journalists trying to influence/lobby rule makers and disciplinary procedures.

Started by rrhf, August 11, 2015, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 12, 2015, 12:38:53 PM
And it doesn't bother you at all Hardy, that the GAA are setting themselves up perfectly as a laughing stock with seat of the pants decisions such as these? That's sure to instil implicit respect for the rules, not to mention relieving referees of the absolute necessity of enforcing the rules as they are; pandemonium here we come. 

Edit Oh, and you can take your embarrassment and shove it as far up your Meath hole as you can manage.

Sorry, Fear, but I'll ignore your insults anyway (not like you - you must be feeling the pressure of defending the indefensible) and I won't be paying much attention to your attempts at debate if you still stand by this:
#Under5sKnowTheBleedingHandOnHeadRuleYouNumptyHughes

You can feel free, in the light of cool reflection, to withdraw that beyond-Mickey-Hartish mealy-mouthedness in blaming the victim for the crime.

omagh_gael

Oops! Where's my Men in Black memory eraser! I do not condone Tiernan's actions.

LeoMc

Quote from: muppet on August 12, 2015, 12:53:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 12:52:18 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 12, 2015, 12:48:56 PM
Hardy, I'm am surprised at your take on this, you appear to be a logical man and dislike the yerra/wink-wink nudge-nudge culture and this case couldn't be any further from basic logic. The whole thing stinks of bias and you're point about there at least being contact with Shields is patently wrong as there was contact between Hughes and McCann as well. If that was your red line then the book should have been thrown at Lundy, the Slaughtneil man tackled the ball and Lundy dropped holding his face. Are you going to start measuring the pressure of contact to determine yellow card v disrepute?

As AZ is continually pointing out (alongside irrefutable video evidence) there is significant amount of, recent, precedent that can be used to dump the disrepute charge on it's head. This is a farcical, agenda driven issue that is fuelled by the bias of certain individuals in the media and in this instance your own bias.

Just to be clear as well, I completely condone Tiernan's actions and the cynical nature of the current Tyrone team is embarrassing. However, the issue needs tackled on a nationwide basis and through the proper channels.

Freudian slip dive? :)

There was contact with the keyboard so is he bringing the board into disrepute?

omagh_gael

AZOffaly

Quote from: LeoMc on August 12, 2015, 12:56:35 PM
Hardy, I'm am surprised at your take on this, you appear to be a logical man and dislike the yerra/wink-wink nudge-nudge culture and this case couldn't be any further from basic logic. The whole thing stinks of bias and you're point about there at least being contact with Shields is patently wrong as there was contact between Hughes and McCann as well. If that was your red line then the book should have been thrown at Lundy, the Slaughtneil man tackled the ball and Lundy dropped holding his face. Are you going to start measuring the pressure of contact to determine yellow card v disrepute?

As AZ is continually pointing out (alongside irrefutable video evidence) there is significant amount of, recent, precedent that can be used to dump the disrepute charge on it's head. This is a farcical, agenda driven issue that is fuelled by the bias of certain individuals in the media and in this instance your own bias.

Just to be clear as well, I completely condone Tiernan's actions and the cynical nature of the current Tyrone team is embarrassing. However, the issue needs tackled on a nationwide basis and through the proper channels.

I dunno, I'm going to ask Colm O'Rourke.

Hardy

Nothing unreasonable in what you say (apart from the laughable description of hair-tousling as "contact" in the sense of a hit). I've already explained my reasons for favouring effective action over agonising about procedure in a case where the soul of the game is up for grabs. I have no problem with your disagreement but I don't think I can add anything to what I've said.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 12:58:10 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 12, 2015, 12:56:35 PM

I dunno, I'm going to ask Colm O'Rourke.

He's on the phone to Ziggy as I type.......
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

<insert Inigo Montoya quote here>

yellowcard

Colm Parkinson: Tyrone must take heads out of sand

Colm O'Rourke and Ciaran Whelan were on the money on the Sunday game regarding Tyrone's antics on Saturday.

The reaction from ex-Tyrone players and supporters has been a familiar one. The general tone of the comments have been that O'Rourke played on dirty Meath teams and Whelan was no angel himself, so they have no business criticising Tyrone.

That sort of response completely misses the point. Tyrone football has been involved in a number of unsavoury incidents over the past decade, from club to inter-county. It can't always be someone else's fault.

We saw diving, feigning injury, sledging and goading from their brilliant '03 to '08 All-Ireland winning teams. Any criticism was put down to Kerry or Armagh, or whoever they beat, being sore losers.

In club football, Derrytresk were accused of some shocking behaviour against Dromid Pearces in Portlaoise a few years ago. After that game the Dromid manager said: "I have to say our players were provoked. The tactics they had in beating us, I didn't agree with."

