la liga thread

Started by anportmorforjfc, August 28, 2007, 09:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

8 goals in three games I think. Pretty much unplayable.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

boojangles

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on March 21, 2010, 10:00:01 PM
That was deadly tonight. I've never witnessed a player play like that. You see clips of Maradona but that's on a par if not better.

he'll only be on par with maradona if messi can preform like he did in the 1986 world cup

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gallsman

Getting really sick of people telling me that Rooney has now overtaken Messi as the best player on the planet because of his goals this year, without realizing that Messi is doing the exact same thing in La Liga. 25 goals in 24 games, three of them as a sub is phenomenal.

new devil

Quote from: gallsman on March 22, 2010, 10:29:01 AM
Getting really sick of people telling me that Rooney has now overtaken Messi as the best player on the planet because of his goals this year, without realizing that Messi is doing the exact same thing in La Liga. 25 goals in 24 games, three of them as a sub is phenomenal.

La Liga is a much easier league is it not?

gallsman

Quote from: new devil on March 22, 2010, 06:09:02 PM

Care to elaborate? How is it easier?

Madrid and Barca dominate, then you have teams like Valencia and Sevilla who could comfortably put it up to the likes of Liverpool and City. Deportivo and Bilbao are on a par these days with the likes of Everton and Villa.

As for the rest, I don't see any particular difference between someone like Birmingham and Getafe, or Fulham and Atletico.

Besides all that, I think Messi has proven on numerous occasions that it doesn't matter who he plays against- he can still absolutely dominate a game. Best player in the world period.

paco

Thought it was great listening to some of the stuff the commentators were coming out with, Gerry Armstrong losing the run of himself when Messi won the penalty  :D

Mario

Quote from: gallsman on March 22, 2010, 06:39:48 PM
Quote from: new devil on March 22, 2010, 06:09:02 PM

Care to elaborate? How is it easier?

Madrid and Barca dominate, then you have teams like Valencia and Sevilla who could comfortably put it up to the likes of Liverpool and City. Deportivo and Bilbao are on a par these days with the likes of Everton and Villa.

As for the rest, I don't see any particular difference between someone like Birmingham and Getafe, or Fulham and Atletico.

Besides all that, I think Messi has proven on numerous occasions that it doesn't matter who he plays against- he can still absolutely dominate a game. Best player in the world period.
I will elaborate. La Liga is a much easier league than the premiership, you have Barcelona and Madrid who get 60% of the TV money, the rest of it is divided among the other 18 teams. I think them two are 18 points above the 3rd place team. Excluding Valencia, most spanish teams outside the top 2 are fighting for scraps due to the gap in TV money.

In the premiership at the end of the year, Pompey will get the save TV money as United, a much more level playing field. Outside the big 3 in england this year you have teams like Man City, Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, Fulham, who in my opinion could finish 3rd or 4th in Spain.

Main Street

Quote from: ross4life on March 22, 2010, 07:14:33 AM
Quote from: ONeill on March 21, 2010, 10:00:01 PM
That was deadly tonight. I've never witnessed a player play like that. You see clips of Maradona but that's on a par if not better.
he'll only be on par with maradona if messi can preform like he did in the 1986 world cup
That's not fair.
Look who Messi has got for a WC manager.

Archie Mitchell

Teams in Spain negotiate their own TV deals so the bigger teams can get the best deal possible and obviously the more high profile you are, the more money you get. The Premier League is probably the best league in terms of competitiveness but La Liga is by far the best to watch.

Anyone that says Messi is only doing it as he's playing in a weaker league is talking through their hole. It wouldn't matter where Messi plays at, he'll still produce the same quality of football and has delivered on the big stage when required.

new devil

Archie now you are talking througt your hole..Off coarse it matters how hard/easy the league is.
I'am not taking anything away from him he is unreal....the question i'am asking is would he do the same in the premiership like a certain Mr Rooney has been doing all year??

Minder

Quote from: new devil on March 23, 2010, 01:50:32 AM
Archie now you are talking througt your hole..Off coarse it matters how hard/easy the league is.
I'am not taking anything away from him he is unreal....the question i'am asking is would he do the same in the premiership like a certain Mr Rooney has been doing all year??

Or a certain Mr Bent.

Or another argument is Torres never scored more than 14 league goals in a season for Atletico Madrid yet has found it very easy to score in England in a shocking Liverpool team........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

dubai2000

Quote from: new devil on March 23, 2010, 01:50:32 AM

rooney without a doubt is the best player in the premiership this season - by a mile!!! however just watch messi - I have never been lucky enough to see maradonna cruyff pele best in the flesh or watching them live - but if there better than messi they must have been some player.

its difficult to compare the two - but for flare and the unexpected - messi everytime (thats coming from a Man U fan )

mountainboii

These arguments are unwinnable. But to add more food for thought, how many more goals would Rooney score with Xavi and Iniesta laying on chances for him instead of Michael f**king Carrick?