 12, 2015, 12:35:49 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on August 12, 2015, 11:30:53 AM
Quote from: tc_manchester on August 12, 2015, 11:16:02 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 10:50:28 AM
Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 09:53:08 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 09:32:34 AM
Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 09:29:50 AM
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but this 8 week ban is probably very harsh considering, as other people have pointed out, that there was no action against Michael Shields in the Munster Final.

HOWEVER, I think most GAA supporters would agree that this diving/ simulation/ trying to get people sent off is a blight on the game.
A strong message needs sent out to try and eradicate it so its probably something that needs to happen.

It is unfortunate for Tyrone that its their man that has been highlighted.
It was highlighted about Michael Shields weeks ago but no action was taken.
Had an 8 week ban been handed out then to Shields, McCann may not have considered diving for fear of retribution and this hoohaa surrounding it wouldn't be taking place.

Some county was going to suffer the consequences of this eventually as the GAA weren't going to let this happen indefinitely.
Tyrone are the unfortunate ones.
But why should Shields have got an 8 week ban for a yellow card offence?

Fair point.
Should it be more than a yellow card offence for there to be an effective way of removing these actions from our game?

But Cavanaugh took a dive when he got a tip in the belly from McManus. Is that worthy of a ban too? There was more contact than McCann got, but no less of a dive. Where does the line get drawn?
But to be honest, that's all irrelevant. It does not matter what any individual thinks should be the punishment, all that matters is that the rulebook states that feigning injury is a yellow card offence.

I've no problem with McCann being embarrassed, and every single diver / injury feigner on their team having their manliness being called into question - but banning any of them for it is just ridiculous!

This case really winds me up - Cavanaugh is well to the side from where McManus is running - Mc Manus moves towards him with his elbow jutting out and bangs into him. Cavanaugh falls down. He didn't instigate the incident and somehow it's his fault for falling down. If McManus had breezed past him, never touching him and Cavanaugh had fallen down then yes accuse him of cheating but this is ridiculous.

Cavanagh feigned injury (cheating)at least twice in the match resulting in no football being played (you know, the reason everyone tunes in) for about 4/5 mins...you're trying to defend the indefensible, the man is a serial offender

Can you please let us know when these 2 incidents happened .. i.e. what was the game time ?

ah for crying out loud, watch the game back if you have to, or don't believe me, its up to yourself

So you cant tell me the times then ? ...... Ive watched the game twice and can see no dives from C Cavanagh .. thats why I ask..

You surely should be able to back up your claims?

I asked the same, apparently he can't.

Yeah, the sheep are following well from what they hear on TV or read in the press ...
That knob Brolly wrote that Sean Cavanagh lay down and wasted time on 53 mins and Colm did the same on 70 mins when they apparently "went down after minor contact" -  You have to laugh at all this - Sean was rabbit punched to the back of the head swiftly followed by a punch in the Jaw and Colm was badly taken out of it by Hughes .....
Dara O'Se on Sky said of Finlays incident with Sean Cavanagh .. "Ah sure der was notin in it" .. Conning the ref again .. well he's said that for every free Tyrone got in their last 3 matches ....     No, no witch hunt here !!

Hideous Stuff !

I wonder were these your examples JoG2 ?

classy stuff...you believe Cavanagh didn't feign injury during that game? You are clearly wrong. 

deiseach

Remember the Colin Lynch affair? The same argument, that applying a retrospective punishment on him would represent a fatal undermining of the rule of law within the GAA and respect for referees, was advanced back then. There's a legitimate argument to be made that it isn't fair. But the idea that the centre won't be able to hold if the ban on Tiernan McCann is made to stick is bats.

AZOffaly

general_lee

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 12, 2015, 02:36:24 PM
Quote from: general_lee on August 12, 2015, 02:31:29 PM
What a stupid knee jerk reaction. Not the way forward.

Would like to see the GAA operate a similar set up to the rugby TMO with a separate referee sat up in the stands who can watch a replay immediately after an incident and either make a call that the incident should be watched again before being dealt with OR be available for the pitch ref to consult if he did not see what happened.

For the sake of 30-60 seconds we could eliminate many subsequent investigations, punishments, appeals and knee jerk reactions like McCann's 8 week ban.

That's a good sensible idea but would be very difficult to implement in grounds around the country.
I wouldn't have thought so. All that is needed is a camera and a live feed to a monitor.

Virtually every inter county game is recorded nowadays. Sure even Armagh county board will be live-streaming junior championship matches online this weekend.

It might be a bit too pragmatic though.

AhNowRef

Quote from: JoG2 on August 12, 2015, 02:48:09 PM
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but this 8 week ban is probably very harsh considering, as other people have pointed out, that there was no action against Michael Shields in the Munster Final.

HOWEVER, I think most GAA supporters would agree that this diving/ simulation/ trying to get people sent off is a blight on the game.
A strong message needs sent out to try and eradicate it so its probably something that needs to happen.

Had an 8 week ban been handed out then to Shields, McCann may not have considered diving for fear of retribution and this hoohaa surrounding it wouldn't be taking place.

