journalists trying to influence/lobby rule makers and disciplinary procedures.

Started by rrhf, August 11, 2015, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

I think the problem here is also with your perspective. 
If Paul Finlay done what he done in the premiership with a closed fist punch to the back of the head it would be the main area of concern not the simulation.  You are all concerned about the reputation of your manly game that you prefer to ignore a cowardly and dangerous punch to the back of the head to get at a man who simulated. 

Soup an Samajiz

retrospective yellow cards... g'way an shite... yid never be done arguing over that.. if yellows are missed in a match ye just hav to draw a line under it, if its the issue that u think a yellow isn't sufficient then let that be voted on at the appropriate time but all this talk is nonsense
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 11:07:59 AM
Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2015, 11:05:43 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 11:03:19 AM
So you think a fair retrospective punishment for a missed yellow card offence is an 8 week ban?? Jaysus, I'm getting my boots dusted off, they're going to need players.

We can discuss a happy medium if you wish, but given the choice between nothing and an 8 week ban, I'll go for the latter.

I think you're building a strawman here deiseach. I have no problem with the concept of retrospectively banning players for diving. I'd welcome it.

What offends my sense of fairness about this case is the fact that other, similar, incidents have not been punished in the same way, and I believe that's largely because they didn't get highlighted in a similar manner in the media, or at least not to nearly the extent.

Punish cheats, but don't differentiate on the basis of media backlash.

Ah look. Where is the strawman in my argument? If people wish to propose that Tiernan McCann should get away with it because we don't have a firm procedure in place and we need to introduce one based on the fact that he is getting away with it, fine. I'm not seeing that argument beyond yourself though.

tc_manchester

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 10:50:28 AM
Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 09:53:08 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 09:32:34 AM
Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 09:29:50 AM
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but this 8 week ban is probably very harsh considering, as other people have pointed out, that there was no action against Michael Shields in the Munster Final.

HOWEVER, I think most GAA supporters would agree that this diving/ simulation/ trying to get people sent off is a blight on the game.
A strong message needs sent out to try and eradicate it so its probably something that needs to happen.

It is unfortunate for Tyrone that its their man that has been highlighted.
It was highlighted about Michael Shields weeks ago but no action was taken.
Had an 8 week ban been handed out then to Shields, McCann may not have considered diving for fear of retribution and this hoohaa surrounding it wouldn't be taking place.

Some county was going to suffer the consequences of this eventually as the GAA weren't going to let this happen indefinitely.
Tyrone are the unfortunate ones.
But why should Shields have got an 8 week ban for a yellow card offence?

Fair point.
Should it be more than a yellow card offence for there to be an effective way of removing these actions from our game?

But Cavanaugh took a dive when he got a tip in the belly from McManus. Is that worthy of a ban too? There was more contact than McCann got, but no less of a dive. Where does the line get drawn?
But to be honest, that's all irrelevant. It does not matter what any individual thinks should be the punishment, all that matters is that the rulebook states that feigning injury is a yellow card offence.

I've no problem with McCann being embarrassed, and every single diver / injury feigner on their team having their manliness being called into question - but banning any of them for it is just ridiculous!

This case really winds me up - Cavanaugh is well to the side from where McManus is running - Mc Manus moves towards him with his elbow jutting out and bangs into him. Cavanaugh falls down. He didn't instigate the incident and somehow it's his fault for falling down. If McManus had breezed past him, never touching him and Cavanaugh had fallen down then yes accuse him of cheating but this is ridiculous.

deiseach

Quote from: rrhf on August 12, 2015, 11:12:22 AM
I think the problem here is also with your perspective. 
If Paul Finlay done what he done in the premiership with a closed fist punch to the back of the head it would be the main area of concern not the simulation.  You are all concerned about the reputation of your manly game that you prefer to ignore a cowardly and dangerous punch to the back of the head to get at a man who simulated.

It would, but only because using the fist would be seen as a particularly lurid action in the game of soccer. If he gave a guy a kick to the back of the legs, no one would be too bothered, at least not when set against an outrageous dive in the same game. As you say, it's about perspective.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2015, 11:13:36 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 11:07:59 AM
Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2015, 11:05:43 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 11:03:19 AM
So you think a fair retrospective punishment for a missed yellow card offence is an 8 week ban?? Jaysus, I'm getting my boots dusted off, they're going to need players.

We can discuss a happy medium if you wish, but given the choice between nothing and an 8 week ban, I'll go for the latter.

I think you're building a strawman here deiseach. I have no problem with the concept of retrospectively banning players for diving. I'd welcome it.

What offends my sense of fairness about this case is the fact that other, similar, incidents have not been punished in the same way, and I believe that's largely because they didn't get highlighted in a similar manner in the media, or at least not to nearly the extent.

Punish cheats, but don't differentiate on the basis of media backlash.

Ah look. Where is the strawman in my argument? If people wish to propose that Tiernan McCann should get away with it because we don't have a firm procedure in place and we need to introduce one based on the fact that he is getting away with it, fine. I'm not seeing that argument beyond yourself though.

