Video in Good Shepherd Chapel - Niamh Horan

Started by T Fearon, June 23, 2014, 11:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

It would sicken you even more if you were accused by those same anti Catholics of condoning paedophilia. The church never facilitated child abuse (facilitation implies actually encouraging something).It certainly badly mishandled it and indeed covered it up (as is human nature) to protect its reputation, but bad an all as these things were they're still far short of facilitation

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on June 24, 2014, 03:57:41 PM
It would sicken you even more if you were accused by those same anti Catholics of condoning paedophilia. The church never facilitated child abuse (facilitation implies actually encouraging something).It certainly badly mishandled it and indeed covered it up (as is human nature) to protect its reputation, but bad an all as these things were they're still far short of facilitation

The Church facilitated Brendan Smyth's pedophilia by covering up allegations against him, silencing his accusers, moving him from parishes where he had abused, to fresh parishes where he could begin new abuse. The Church still will not reveal all of the parishes in the United States that it placed Smyth.

The above are the facts. Hiding behind accusations of anti-Catholic is simply denial.
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: T Fearon on June 23, 2014, 11:06:29 PM
This was debated on Good Morning Ulster, and a Niamh Horan a journalist apparently, who said "she believed in God and went to Mass" but then ridiculed the attitude of the church to simulated sex on the altar, as if they should be welcoming this and even celebrating it taking place in a church!

Ffs now I can understand ( though don't agree with) anti Catholicism, atheism, etc but I doubt even the most cynical atheist would be so insensitive or stupid to think that the Church should tolerate videos of this nature filmed inside churches

Absolutely no justification for this type of video taking place in a chapel.
That journalist obviously looking for a bit of publicity. No class.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on June 24, 2014, 04:04:11 PM

The Church facilitated Brendan Smyth's pedophilia by covering up allegations against him, silencing his accusers, moving him from parishes where he had abused, to fresh parishes where he could begin new abuse. The Church still will not reveal all of the parishes in the United States that it placed Smyth.

The above are the facts. Hiding behind accusations of anti-Catholic is simply denial.

What's this got to do with the topic?

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on June 24, 2014, 03:57:41 PM

Stop squirming and lying. Nobody accused you of condoning paedophilia. I accused you of condoning the facilitation of paedophilia.

The Concise OED:
facilitate v.t. Make easy, promote, help forward, (action or result);

The actions of the official church have been shown, proven and implicitly accepted, even by themselves by their apologies, to have conformed with at least the first and main part of the definition, probably the third part and arguably the second part. (Though it need only fit one part to meet the definition.)

Now that you can't claim to misunderstand the definition of "facilitate", you have the opportunity to withdraw your denial that the church facilitated child sex abuse. You can also take the opportunity to retract your denial that the church tolerated child sex abuse.

While you're at it, you might explain the bizarre logic that excuses a crime on the basis that it's "human nature" to lie, cover up and thwart the pursuit of justice.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on June 24, 2014, 04:10:10 PM

If you bothered to follow the thread you would see I answered the previous post, which you conveniently deleted from your quoting of my post.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 24, 2014, 04:14:29 PM
These threads always go down the same road.

Why do some people wish to divert a thread towards a different topic so as better to rant? Can a thread not just be about what it is about, without people piling in to try and resolve what they believe to be unfinished business from some other thread?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on June 24, 2014, 04:13:02 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on June 24, 2014, 04:10:10 PM

If you bothered to follow the thread you would see I answered the previous post, which you conveniently deleted from your quoting of my post.

All I see is the usual twisting of the story by a few individuals to introduce the hysterical condemnation of the church.

T Fearon

I don't take any pleasure from reading these threads, the anti Catholicism here rivals that to be found in Orange Halls.I do not condone paedophilia nor do I believe the Church facilitated it.Like it or not covering up,  passing the buck, moving the problem on has been ingrained in every organisation staffed by humans since time immemorial.Like most serious Catholics I was/am shocked saddened and disgusted by the child abuse revelations.

I never intended this thread to move into child abuse (though I might have known it would). My main source of incredulity was actually the opinion of a journalist that stated that the Church should tolerate sex videos on altars.

AZOffaly

You don't believe the church facilitated it? What would you say is a good word to describe the process of knowingly covering up such behaviour, and discretely moving the offender into a brand new area where he could re-offend? What would you call not reporting the offender to the police?

imtommygunn

It's always the same and is the same for Cardinal Brady though. It just seems that despite the road these threads continually go down and the fact you are supposed to be an avid supporter of Brady or/and the catholic faith you go ahead and drag them down the road of being chastised again and again??

I don't understand I have to say.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hardy on June 24, 2014, 03:56:57 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2014, 03:47:24 PM
Firstly Horan came across as a ranting gobsh**e. Secondly who was hurt and offended by this video? It wasn't the Paedo priests. It was honest god fearing church going people. It sickens my h**e when anti church posters tar every catholic with the same brush as the paedos and the Bishops who covered it up. Just because you have lost faith or have decided to use the scandals as a reason to opt out...as is your right you do not have the right to say that the parishioners of Good Sheppard shouldn't be annoyed because of the actions of some in the church.

I truly don't believe this shit. Point out where, in this thread, anyone has "tar(red) every catholic with the same brush as the paedos and the Bishops who covered it up".

Go on. I'll wait.

OK - nothing to be found. Why are you making stuff up? Never happened.
Go back over the posts, there are many examples of generalisations.

Applesisapples

Actually Niamh Horan on the radio introduced the scandals within the church as part of here rant.

T Fearon

Facilitating means actively encouraging.The Church has admitted its faults and failings, the Pope has apologised, it now has structures in place to prevent recurrence.If the great and good of this country can overlook the brutality meted out to generations of Irish people of all ages to wine and dine with the British Queen (who rather than apologise, simply wishes things were done differently or not at all) then maybe it's time to stop persecuting Catholicism

theskull1

RC leaders the world over facilitated/covered up these atrocities, yet Tony is disgusted at some daft idiots frolicking on an alter yet he fawns over one of those leaders who played a very important part in role in the cover up here locally. His sheepish idolatry to Brady regardless of the evidence and his refusal to accept he is in any way guilty to the point he's too morally corrupted to lead those of faith is typical of the devout it would seem.   

THIS IS "THE WHY" I RESPONDED INITIALLY IN THE WAY I DID TO THIS THREAD.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera