Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: Main Street on June 15, 2014, 05:05:14 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on June 15, 2014, 05:02:08 PM
Both mcginley and harte failed to show up today. Mickey should have changed one or both of them.
There were too many fires to put out for Tyrone, not even Mickey can perform miracles.
Fair play to monaghan they fully deserved the win. Hope they follow up and progress.  For a supposedly marquee forward conor me manus has the heart of a lion.  Absolute heroic stuff.

Jinxy

Quote from: sam03/05 on June 15, 2014, 05:26:14 PM
2 mins injury time???????????????????????????????
How?

It makes you wonder, does anyone actually calculate how much time is lost to stoppages?
Or is it all just arbitrary, i.e. we didn't need an ambulance/fire engine on the pitch therefore 2 mins injury time will do.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rossiewanderer

The Tyrone management showed a total lack of class at the end.I was watching on nordie tv(the commentator was some laugh)  and it appears that a photographer was claiming that he was struck by a member of the Tyrone squad?He seemed to be pointing at the Tyrone Personnel/Team and I felt he was saying something like 'I will see you in court'

Main Street

Quote from: rrhf on June 15, 2014, 07:30:10 PM
Both mcginley and harte failed to show up today. Mickey should have changed one or both of them.
There were too many fires to put out for Tyrone, not even Mickey can perform miracles.
Fair play to monaghan they fully deserved the win. Hope they follow up and progress.  For a supposedly marquee forward conor me manus has the heart of a lion.  Absolute heroic stuff.
It's not football ability alone ,which gets a player like McManus  through the Monaghan SFC :)
I was taken aback at how both teams were a good distance away from being at championship pace. Even the crowd were merely clapping the  scores rather than roaring, ie until Monaghan scored the goal.  But it was hard to escape the feeling that this was a game played a good bit away from the intensity and quality that most here expected would happen.

We had 6 from that 2007 Ulster final,  Mone, Corey, Finlay, Clerkin, Gollogly and McManus,  and  a 7th, Lennon  on the subs bench.
I guess they won't ponder too much on the dysfunctional aspects.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

The 2 minutes of added time was clearly a ridiculous decision by the ref and in truth there should have been more added time based on the closing 15 minutes alone. Clerkin himself wasted 2 minutes rolling around ;D. The ref had a poor day really, he was conned by some theatrics on both sides and his black and yellow card decisions appeared to be totally random.

All that said, I don't think the had any great impact on the result as Monaghan were obviously the better team. Perhaps their poor record against Tyrone was to blame for their late collapse and but for that they would have won by 5 or 6, which would have been a fairer reflection of the game. I wish them all the best for the rest of the summer and hope they can reach and then do some damage in the AI series.

As for Tyrone, I wasn't surprised by the poor performance. Mickey is a legend in Tyrone and always will be but the fact is he and his coaching team have had a poor year. I said on this forum months ago that we should be looking to find something close to a settled team as quickly as possible and stick with it. Instead it's been more of what seems to have become Mickey's policy in recent years, constant changes from game to game. As such, we came into the championship with no clear idea of what the best team is and crucially pretty much nobody established  in key positions down the spine of the team. The whole style from the league seems to have been discarded. As the pundits said today, Tyrone today were disorganised and it was the same against Down. Despite what posters from other counties are saying, there are talented players in the Tyrone setup but unfortunately we are the moment a rather rudderless ship, no direction and no plan. Should win some games in the qualifiers based on the talent in the side but will fall short against any half decent opposition.

TabClear

Best team won. Don't think Morgan will worry too much about the missed free, all free takers have off days. I would be more concerned about his forays up the pitch! Nearly gifted a goal early on by taking to much out of it, albeit the corner back turned his back on play.

Aw well, scenic route beckons

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on June 15, 2014, 07:56:23 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 15, 2014, 07:30:10 PM
It's not football ability alone ,which gets a player like McManus  through the Monaghan SFC :)
I was taken aback at how both teams were a good distance away from being at championship pace. Even the crowd were merely clapping the  scores rather than roaring, ie until Monaghan scored the goal.  But it was hard to escape the feeling that this was a game played a good bit away from the intensity and quality that most here expected would happen.

