Ulster Senior Football Final 17th July - Derry v Donegal

Started by tbrick18, June 26, 2011, 09:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 04, 2011, 03:44:03 PM
I'm not particularly complaining about going to Clones for this final so dont get me wrong.
However, I dont agree with this perception that Clones is the traditional venue for the Ulster final.
Sounds like something the OO would come out with...."its traditional we walk down this road so we'll keep doing it no matter what"...

It wasnt that long ago that the ulster final was played in croker as the need was there.
I think it only makes sense that the same logic is applied when deciding venue for games with lower attendances. Surely from an economic point of view this argument stands. Some people in the Ulster council seem to be swayed by the economic advantage the Ulster final (and semi's) have in the town of Clones itself IMO. I think this is skewed logic....why are the good people of Clones any more/less entitled to the cash bonus provided by big games than those of Belfast/Omagh/Armagh or even Derry. Cooney said as much himself in his interview about bringing the semis to Clones....he said Clones needed this.

Derry winning backfired on the publicans. The buckfast brigade went home sober and the 650 derry people had no money left after paying the fuel bill :D

Armaghniac is correct. VAT is the big thing here. She'll not be played in the black north while this is the case. It'll be interesting to see what happens when this big white elephant/danny bowl is built in west belfast. Don't get me started on that!!!

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on July 04, 2011, 02:54:23 PM

QuoteData from Google maps.

Just be aware that Google maps gives bollix cross-border routes in many cases. AARouteplanner is much safer.

You can drag the route around to make those adjustments in Google Maps though. Besides, I only gave data to the nearest 5 miles. Just making a general point that Clones is fair all around whereas Belfast is not when Donegal are involved.

Google Maps BTW won't even let you calculate from places like Carndonagh, so I just made a rough guess and added 25 miles to the Derry figures.

tbrick18

Quote from: armaghniac on July 04, 2011, 04:00:21 PM
One reason the games were in Croke Park was to avoid having an all-ticket game and to allow kids in free. This seems a valid reason for having the game in Clones too.

QuoteSome people in the Ulster council seem to be swayed by the economic advantage the Ulster final (and semi's) have in the town of Clones itself IMO.

it has been suggested that there is an economic benefit to the Ulster Council to do with VAT, and this is relevant too.

Fair enough....if it's cheaper to host the game there then I'd have no complaints.
I just got the impression from Cooney's interview that a major part of the decision was because Clones needed it.

But I would still argue it's not cheaper for the travelling support to always go to Clones for finals/semi finals. This could well backfire, as I think it already has for the semi's this year, and the reduced attendance means reduced income regardless of the VAT savings.
I suppose it would be difficult to get it right either way.

Anyway, we're kind of digressing a bit.

Derry for Ulster!  ;D

J70

Are Derry running or did they run a round of club championship matches?

McGuinness didn't want the Donegal CB to and it looks like his own club have made his worst fears come true. But so far I've only heard of McLoone getting injured. Hopefully that's it!

sheamy

Full round of games was held weekend before last. Impossible to square the fixtures circle but sticking to whatever is agreed at start of the year is fairest for all. Can't go putting club preparations on hold at a week or two notice.

leaveherinsir

Jaysus lads this game was always going to be in Clones, no point even debating it really. Anyway on the game, cant see it being as open as the Armagh game somehow! Derry's best chance of winning would seem to lay in their ability to take long range scores, something which let Tyrone down against Donegal. In that respect Bradley and Gilligan may not have the same influence in open play as the last day. It may be the likes of J.Kielt, Lynch and maybe the half backs who need to do the scoring (hopefuly big Diver will resist the urge to shoot from distance!) From an entertainment perspective i hope Donegal are'nt as cynical as they were aginst Tyrone, but i cant see it happening. Cant call it at the minute if truth be told.

sheamy

Quote from: J70 on July 04, 2011, 04:39:49 PM
Are Derry running or did they run a round of club championship matches?

McGuinness didn't want the Donegal CB to and it looks like his own club have made his worst fears come true. But so far I've only heard of McLoone getting injured. Hopefully that's it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/14027158.stm

50 man brawl sounds like some craic!

Serious issues between county board and the management now I'd say.

How many county players would the two teams have between them?

theskull1

Somebody tell Jim McGuinness about the 13 day rule
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

donegal lad

County board were right in playing the club games at the weekend Leo is the only county player who got injured and it wasn't during the game was after the final whistle

shawshank

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

DoireGael

Bring back the spoofer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBPMg-FHIEA

I'm sure 'Martin Mc Hugh' will be chatting some serious dung over the next few weeks.

tbrick18

Quote from: DoireGael on July 05, 2011, 03:22:39 PM
Bring back the spoofer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBPMg-FHIEA

I'm sure 'Martin Mc Hugh' will be chatting some serious dung over the next few weeks.

Thats is funny as fook :)

Donegal Danny

St Eunan's Letterkenny are holding a big Ulster Final preview night next Wednesday at 8.30, please look at the link below for more details. All Derry supporters more than welcome.lol. Thanks for looking.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=210649922310995

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Need a big game from Murphy (hope he brings his shooting boots), McLoone will be a loss, but we have enough cover, Derry boys I know in Belfast aren't giving themselves a chance! Personally I think it will be close enough, with Donegal just doing enough to win by a couple of points.
Tbc....