The strawman is you seem to be saying, and apologies if this is not the case, that those against this particular suspension do not want to see diving punished retrospectively.

That's not my position. My position is you can't start punishing one lad retrospectively, in the middle of the season, while ignoring others who have done very similar things. In my view it is scapegoating, and goes against the principles of fairness. (Just as diving goes against the same principles by the way).

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 11:22:56 AM
The strawman is you seem to be saying, and apologies if this is not the case, that those against this particular suspension do not want to see diving punished retrospectively.

That's not my position. My position is you can't start punishing one lad retrospectively, in the middle of the season, while ignoring others who have done very similar things. In my view it is scapegoating, and goes against the principles of fairness. (Just as diving goes against the same principles by the way).

The argument by some seems to be that because it's a yellow card offence then it shouldn't be treated any differently to any other yellow card offence. if you are not in favour of hitting divers hard because it's no worse than any other yellow card offence then you really are not bothered by diving at all.

AZOffaly

Fair enough. I agree with that.

I just don't agree you can suddenly decide to do it, while ignoring previous incidents, largely because Colm O'Rourke or Twitter says so. Sure that's no way to run an organisation.

JoG2

Quote from: tc_manchester on August 12, 2015, 11:16:02 AM
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but this 8 week ban is probably very harsh considering, as other people have pointed out, that there was no action against Michael Shields in the Munster Final.

HOWEVER, I think most GAA supporters would agree that this diving/ simulation/ trying to get people sent off is a blight on the game.
A strong message needs sent out to try and eradicate it so its probably something that needs to happen.

Had an 8 week ban been handed out then to Shields, McCann may not have considered diving for fear of retribution and this hoohaa surrounding it wouldn't be taking place.

Some county was going to suffer the consequences of this eventually as the GAA weren't going to let this happen indefinitely.

Fair point.
Should it be more than a yellow card offence for there to be an effective way of removing these actions from our game?

But Cavanaugh took a dive when he got a tip in the belly from McManus. Is that worthy of a ban too? There was more contact than McCann got, but no less of a dive. Where does the line get drawn?
But to be honest, that's all irrelevant. It does not matter what any individual thinks should be the punishment, all that matters is that the rulebook states that feigning injury is a yellow card offence.

I've no problem with McCann being embarrassed, and every single diver / injury feigner on their team having their manliness being called into question - but banning any of them for it is just ridiculous!

This case really winds me up - Cavanaugh is well to the side from where McManus is running - Mc Manus moves towards him with his elbow jutting out and bangs into him. Cavanaugh falls down. He didn't instigate the incident and somehow it's his fault for falling down. If McManus had breezed past him, never touching him and Cavanaugh had fallen down then yes accuse him of cheating but this is ridiculous.

Cavanagh feigned injury (cheating)at least twice in the match resulting in no football being played (you know, the reason everyone tunes in) for about 4/5 mins...you're trying to defend the indefensible, the man is a serial offender 

doodaa

Fair point.

Its fairly evident that if we rely on embarrassment/shame as the punishment then this will continue to happen as some people have no shame at all.
There needs to be something a bit more robust than "embarrassment" as the punishment. Banning is the only tool the GAA have as they cant fine an amateur player.

I do agree with AZOffaly that mid season, reactionary disciplining of players is daft.
Much like the black card the GAA will make a haims of this situation as well then introduce something that doesn't work.

tc_manchester

Quote from: JoG2 on August 12, 2015, 11:30:53 AM
Quote from: tc_manchester on August 12, 2015, 11:16:02 AM

Fair point.

Cavanagh feigned injury (cheating)at least twice in the match resulting in no football being played (you know, the reason everyone tunes in) for about 4/5 mins...you're trying to defend the indefensible, the man is a serial offender
In this case who caused the problem was it Cavanaugh or McManus?

omagh_gael

JoG2, when did Cavanagh get the game stopped by 4/5 mins??? He was down for a good while after Finlay punched him on the back of the skull.

He is a serial offender at the cynical stuff but you're talking shite here, he got up pretty sharpish after the McManus dunt.

deiseach

Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 11:37:33 AM
Its fairly evident that if we rely on embarrassment/shame as the punishment then this will continue to happen as some people have no shame at all.
There needs to be something a bit more robust than "embarrassment" as the punishment. Banning is the only tool the GAA have as they cant fine an amateur player.

I do agree with AZOffaly that mid season, reactionary disciplining of players is daft.
Much like the black card the GAA will make a haims of this situation as well then introduce something that doesn't work.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. I don't think there is any appetite in any team sport to put down in black and white the kind of punishment that would nip diving in the bud. Everyone, whether consciously or not, wants leeway to be able to claim that their man wasn't really diving. Only The Other would do that. We muddle on through with much posturing for good and against evil.

ballinaman

McCann has a terrible haircut....watching too much Geordie shore. CCCC need to take action.

AZOffaly

I've argued for the same thing in soccer. A panel sits and reviews contentious incidents from the weekend and hands out bans based on their review. I think the clutching the face while flailing dramatically after no facial contact would be fairly easy to identify.