Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Monaghan deserved the victory. Tyrone are at a serious crossroads, well they have been at this crossroads for a few years now. A clean rebuild is needed and 100% faith put in the younger players coming through. Has been mentioned here on many many occasions, that MH has been with the older players for a long time and thinks maybe he owes them as much footy as possible. Sentimentality doesn't win matches (that said MH knows a lot more than I do)

2mins injury time...holy jeebus. GAA officials,  please wake the fcuk up to the fact that timekeeping needs to be taken out of the refs hands. Players going down in the last 10 mins feigning injury and watching the clock tick tocking away grinds my gears. (Talking generally here, not necessarily about today's match)
Up Monaghan

Maguire01

Quote from: Jinxy on June 15, 2014, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on June 15, 2014, 05:26:14 PM
2 mins injury time???????????????????????????????
How?

It makes you wonder, does anyone actually calculate how much time is lost to stoppages?
Or is it all just arbitrary, i.e. we didn't need an ambulance/fire engine on the pitch therefore 2 mins injury time will do.
In my years of going to matches, it's 1 or 2 minutes, unless there has been one significant stoppage. Far from accurate i'd imagine, but that's the way in generally rolls. If Morgan hadn't taken so long with the free, they'd probably have had another chance within the 2 minutes.

kickingmule

And they failed to take them, Tyrone were poor today, yet could easily have stolen the draw.
But well done Monaghan, you deserved your win,

Rois

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 10:04:18 PM
How?

It makes you wonder, does anyone actually calculate how much time is lost to stoppages?
Or is it all just arbitrary, i.e. we didn't need an ambulance/fire engine on the pitch therefore 2 mins injury time will do.
In my years of going to matches, it's 1 or 2 minutes, unless there has been one significant stoppage. Far from accurate i'd imagine, but that's the way in generally rolls. If Morgan hadn't taken so long with the free, they'd probably have had another chance within the 2 minutes.
Some wear two watches and have a stopwatch for significant stoppages. (Benefit of having a father who assessed inter county refs). I admit I was surprised by only two minutes given the number of serious injuries to Monaghan players. I hope they're all ok. It made the second half rather boring.

It's crap getting beaten but no real lasting disappointment as we never at any stage deserved to win.
And this is probably a backhanded compliment, but my favourite parts of the game were the two occasions Clerkin tried the shoulder tackle he's usually an expert at and ended up on his ass (once against Cavanagh).
Also - the goal scorer was pretty unsportsmanlike when his goal celebration consisted of him running straight over to Peter Harte and roaring in his face (which the ref scolded him for).
(I never see the bad stuff Tyrone get up to but enough people on here do, so I just thought I'd point this one out for a bit of balance)
Monaghan look well organised and I have no doubts they'll be around for the business end.

Fuzzman

Congrats Monaghan on a good win.
His deserved to win by far more and showed us all his poor we can be. Mattie Donnelly is the only decent player from today and for Mickey to leave SON on at FF for the whole game shows up again what I and many others are staying for some time.
We just don't have the players, hunger or know how any more but judging by a lot of posts on here that is delighting the majority of ye neutrals.
Well done Monaghan and I hope ye go on to win Ulster and yer never know why might might again. I'd say you have more scope for improvement than we have though

Main Street

Quote from: Rois on June 15, 2014, 10:25:57 PM
How?

Some wear two watches and have a stopwatch for significant stoppages. (Benefit of having a father who assessed inter county refs). I admit I was surprised by only two minutes given the number of serious injuries to Monaghan players. I hope they're all ok. It made the second half rather boring.

It's crap getting beaten but no real lasting disappointment as we never at any stage deserved to win.
And this is probably a backhanded compliment, but my favourite parts of the game were the two occasions Clerkin tried the shoulder tackle he's usually an expert at and ended up on his ass (once against Cavanagh).
Also - the goal scorer was pretty trampish when his goal celebration consisted of him running straight over to Peter Harte and roaring in his face (which the ref scolded him for).
(I never see the bad stuff Tyrone get up to but enough people on here do, so I just thought I'd point this one out for a bit of balance)
Monaghan look well organised and I have no doubts they'll be around for the business end.
That didn't look good but we are not aware of what Peter (trampishly) did to deserve that special attention.

Wildweasel74

Just seeing the Hughes cavanagh tackle on rte there now, how in the name of god did the ref not see cavanagh drag him down, its so blatant on the TV, Ref must been well out of position or unsighted

LeoMc

Quote from: Main Street on June 15, 2014, 10:58:37 PM
How?

Also - the goal scorer was pretty trampish when his goal celebration consisted of him running straight over to Peter Harte and roaring in his face (which the ref scolded him for).
That didn't look good but we are not aware of what Peter (trampishly) did to deserve that special attention.
Are you or are you just insinuating and throwing the T word in there?

imtommygunn

I thought cavanagh's diving, dragging of arms etc etc was pretty bad in general today.

Funny game. Despite monaghan appearing better they couldn't shake tyrone off. Mcaliskey should have hit that free too.

I think tyrone could learn a lot from this game and come on from it. I think o'neill is a better sub to have these days. Also i've never understood why mcaliskey doesn't start- really worth his place.

Monaghan could do with stopping runners from half back quicker. Donnelly was destroying them. Mone was superb though as was the free taking of mcmanus.

screenexile

Cavanagh was fouled @ 69.58 and Morgans kick was waved wide @ 70.52... They've only themselves to blame!!

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on June 15, 2014, 11:09:41 PM
Cavanagh was fouled @ 69.58 and Morgans kick was waved wide @ 70.52... They've only themselves to blame!!
It took a lackadaisical Tyrone one minute  to miss that free. If Sean hadn't spent half that time rolling around the grass  he could have got to his feet  immediatley and looked for the quick free kick to somebody in a good position, but old habits die hard for Sean.

Wildweasel74

Cavanagh getting it big time on rte now, no brolly to blame there now lads, its time to open your eyes!

Main Street

Quote from: LeoMc on June 15, 2014, 11:03:09 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 15, 2014, 10:58:37 PM
How?

Are you or are you just insinuating and throwing the T word in there?
I am just repeating the trampish word used  by Rois.

Rois

I didn't realise it was such an offensive word - sorry. I meant really unsportsmanlike so if it means anything other than that, I really am sorry and obviously too naive to be trying to use the description of behaviour.
I didn't notice what Peter Harte did to warrant it but Main Street must have seen something which might justify it. But he'll blame Peter Harte for his player's unsightly behaviour and me for him using the word that needs stars...hmmm...
As I said, I'm blind to Tyrone faults, but plenty on here aren't (nor from the Sunday Game are RTE, why in god's name they went to a Tyrone v Meath game to pick up a time wasting point when on both occasions Meath had the ball I just don't know!).

imtommygunn

The meath thing was a bit odd. It was like a dig at tyrone. Don't get me wrong i think they're right however it was like they were trying to rub harte's nose in it. Maybe a bit of payback for no interviews.