Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

It would be great if Monaghan could push on further from last year .

Schkite

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 15, 2014, 04:34:10 PM
Monaghan should have won this by 10, hope they don`t take Armagh for granted the way Tyrone took them, I think they are well capable of beating Donegal, Stephen O`Neill at 33 only has something to offer off the bench, better with Donnelly in full forward. When the pressure is on Morgan is very flaky, he should be told not to be coming out the field soloing the ball full stop. Chris McGuinness shooting and option taking was terrible

I don't like to pick out players, especially after a win like that, but I'd have to agree. There were a good few who had poor shots, even Darren Hughes who is normally brilliant from long-range, but McGuinness had a few poor shots today and even one could have been the difference if Morgan slotted over that free. He's normally more accurate and decisive, so I'd just put it down as a bad day and he'll learn from it.
Dick also deserves a mention, didn't think he'd be able to last 70 minutes and I was sure Lennon would be on at some point, but Dick put in a solid shift and was a big part of the move that led to the goal.

The Beard

deserved win for monaghan on a day when all tyrones frailties where shown up. only for sean cavanagh we would outside top 10 in ireland. brilliant today although i appreciate the frustration of other supporters because he does go down easy and buy the free, but we won't complain about that. its the ref's job to spot that. tyrone pretty poor up front.

stevie may retire for second time, doesn't have the legs but mickey has to accept some responsibility for putting in a man who has played almost zero competitive football for over a year. especially over the likes of mcaliskey who was sharp when he came on. stevie has been reduced to huff and puff arounds the middle for dirty ball because he hasn't the turn of pace to play inside.

mccurry is our best forward but he's too light to lead the line on his own, needs a ball winner in with him and play off him rather than hoofing a 60yard ball in and expecting him to do it all himself. again mickey has to take responsibility for this. why persist with mattie d ff in league and mckenna cup if you point blank refuse to play him there in championship. what was the point? why waste his time instead of maybe developing somebody like dan mcnulty into that role? very poor

how the nephew managed stay on the field i do not know. zero contribution again. good player, not doubting his quality but no matter who a player is, they need to know they aren't droppable.

much maligned defence and full back line actually did well today but overall monaghan too good. thats thrones season over anyway i doubt, had a shot at ulster but nowhere near good enough for all ireland.

Hereiam

Both mcginley and harte failed to show up today. Mickey should have changed one or both of them.

Main Street

Quote from: Hereiam on June 15, 2014, 05:02:08 PM
Both mcginley and harte failed to show up today. Mickey should have changed one or both of them.
There were too many fires to put out for Tyrone, not even Mickey can perform miracles.

dublin7

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 04:35:47 PM
In my opinion, Sean was fouled on each and every one of those occasions and they highlight how the difficult life has become for the referees. With a player running at pace he will go down on contact, it's a soccer thing to claim diving and it was Monaghan tactic to claim that on all occasions that Sean was fouled. How Mone had the face to claim a dive after his head high tackle, when in the first half he was diving like Klinnsmann when McGinley bumped into him after a free. Well done to Monaghan, they are a good team who makes life hard for the opposition. Tyrone played poorly and probably did well to push them to the wire but we have a lot of work to do through the back door.

You are obviously from Tyrone so your comments cannot be taken seriously. Cavanagh's diving today was depressing to watch. What makes things worse this season is his diving is getting players black carded for doing nothing.  Mickey Harte/Cavanagh/tyrone learned Karma is a bi*ch today. I can't understand how they can criticise a referee after he fell for all Cavanagh's dives

Schkite

One other thing, I was a bit surprised to see Kieran Hughes taking the penalty, has he taken one for Monaghan before? I can't remember one. I do remember Darren scoring a good one a while ago so I thought he might have been taking it.

Bingo

Always good to win well when not playing well.

Onwards now to our dear neighbours.

Agent Orange

Schkite

Poor Joe's been at the sour grapes

Joe McMahon ‏@Bigjoemc  7m
Man of the match today for Monaghan #kinsella

sam03/05

There should have been at least 4 mins injury time.
Plus he blows time up when Tyrone on the attack.

Thought the ref had a shocking game

clarshack

Quote from: sam03/05 on June 15, 2014, 05:26:14 PM
2 mins injury time???????????????????????????????
How?

Does it really matter? Monaghan were the superior team and should have won by 5 or 6.  We can have no complaints. Don't forget the ref played a minute less in 05 AI final. We benefitted on that occasion so I don't think any Tyrone person should be complaining too much about time especially when we didn't deserve to win today. I think there are a bigger issues for Tyrone football.

clarshack

The way the Tyrone management/setup are using the lack of stoppage time as a means of deflection is a classic Alex ferguson trick.

Throw ball

Well said Clarshack.

Although disappointed Joe McMahon would be better not commenting on the referee. They may meet again.