journalists trying to influence/lobby rule makers and disciplinary procedures.

Started by rrhf, August 11, 2015, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6571924 "He's cleverly running down the clock, here.  Very, Very good play from Kerry" (McHugh).

SuperHo

Have a wee look at colm parkinson in the indo. The cub is a complete tool.  Apparently bad stuff happens in tyrone all the time including a ref taking a hiding from one set of supporters. C.f. ladies ref got punched.  Ffs if ye want to publish an opinion in the paper at least get the basic facts right.  Breheny talkin some sense tho so must be opposite day

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on August 12, 2015, 10:44:47 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 12, 2015, 10:35:16 PM

Have a read of this verbal diarrhea from Conor Heneghan

http://www.joe.ie/sport/thetoughest-issue-is-the-reported-eight-week-ban-for-tyrones-tiernan-mccann-fair/507930

I stopped reading after he tried to justify the whole thing with this statement:

"But why now? Why the Tyrone man? Why not Michael Shields? Aidan O'Mahony? Why? Because neither of those other incidents resulted in a player being red carded."

Who is this Heneghan character anyway? Who give him a licence to spout this drivel backed up by outright lies?

You didn't read it properly at all did you?

You saw the headline and the red (hand) mist descended rapidly, leading to be outraged no matter what you read.

There are two arguments in that article, one for and one against. Conor Heneghan argued against the ban but you quoted from the guy who was arguing for the ban.

You are not on the CCCC by any chance?

You didnt read my post properly did you?

muppet

Quote from: Whishtup on August 12, 2015, 10:46:42 PM
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6571924 "He's cleverly running down the clock, here.  Very, Very good play from Kerry" (McHugh).

It isn't McHugh and he was obviously referring to the soloing the ball, keeping possession. Canning referred to it as well ('ball retention').

The paranoia is getting to epic proportions. But the pandemic of whataboutery has to stop.

The ban was utterly wrong.

I will be amazed if it isn't overturned on appeal.

There will be another incident in the semi-finals to outrage pundits. And on we will go again.

No one will be outraged after the final as 'the best team won'.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 12, 2015, 10:51:44 PM

http://www.joe.ie/sport/thetoughest-issue-is-the-reported-eight-week-ban-for-tyrones-tiernan-mccann-fair/507930

I stopped reading after he tried to justify the whole thing with this statement:

"But why now? Why the Tyrone man? Why not Michael Shields? Aidan O'Mahony? Why? Because neither of those other incidents resulted in a player being red carded."

Who is this Heneghan character anyway? Who give him a licence to spout this drivel backed up by outright lies?

You saw the headline and the red (hand) mist descended rapidly, leading to be outraged no matter what you read.

There are two arguments in that article, one for and one against. Conor Heneghan argued against the ban but you quoted from the guy who was arguing for the ban.

I think you need to read the article again.
MWWSI 2017

Aaron Boone

Tiernan has always been there for the Killyclgher club, always willing to help out. He is a true Gael.

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on August 12, 2015, 10:53:24 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 12, 2015, 10:51:44 PM

I think you need to read the article again.

I already said I stopped reading it

Fair enuff wrong man but his name was at the head of the article

So who the feck is this Conan Doherty? What sort of journalist backs up his articles with lies?

Whishtup

Quote from: muppet on August 12, 2015, 10:52:25 PM

It isn't McHugh and he was obviously referring to the soling the ball, keeping possession. Canning referred to it as well ('ball retention').

The paranoia is getting to epic proportions. But the pandemic of whataboutery has to stop.

There will be another incident in the semi-finals to outrage pundits. And on we will go again.

"Cleverly running down the clock here, very, very good play from kerry"-those two phrases very obviously compliment each other and the intent of this statement is that both the ball retention and O'Donoghue feigning injury are positive actions.  "Cynically running down the clock here, a part of Kerry's game we don't like to see but unfortunately do all to often, the referee should take action"  Hundreds of thousands of people now remember that incident with a negative skew.   There is no paranoia or anything like it here-Tyrone fans have become numb to the double standards in the media.  However, some people need reminding of what actually goes on in games involving counties other than Tyrone.  The more images like this flying around the better to ground some of the buffoons who's imaginations are running wild about Tyrone and only Tyrone.     

muppet

Quote from: Whishtup on August 12, 2015, 11:11:32 PM

It isn't McHugh and he was obviously referring to the soling the ball, keeping possession. Canning referred to it as well ('ball retention').

"Cleverly running down the clock here, very, very good play from kerry"-those two phrases very obviously compliment each other and the intent of this statement is that both the ball retention and O'Donoghue feigning injury are positive actions.  "Cynically running down the clock here, a part of Kerry's game we don't like to see but unfortunately do all to often, the referee should take action"  Hundreds of thousands of people now remember that incident with a negative skew.   There is no paranoia or anything like it here-Tyrone fans have become numb to the double standards in the media.  However, some people need reminding of what actually goes on in games involving counties other than Tyrone.  The more images like this flying around the better to ground some of the buffoons who's imaginations are running wild about Tyrone and only Tyrone.     

I saw it as they were talking about the play, the bit where he was running and soloing keeping possession. That was running down the clock and that was very good play. That is how I interpreted the commentary. Commentators are often a bit behind the play as it takes time to think about what you have seen.

