Video in Good Shepherd Chapel - Niamh Horan

Started by T Fearon, June 23, 2014, 11:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

The Concise OED:
facilitate v.t. Make easy, promote, help forward, (action or result);

I think that the approach the church took in those days absolutely made it easy for this abuse to occur. And it was willful. Therefore, by definition, it was facilitating the abuse.

I'm not anti Catholic at all, I still go to mass. I recognise that where humans are involved, bad shit can happen. And when those humans have a serious love of power and will hold it no matter what, then you get the sort of horrible cover ups and abuses we're talking about. I also think that the Catholic Church is trying to straighten out its house, and I do believe that the majority of priests I know are good people. However none of that will prevent me from saying that what happened there was an absolute disgrace, and the people in charge of the church were criminals in my eyes.

Orior

Quote from: muppet on June 24, 2014, 04:04:11 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 24, 2014, 03:57:41 PM
It would sicken you even more if you were accused by those same anti Catholics of condoning paedophilia. The church never facilitated child abuse (facilitation implies actually encouraging something).It certainly badly mishandled it and indeed covered it up (as is human nature) to protect its reputation, but bad an all as these things were they're still far short of facilitation

The Church facilitated Brendan Smyth's pedophilia by covering up allegations against him, silencing his accusers, moving him from parishes where he had abused, to fresh parishes where he could begin new abuse. The Church still will not reveal all of the parishes in the United States that it placed Smyth.

The above are the facts. Hiding behind accusations of anti-Catholic is simply denial.

Your accusation is that the Church hierachy fed Smyth's sick addiction, by presumably moving him off to somewhere new where he could start again. Use of the word facilitation infers that the hierarchy took some pleasure from this.

I am a simple person and need some hope to cling to, therefore I suggest the reason he was shunted around was to stop the sick bastard from abusing children. The latter day cover-up and denial is inexcusable probably a criminal offence.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orior on June 24, 2014, 04:58:04 PM
It would sicken you even more if you were accused by those same anti Catholics of condoning paedophilia. The church never facilitated child abuse (facilitation implies actually encouraging something).It certainly badly mishandled it and indeed covered it up (as is human nature) to protect its reputation, but bad an all as these things were they're still far short of facilitation

The Church facilitated Brendan Smyth's pedophilia by covering up allegations against him, silencing his accusers, moving him from parishes where he had abused, to fresh parishes where he could begin new abuse. The Church still will not reveal all of the parishes in the United States that it placed Smyth.

The above are the facts. Hiding behind accusations of anti-Catholic is simply denial.

Your accusation is that the Church hierachy fed Smyth's sick addiction, by presumably moving him off to somewhere new where he could start again. Use of the word facilitation infers that the hierarchy took some pleasure from this.

I am a simple person and need some hope to cling to, therefore I suggest the reason he was shunted around was to stop the sick b**tard from abusing children. The latter day cover-up and denial is inexcusable probably a criminal offence.

But where did they move Smyth (and the others like him)? It's not like they put him in a locked room at the bottom of a lake.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on June 24, 2014, 04:31:15 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 24, 2014, 04:13:02 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on June 24, 2014, 04:10:10 PM

What's this got to do with the topic?

If you bothered to follow the thread you would see I answered the previous post, which you conveniently deleted from your quoting of my post.

All I see is the usual twisting of the story by a few individuals to introduce the hysterical condemnation of the church.

Of course it is all you see. You didn't notice my post (nor anyone else's) regarding the journalist?
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Quote from: laoislad on June 24, 2014, 04:59:26 PM
Where would one see this video........

Stop trying to being this back on topic, slaphead, lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

theskull1

I am a simple person and need some hope to cling to, therefore I suggest the reason he was shunted around was to stop the sick b**tard from abusing children. The latter day cover-up and denial is inexcusable probably a criminal offence.

That's some inference

Your reasoning on your second point would be the same as dragging an alcoholic out of one pub and into another one to stop him drinking ... how much logical reasoning does one man need to work out what would happen? 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

muppet

Your understanding of the word 'facilitated' is different from mine then. How does the definition of 'facilitated' imply that the facilitator took pleasure in the act?
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on June 24, 2014, 05:03:25 PM
Of course it is all you see. You didn't notice my post (nor anyone else's) regarding the journalist?

I saw it. She's a geebag. Still don't know why it moved into a different conversation about the church.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on June 24, 2014, 04:45:45 PM
Facilitating means actively encouraging.The Church has admitted its faults and failings, the Pope has apologised, it now has structures in place to prevent recurrence.If the great and good of this country can overlook the brutality meted out to generations of Irish people of all ages to wine and dine with the British Queen (who rather than apologise, simply wishes things were done differently or not at all) then maybe it's time to stop persecuting Catholicism

Ah lads - he is taking the piss - no one could believe this shite.

muppet

Quote from: Zip Code on June 24, 2014, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 24, 2014, 04:45:45 PM
Facilitating means actively encouraging.The Church has admitted its faults and failings, the Pope has apologised, it now has structures in place to prevent recurrence.If the great and good of this country can overlook the brutality meted out to generations of Irish people of all ages to wine and dine with the British Queen (who rather than apologise, simply wishes things were done differently or not at all) then maybe it's time to stop persecuting Catholicism

Ah lads - he is taking the piss - no one could believe this shite.

Sadly it is believable that he sees the Church as the real victim of the child abuse scandals.
MWWSI 2017

Champion The Wonder Horse

Where is this Good Shepherd chapel?  Near the church of the same name?

T Fearon

The church has admitted culpability and has apologised,all very well to sit here retrospectively with hindsight and persecute it for failings for which it had admitted responsibility.But why then do we wine and dine with the British Queen after the centuries of injustice including the indiscriminate murder of Dubliners a mere 40 years ago?

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on June 24, 2014, 05:43:09 PM
The church has admitted culpability and has apologised,all very well to sit here retrospectively with hindsight and persecute it for failings for which it had admitted responsibility.But why then do we wine and dine with the British Queen after the centuries of injustice including the indiscriminate murder of Dubliners a mere 40 years ago?

Please show where the Church, in particular the Vatican, admitted 'culpability'.

By contrast I will demonstrate how the Vatican claims it can only act within it's jurisdiction and is not responsible for events outside the Vatican: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/06/vatican-figures-disciplined-priests-sex-abuse "...The Vatican's UN ambassador in Geneva, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, revealed the figures on Tuesday during a second day of grilling by a committee monitoring implementation of the UN treaty against torture.

Tomasi insisted the convention applied only inside the tiny Vatican City state...."
MWWSI 2017

muppet

More:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/04/us-vatican-abuse-idUSBRE9B304620131204

"....In response to a series of tough questions posed by the U.N. Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the Holy See said it would not release information on its internal investigations into abuse cases unless required to do so by a request from a state or government to cooperate in legal proceedings....."

"...."The Holy See does not exercise effective control over the local activities of Catholic institutions around the world," the response read, indicating the Catholic Church's central administration could only be held accountable for events within the Vatican City State...."

As far as I can see, the Vatican continues to completely deny 'culpability'.
MWWSI 2017