We had 6 from that 2007 Ulster final,  Mone, Corey, Finlay, Clerkin, Gollogly and McManus,  and  a 7th, Lennon  on the subs bench.
I guess they won't ponder too much on the dysfunctional aspects.

Getting roughed up by Blayney and Magheracloone defenders is enough to toughen up any young forward!  ;D

Darren Hughes was on the '07 panel aswell wasn't he?

SuperHo

Heard tony donnelly speak after and just thought to meself is this football management or failed takeover coup by a multinational.  It really feels the whole set up cant see the wood for the trees. Son is a gent and a great tyrone gael but he shoulda been off early on.  Jebus cripes its a game of football. All the smart scientific strategies cant kick a ball for ye.  Hope louth win so some SERIOUS consideration can be given. Dunno the answer. God rest Paidi but he was often spot on bout the modern game.

sam03/05

kickingmule

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 15, 2014, 03:45:14 PM
Monaghan about six points the better team yet they almost allowed Tyrone to grab undeserved draw.
[/quTote]
They scored 1.4 from open play!!!!  Tyrone scored 0.9 so where are you getting the six points from?
Monaghan deserved to win with a point to spare.
Very little between these teams.

Maguire01

Quote from: kickingmule on June 15, 2014, 09:28:54 PM
Monaghan about six points the better team yet they almost allowed Tyrone to grab undeserved draw.
They scored 1.4 from open play!!!!  Tyrone scored 0.9 so where are you getting the six points from?
Monaghan missed at least 2 clear goal chances - Tyrone didn't get a sniff at goal all day.

kickingmule

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 09:46:36 PM
Quote from: kickingmule on June 15, 2014, 09:28:54 PM
Monaghan missed at least 2 clear goal chances - Tyrone didn't get a sniff at goal all day.

babarino

Not long back and about to settle down to Sunday Game, with a couple of 'cold ones' and some 'wee buns' the man from Strabane was going on about.

Defence bossed proceedings for Monaghan, Fintan Kelly was our man of the match. Midfield had really good periods and Clerkin stood out for us.

Our forward unit have had better days, but they stuck with their task and won enough possession to keep us on the front foot. We should have gone in at half time six points up. Jack McCarron should have been brought on.

For Tyrone Mattie Donnelly was very impressive. Colm Cavanagh put in a good shift too. Some of the Tyronies aren't happy with Harte today. I saw him in Newry against Down and thought he was immense. He was never going to get that much space against Monaghan though.

I agree with the Tyrone man post previous page re the black cards - what I saw they were deserved and I was close.

Onwards and Upwards - Muineachán abú!

Maguire01

Great result and great to get that monkey off our back - that's all Ulster teams beaten by this 'current' Monaghan squad, and whilst there is a lot of room for improvement, there's a real chance to defend the Ulster title. There were clearly a lot of nerves today - a lot of unforced errors that can be cut out, but given the layoff since the league final, that's maybe not a surprise. We should hopefully be a bit more polished for Armagh.

Whilst it was patchy enough, there were some great Monaghan performances - Drew Wylie, Kelly, Clerkin, Corey all had very good games and Malone put in a lot of work. McManus was rusty from play but his frees were perfect. Beggan scored two lovely points and was very good under the high ball - unlucky to concede the 45. I would have had Gollogly in a lot earlier (for McGuinness, who didn't have a great day), - didn't have much time to make an impact, but got an important hand in in defence. I would like to have seen Finlay in 15 minutes earlier too, to see if he might have been able to add a score in that barren period. Kieran Hughes missed some great chances, but then scored a few nice points - unlucky with the penalty.

The black card - or at least its application - is a shambles, and for anyone not from Tyrone, Cavanagh is infuriating. As with last year's quarter final, he fouled Darren Hughes, blatantly, yet again the ref totally missed this and again, Hughes is carded. How are refs not aware of this at this stage?! (Tyrone can argue about the added time, but they got score from the resulting free in, when it should have been a free out.) I also can't understand how Cavanagh avoided a black card for dragging Clerkin down at the end.