They didn't comment on the feigning injury as far as I could see. Maybe they should have, but I didn't see it as praising the dive and holding of the head feigning injury.
MWWSI 2017

Whishtup

Quote from: muppet on August 12, 2015, 11:43:36 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 12, 2015, 11:11:32 PM

I saw it as they were talking about the play, the bit where he was running and soloing keeping possession. That was running down the clock and that was very good play. That is how I interpreted the commentary. Commentators are often a bit behind the play as it takes time to think about what you have seen.

They didn't comment on the feigning injury as far as I could see. Maybe they should have, but I didn't see it as praising the dive and holding of the head feigning injury.
The point is this.  The commentary here is probably correct and how commentary should be.  There would have been no mention of this on TSG and if there was, maybe a 'the cuteness of Kerry' comment.  Fair enough.  If this was Tyrone player even in an AI final, under the current media climate, there would be snide remarks, pontificating, excessive negativity over such an incident. Replays, tut tuts,repercussions,  you name it.   This has to stop. 

Throw ball

Brolly article from Gaelic Life in 2012:

http://gaeliclife.com/2012/05/simulation-a-danger-to-the-gaa/

Maybe Tiernan McCann has done the GAA a favour in the long run and a line has been drawn in the sand.

muppet

To be fair I think the initial reaction was on the internet and mainly on twitter. The gifs appeared rapidly, and remember, The Sunday Game didn't have the match. It was on a Saturday and Sky had it. The Sunday Game didn't have anything until a day later. Even on here the row was in full swing over 24 hours before TSG was broadcast: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=26101.375

I accept your point that they are more likely now to look at Tyrone with a cynical eye, than your example Kerry. Donaghy for example is  relentlessly pushing and shoving and mouthing and no one says, or does anything about him.

But for whatever reason Tyrone are now perceived as the worst culprits. Is this fair? I honestly don't know. But it appears to be a reality and it will impact negatively on Tyrone. But the solution is in Tyrone. The solution for Tyrone certainly isn't going on an all out attack on 'The Southern Media', or 'D4' or partitionists or whatever. Does anyone seriously think that will shut people up?
MWWSI 2017

Whishtup

Fair enough.  It is nearly too late for Tyrone to do anything about this.  The damage is already done, that is why it escalated before TSG.    That is what makes it very frustrating.  This Tyrone team are going to be under the microscopic eye any time they are competitive and any misdemeanor is going to blown out of all proportion.  Tyrone can't prevent against that.  The media (including internet-based media) have a responsibility to treat teams fairly and for whatever reason, that isn't happening.  Pat Spillane lit these fires back in 2003(because Tyrone dared to embarrass Kerry) and while he has thrown away the match, the fires still burn.

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on August 13, 2015, 12:44:13 AM
To be fair I think the initial reaction was on the internet and mainly on twitter. The gifs appeared rapidly, and remember, The Sunday Game didn't have the match. It was on a Saturday and Sky had it. The Sunday Game did have anything until a day later. Even on here the row was in full swing over 24 hours before TSG was broadcast: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=26101.375

I accept your point that they are more likely now to look at Tyrone with a cynical eye, than your example Kerry. Donaghy for example is  relentlessly pushing and shoving and mouthing and no one says, or does anything about him.

But for whatever reason Tyrone are now received as the worst culprits. Is this fair? I honestly don't know. But it appears to be a reality and it will impact negatively on Tyrone. But the solution is in Tyrone. The solution for Tyrone certainly isn't going on an all out attack on 'The Southern Media', or 'D4' or partitionists or whatever. Does anyone seriously think that will shut people up?

Enlighten us with your eternal wisdom Muppet

Enlighten us how Tyrone GAA can stop journalist and pundits causing a shit storm every time Tyrone do something that every team in the country does?

Enlighten us how Tyrone can stop Spillane, O'Rourke etc being sickened at the sight of Tyrone winning.

Enlighten us how Tyrone can stop the CCCC acting on a whim from the above journalist's drivel?

This is an issue for them not Tyrone.

Syferus

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 13, 2015, 01:00:24 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 13, 2015, 12:44:13 AM
To be fair I think the initial reaction was on the internet and mainly on twitter. The gifs appeared rapidly, and remember, The Sunday Game didn't have the match. It was on a Saturday and Sky had it. The Sunday Game did have anything until a day later. Even on here the row was in full swing over 24 hours before TSG was broadcast: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=26101.375

But for whatever reason Tyrone are now received as the worst culprits. Is this fair? I honestly don't know. But it appears to be a reality and it will impact negatively on Tyrone. But the solution is in Tyrone. The solution for Tyrone certainly isn't going on an all out attack on 'The Southern Media', or 'D4' or partitionists or whatever. Does anyone seriously think that will shut people up?

Enlighten us with your eternal wisdom Muppet

Enlighten us how Tyrone GAA can stop journalist and pundits causing a shit storm every time Tyrone do something that every team in the country does?

Enlighten us how Tyrone can stop Spillane, O'Rourke etc being sickened at the sight of Tyrone winning.

Enlighten us how Tyrone can stop the CCCC acting on a whim from the above journalist's drivel?

This is an issue for them not Tyrone.

In the day and age when journalists are totally de-powered and social media is king you choose to blame it on the 'southern media'.

Cmon now. This one is more about whe the balance of power is in pop culture outside of McCann or diving. Your premise is incorrect. Journalists rarely set the agenda anymore. At best they reflect it.