We regularly hear of violence in club football in Tyrone. We hear of Joe McMahon getting his jaw broken and a referee and ladies football chairman getting beaten up by supporters after a ladies football match. Carrickmore and Dromore had an all-out brawl during a league final not too long ago.

After this year's All-Ireland U-21 final, Tipperary refused the Tyrone manager, Feargal, Logan entry into their dressing-room because of the antics of Tyrone players towards the end of the game. Another sore loser?

Declan Bonner felt like quitting the game because of comments made by a Tyrone player to his Donegal minor captain about his father who had passed away. Tyrone denied that too.

In May, the Tyrone seniors were involved in a bad-tempered game with Donegal and it was the same against Monaghan on Saturday.

When Monaghan played Donegal we saw a much more sporting game.

Former Tyrone star Brian McGuigan was on the show on Monday night. He said that because the All-Ireland-winning teams he played on had players who liked to goad opponents, club players and younger fans were probably looking on thinking this is the way to go.

Underage star Kyle Coney tweeted after the McCann dive "Winning's all that matters. I'd dive like Tom Daley if it was called for.!!"

A culture of "winning is all that matters" has developed in Tyrone. If this group of Tyrone players got inspiration from the last generation - who, it must be said, were one the best teams in the history of the GAA - I shudder to think what the next generation will be like.

Irish Independent

Interesting to read McGuigans take on it which I'd agree with. Tyrone fans would do well to admit they have a problem with the way they play the game rather than keep their heads buried in the sand. Coney's admission is also very telling as to the culture that exists within that particular county.

BennyHarp

Quote from: screenexile on August 12, 2015, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 12, 2015, 12:45:26 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0812/720713-eight-week-ban-proposed-for-tiernan-mccann/

Brolly wrote on Twitter: "My view is the use of the specific provision is illegal. The law of statutory interpretation applies to any rule. The lawmaker (Congress) has created a specific offence of simulation with a specific penalty (yellow card).

"Tiernan's only offence, as a matter of law, is simulation, since the lawmaker is presumed to mean what he says. If this were not so, then the disrepute provision could be used to override any offence, perverse though that would be. So, for example, a striking offence could be charged as disrepute.

"The decision is therefore unlawful. It is a manipulation of the law to punish Tiernan more severely than the law allows.

"The central point is that feigning is feigning. The penalty is a yellow card. How can any single act of feigning be worse? The point of the rule is to create certainty for the player & the GAA. If misconduct can override it the rule is worthless."

Brolly concluded: "The case is most certainly headed for the DRA."

And there's Brolly defending the young lad when all you Tyronies think he's against youse... his mother's from Tyrone y'know... "ye b**tards!!"

He's not defending McCann, he's defending the rules of the association.
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2015, 01:06:25 PM

Colm O'Rourke and Ciaran Whelan were on the money on the Sunday game regarding Tyrone's antics on Saturday.

The reaction from ex-Tyrone players and supporters has been a familiar one. The general tone of the comments have been that O'Rourke played on dirty Meath teams and Whelan was no angel himself, so they have no business criticising Tyrone.

That sort of response completely misses the point. Tyrone football has been involved in a number of unsavoury incidents over the past decade, from club to inter-county. It can't always be someone else's fault.

We saw diving, feigning injury, sledging and goading from their brilliant '03 to '08 All-Ireland winning teams. Any criticism was put down to Kerry or Armagh, or whoever they beat, being sore losers.

In club football, Derrytresk were accused of some shocking behaviour against Dromid Pearces in Portlaoise a few years ago. After that game the Dromid manager said: "I have to say our players were provoked. The tactics they had in beating us, I didn't agree with."

We regularly hear of violence in club football in Tyrone. We hear of Joe McMahon getting his jaw broken and a referee and ladies football chairman getting beaten up by supporters after a ladies football match. Carrickmore and Dromore had an all-out brawl during a league final not too long ago.

After this year's All-Ireland U-21 final, Tipperary refused the Tyrone manager, Feargal, Logan entry into their dressing-room because of the antics of Tyrone players towards the end of the game. Another sore loser?

Declan Bonner felt like quitting the game because of comments made by a Tyrone player to his Donegal minor captain about his father who had passed away. Tyrone denied that too.

In May, the Tyrone seniors were involved in a bad-tempered game with Donegal and it was the same against Monaghan on Saturday.

Former Tyrone star Brian McGuigan was on the show on Monday night. He said that because the All-Ireland-winning teams he played on had players who liked to goad opponents, club players and younger fans were probably looking on thinking this is the way to go.

Underage star Kyle Coney tweeted after the McCann dive "Winning's all that matters. I'd dive like Tom Daley if it was called for.!!"