Some county was going to suffer the consequences of this eventually as the GAA weren't going to let this happen indefinitely.

Fair point.
Should it be more than a yellow card offence for there to be an effective way of removing these actions from our game?

But Cavanaugh took a dive when he got a tip in the belly from McManus. Is that worthy of a ban too? There was more contact than McCann got, but no less of a dive. Where does the line get drawn?
But to be honest, that's all irrelevant. It does not matter what any individual thinks should be the punishment, all that matters is that the rulebook states that feigning injury is a yellow card offence.

I've no problem with McCann being embarrassed, and every single diver / injury feigner on their team having their manliness being called into question - but banning any of them for it is just ridiculous!

This case really winds me up - Cavanaugh is well to the side from where McManus is running - Mc Manus moves towards him with his elbow jutting out and bangs into him. Cavanaugh falls down. He didn't instigate the incident and somehow it's his fault for falling down. If McManus had breezed past him, never touching him and Cavanaugh had fallen down then yes accuse him of cheating but this is ridiculous.

Cavanagh feigned injury (cheating)at least twice in the match resulting in no football being played (you know, the reason everyone tunes in) for about 4/5 mins...you're trying to defend the indefensible, the man is a serial offender

Can you please let us know when these 2 incidents happened .. i.e. what was the game time ?

ah for crying out loud, watch the game back if you have to, or don't believe me, its up to yourself

So you cant tell me the times then ? ...... Ive watched the game twice and can see no dives from C Cavanagh .. thats why I ask..

Yeah, the sheep are following well from what they hear on TV or read in the press ...
That knob Brolly wrote that Sean Cavanagh lay down and wasted time on 53 mins and Colm did the same on 70 mins when they apparently "went down after minor contact" -  You have to laugh at all this - Sean was rabbit punched to the back of the head swiftly followed by a punch in the Jaw and Colm was badly taken out of it by Hughes .....
Dara O'Se on Sky said of Finlays incident with Sean Cavanagh .. "Ah sure der was notin in it" .. Conning the ref again .. well he's said that for every free Tyrone got in their last 3 matches ....     No, no witch hunt here !!

Hideous Stuff !

classy stuff...you believe Cavanagh didn't feign injury during that game? You are clearly wrong.

Good man .. point it out then .. You were talking about Colm Cavanagh .. Tell us when he feigned injury or stop talking nonsense ?

Gabriel_Hurl

rrhf

Who was the co commentator on sky TV.  He was a bollix against Tyrone at the weekend. 

AhNowRef

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 12, 2015, 03:43:02 PM
Was it not Dara O'Se?

Ye, D O'Se .... Every Single free we got in the last 3 matches were con jobs apparently ... Unbelievable !!

And yeah, I see what poor old GoG2's problem is now right enough :-)

LeoMc

Quote from: JoG2 on August 12, 2015, 02:41:19 PM

Fair point.

a: you guys are saying he didn't feign injury - hogwash
b: asking me to provide or upload these specific video clips - how do i do this and I will try my very best?

to quote Brolly (you know the guy you boys are now listening to?):

"The Invisible Man resumed his vendetta on the Cavanagh brothers"

Sean does have a reputation for going down easily but I think JB's dislike for Sean is coloring his perception of Colm.
Colm did have a reputation for theatrics (slapping the ground and complaining) but he has reined that in over the past 2-3 years.

stibhan

Quote from: muppet on August 12, 2015, 01:29:55 PM

For example, banning McCann isn't much good to Monaghan now. Having 15 players for the last 10 minutes might have helped though.

Was there not a certain black card about to be handed to Hughes anyway?

barelegs

Quote from: stibhan on August 12, 2015, 03:57:37 PM

For example, banning McCann isn't much good to Monaghan now. Having 15 players for the last 10 minutes might have helped though.

There was a black card coming for Hughes for rugby tackling Colm Cavanagh, hence the referee already had his notebook out. It was the easiest decision Duffy had to make all day. Monaghan had made their six subs at this stage and if Duffy had black carded Hughes, as looked inevitable, Monaghan were down to 14 players

muppet

Was Hughes on a Yellow? If not they would have been back to 15.
MWWSI 2017

barelegs

Quote from: muppet on August 12, 2015, 04:13:43 PM

Was Hughes on a Yellow? If not they would have been back to 15.

They'd used all their subs by the 60th minute. To avoid any doubt they were

Dick Clerkin for Lennon
Owen Duffy for McAnespie
Drew Wylie for Corey
Dermot Malone for McAdam
Paul Finlay for Gallogly
Christopher McGuinness for K Duffy,

JoG2

Quote from: AhNowRef on August 12, 2015, 03:12:35 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on August 12, 2015, 02:48:09 PM

Fair point.

Hideous Stuff !

Good man .. point it out then .. You were talking about Colm Cavanagh .. Tell us when he feigned injury or stop talking nonsense ?

no, the Cavanagh who lay feigning injuries for 4/5 mins on separate occasions. Colm's not a while pile better