journalists trying to influence/lobby rule makers and disciplinary procedures.

Started by rrhf, August 11, 2015, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 12, 2015, 10:16:37 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 12, 2015, 10:10:44 AM
Rather than singling out young McCann who obviously hasn't learned how to do it correctly how about banning the entire Tyrone GAA establishment for 6 months.
Also can all their posters be banned from the GAABoard and no mention of Tyrone be allowed here either.

Yep, it'd be great craic discussing Roscommon all year. I'll start........erm, well.....where's the bus parked at this time of year?
They are continuing to fill it in anticipation of a trip to the Athletic grounds where they can get their revenge. Hopefully they are not a busted flush.

omagh_gael

Farcical decision that will be overturned easily. Diving needs sorted out and McCann was out if order but it needs to be tackled in a consistent manner in accordance to the GAA's own procedures.

Bunch of Feckin Muppets.

deiseach

I'm sure Tiernan McCann, being the fine young man that he is, will welcome this opportunity to learn from his mistake.

Hound

Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 09:53:08 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 09:32:34 AM
Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 09:29:50 AM
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but this 8 week ban is probably very harsh considering, as other people have pointed out, that there was no action against Michael Shields in the Munster Final.

HOWEVER, I think most GAA supporters would agree that this diving/ simulation/ trying to get people sent off is a blight on the game.
A strong message needs sent out to try and eradicate it so its probably something that needs to happen.

It is unfortunate for Tyrone that its their man that has been highlighted.
It was highlighted about Michael Shields weeks ago but no action was taken.
Had an 8 week ban been handed out then to Shields, McCann may not have considered diving for fear of retribution and this hoohaa surrounding it wouldn't be taking place.

Some county was going to suffer the consequences of this eventually as the GAA weren't going to let this happen indefinitely.
Tyrone are the unfortunate ones.
But why should Shields have got an 8 week ban for a yellow card offence?

Fair point.
Should it be more than a yellow card offence for there to be an effective way of removing these actions from our game?

But Cavanaugh took a dive when he got a tip in the belly from McManus. Is that worthy of a ban too? There was more contact than McCann got, but no less of a dive. Where does the line get drawn?

But to be honest, that's all irrelevant. It does not matter what any individual thinks should be the punishment, all that matters is that the rulebook states that feigning injury is a yellow card offence.

I've no problem with McCann being embarrassed, and every single diver / injury feigner on their team having their manliness being called into question - but banning any of them for it is just ridiculous!

deiseach

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 10:50:28 AM
I've no problem with McCann being embarrassed, and every single diver / injury feigner on their team having their manliness being called into question - but banning any of them for it is just ridiculous!

So the only retrospective punishment for diving should be embarrassment?

AZOffaly

I've no problem retrospectively banning lads for diving. In fact I'd love to see it. But not mid way through a season, on a trumped up disrepute charge, when similar incidents in the same season have gone unpunished. That's just unfair.

Hound

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2015, 10:57:11 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 10:50:28 AM

So the only retrospective punishment for diving should be embarrassment?
What retrospective punishment do you think should be in place for diving and other yellow card offences that the ref missed?

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 10:58:33 AM
I've no problem retrospectively banning lads for diving. In fact I'd love to see it. But not mid way through a season, on a trumped up disrepute charge, when similar incidents in the same season have gone unpunished. That's just unfair.

+1
Exactly

deiseach

That's a separate argument to the one which seems to be along the lines that if a yellow card offence is missed during the game then you can't impose any penalty stronger than a yellow card, i.e. nothing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2015, 11:01:42 AM

That's a separate argument to the one which seems to be along the lines that if a yellow card offence is missed during the game then you can't impose any penalty stronger than a yellow card, i.e. nothing.

So you think a fair retrospective punishment for a missed yellow card offence is an 8 week ban?? Jaysus, I'm getting my boots dusted off, they're going to need players.

But my real problem with this is the arbitrary nature of the retrospective suspension, which appears to be largely based on what the media want.

Hound

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2015, 11:01:42 AM

Are you seriously suggesting that every yellow card offence that is missed by a ref should be punished retrospectivley???

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 11:03:19 AM
So you think a fair retrospective punishment for a missed yellow card offence is an 8 week ban?? Jaysus, I'm getting my boots dusted off, they're going to need players.

We can discuss a happy medium if you wish, but given the choice between nothing and an 8 week ban, I'll go for the latter.

Keyboard Warrior

Pat McEnaney to propose a purple card for shenanigans that RTE don't like from next year (tut tut).
Grown men in tears again at next years congress.
WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2015, 11:05:43 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 11:03:19 AM

We can discuss a happy medium if you wish, but given the choice between nothing and an 8 week ban, I'll go for the latter.

I think you're building a strawman here deiseach. I have no problem with the concept of retrospectively banning players for diving. I'd welcome it.

What offends my sense of fairness about this case is the fact that other, similar, incidents have not been punished in the same way, and I believe that's largely because they didn't get highlighted in a similar manner in the media, or at least not to nearly the extent.

Punish cheats, but don't differentiate on the basis of media backlash.

deiseach

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 11:04:52 AM
Are you seriously suggesting that every yellow card offence that is missed by a ref should be punished retrospectivley???

No, not every yellow card offence. Just the diving. If you want 'consistency', then let's make diving a red card offence.