A culture of "winning is all that matters" has developed in Tyrone. If this group of Tyrone players got inspiration from the last generation - who, it must be said, were one the best teams in the history of the GAA - I shudder to think what the next generation will be like.

Irish Independent

Interesting to read McGuigans take on it which I'd agree with. Tyrone fans would do well to admit they have a problem with the way they play the game rather than keep their heads buried in the sand. Coney's admission is also very telling as to the culture that exists within that particular county.
Are you saying we are the Italians of the GAA?

omagh_gael

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2015, 01:00:06 PM

Nothing unreasonable in what you say (apart from the laughable description of hair-tousling as "contact" in the sense of a hit). I've already explained my reasons for favouring effective action over agonising about procedure in a case where the soul of the game is up for grabs. I have no problem with your disagreement but I don't think I can add anything to what I've said.

Fair enough points, however, the contact involved in Shields, O'Mahoney and Lundy's cases were equally laughable.

yellowcard

Quote from: rrhf on August 12, 2015, 01:18:34 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2015, 01:06:25 PM

Irish Independent

Are you saying we are the Italians of the GAA?

I never mentioned the Italians, I'm saying you are simply the Tyrone of gaelic football. Will do anything necessary to get an advantage even if I'm not sure it actually does give you an advantage in the long run. The lack of goodwill towards Tyrone from neutrals has already become so ingrained that I believe officials will be unavoidably influenced by Tyrone's reputation. I can imagine the bile in the stands towards Tyrone in the Kerry match will translate itself to both the Tyrone players and the officials to create a negativity which will not help them in any way shape or form to stand any chance against Kerry. All because of a few dives and incidents of cynicism that had no bearing on the Monaghan result as they would have won the game regardless.

muppet

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 12, 2015, 01:19:11 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2015, 01:00:06 PM

Fair enough points, however, the contact involved in Shields, O'Mahoney and Lundy's cases were equally laughable.

AFAIK, only the O'Mahony case led to the player being sent off. In the other cases the referee either wasn't fooled or correctly saw the contact as not being worthy of a red card.

For me the solution is to help the refs get it right. A red card being issued is as important as a dubious point. We introduced Hawkeye, which I think was a success to try to deal with the latter, so surely we can sort out the simulation versus red card issue and have it dealt with in the context of the game.

For example, banning McCann isn't much good to Monaghan now. Having 15 players for the last 10 minutes might have helped though.
MWWSI 2017

JoG2

Quote from: AhNowRef on August 12, 2015, 12:35:49 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on August 12, 2015, 11:30:53 AM
Quote from: tc_manchester on August 12, 2015, 11:16:02 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 10:50:28 AM
Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 09:53:08 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 09:32:34 AM
Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 09:29:50 AM
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but this 8 week ban is probably very harsh considering, as other people have pointed out, that there was no action against Michael Shields in the Munster Final.

HOWEVER, I think most GAA supporters would agree that this diving/ simulation/ trying to get people sent off is a blight on the game.
A strong message needs sent out to try and eradicate it so its probably something that needs to happen.

It is unfortunate for Tyrone that its their man that has been highlighted.
It was highlighted about Michael Shields weeks ago but no action was taken.
Had an 8 week ban been handed out then to Shields, McCann may not have considered diving for fear of retribution and this hoohaa surrounding it wouldn't be taking place.

Some county was going to suffer the consequences of this eventually as the GAA weren't going to let this happen indefinitely.
Tyrone are the unfortunate ones.
But why should Shields have got an 8 week ban for a yellow card offence?

Fair point.
Should it be more than a yellow card offence for there to be an effective way of removing these actions from our game?

But Cavanaugh took a dive when he got a tip in the belly from McManus. Is that worthy of a ban too? There was more contact than McCann got, but no less of a dive. Where does the line get drawn?
But to be honest, that's all irrelevant. It does not matter what any individual thinks should be the punishment, all that matters is that the rulebook states that feigning injury is a yellow card offence.

I've no problem with McCann being embarrassed, and every single diver / injury feigner on their team having their manliness being called into question - but banning any of them for it is just ridiculous!

This case really winds me up - Cavanaugh is well to the side from where McManus is running - Mc Manus moves towards him with his elbow jutting out and bangs into him. Cavanaugh falls down. He didn't instigate the incident and somehow it's his fault for falling down. If McManus had breezed past him, never touching him and Cavanaugh had fallen down then yes accuse him of cheating but this is ridiculous.

Cavanagh feigned injury (cheating)at least twice in the match resulting in no football being played (you know, the reason everyone tunes in) for about 4/5 mins...you're trying to defend the indefensible, the man is a serial offender

Can you please let us know when these 2 incidents happened .. i.e. what was the game time ?

ah for crying out loud, watch the game back if you have to, or don't believe me, its up to yourself