Ulster Senior Football Final 17th July - Derry v Donegal

Started by tbrick18, June 26, 2011, 09:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drici

Potentially busted jaw.

J70

Quote from: Bluebell on July 03, 2011, 08:08:28 PM
Considering the crowds at this year's championship matches the two semi finals could have been played in Omagh or Enniskillen the reason Clones got it was tax. Announcing the venue for the ulster final before it's even decided was a massive mistake for the ulster council Derry V Donegla will not be a mistake and Omagh, Enniskillen or even Belfast would have been a better option for the final. At least Derry fans might have come out in their thousands to Belfast. The ulster council got a slap in the face one for taking us to Clones for the ulster semi and its about to happen again. Shame on you!

Omagh or Enniskillen, perhaps, if they could handle the numbers, but Belfast? What about the Donegal people? Should our supporters, most of whom will have further to travel than any Derry men, have to go all the way there just so a few more Derry people might bother their arse to come out and support their team?

J70

Quote from: drici on July 03, 2011, 08:48:35 PM
Potentially busted jaw.

Well he's gone for the season then. Bad luck after the spring he had, when he was our best player until he broke his ankle. Big blow for us. I doubt there'll be much sympathy for him though, especially in Tyrone!

donegal lad

Yeah Leo in hospital with a suspected broken jaw not confirmed yet tho sounds like there was ugly scenes at the end of the game

tbrick18

Yous Donegal boys doin a Derry? It's usually us that bate up our county players before a big match!

Bogball XV

Quote from: J70 on July 03, 2011, 08:54:09 PMShould our supporters, most of whom will have further to travel than any Derry men,
They're not all travelling from the states for the game?

That aside the venue is fine for the game - this time.

J70

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 04, 2011, 10:01:51 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 03, 2011, 08:54:09 PMShould our supporters, most of whom will have further to travel than any Derry men,

Its the fairest option every time. Which is why the Ulster Council correctly doesn't drag us to Belfast anymore if we're not playing Antrim.

Coleraine: to Clones 85 miles; Belfast 55 miles
Derry: to Clones 75 miles; Belfast 70 miles
Limavady: to Clones 85 miles; Belfast 65 miles
Maghera: to Clones 65 miles; Belfast 40 miles

Letterkenny: to Clones 80 miles; Belfast 95 miles
Donegal: to Clones 60 miles; Belfast 110 miles
Ardara: to Clones 85 miles; Belfast 120 miles
Gweedore: to Clones 105 miles; Belfast 125 miles
Carndonagh: to Clones 100 miles; Belfast 95 miles

Data from Google maps.

tbrick18

Quote from: J70 on July 04, 2011, 12:59:42 PM

Its the fairest option every time. Which is why the Ulster Council correctly doesn't drag us to Belfast anymore if we're not playing Antrim.

Data from Google maps.

Definitely Clones is more central for BOTH teams for this match. However, would Omagh not have been sufficient for this game?
I cant see it being a sell out in Clones, Omagh would have been closer to both counties and i'd say it's capacity would be enough for this game (18500). If derry triple their support form the last game that would still only be about 6K....so I think it should be more than capable of hosting it.
I dont have a major gripe with the final being in Clones given it's not favoring one team over the other. It's more that I dont agree with the financial aspect of it for the supporters.

J70

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 04, 2011, 01:45:48 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 04, 2011, 12:59:42 PM

Data from Google maps.

Definitely Clones is more central for BOTH teams for this match. However, would Omagh not have been sufficient for this game?
I cant see it being a sell out in Clones, Omagh would have been closer to both counties and i'd say it's capacity would be enough for this game (18500). If derry triple their support form the last game that would still only be about 6K....so I think it should be more than capable of hosting it.
I dont have a major gripe with the final being in Clones given it's not favoring one team over the other. It's more that I dont agree with the financial aspect of it for the supporters.

Fair enough, no argument there. I would think that 18,000 should be adequate. However, Donegal do have a large bandwagon which can come out for big games, although I'm not sure if the hype/optimism/delusion level would be big enough at home to bring them out just yet! Its our first Ulster final for five years though, and the dreaded Armagh men are not the opposition this time, so you never know!

J70

Quote from: donegal lad on July 03, 2011, 09:03:27 PM
Yeah Leo in hospital with a suspected broken jaw not confirmed yet tho sounds like there was ugly scenes at the end of the game

A couple of breaks around the eye. Must have taken some punch! Disgraceful scenes at the end from what I've read.

screenexile

The Ulster Final is always in Clones and that's it! Whatever about other games not being at a suitable venue everyone knows the Ulster Final is in Clones and if you make it that far you generally don't begrudge paying a few extra pound to head down for the day.

armaghniac

This is a sad thread, where when Derry reach the first Ulster final in a decade their supporters want a restricted venue where an all ticket game would be needed rather than the traditional large venue where everyone could come, bring their kids, and support their team.  This is an intriguing Ulster final, a bit of novelty. So a couple of thousand neutrals might go and a similar number from Cavan and Armagh might attend the minor game. It is a sad thing that there might be almost as many Cavan people as Derry people there!

QuoteData from Google maps.

Just be aware that Google maps gives bollix cross-border routes in many cases. AARouteplanner is much safer.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sheamy

Quote from: armaghniac on July 04, 2011, 02:54:23 PM
This is a sad thread, where when Derry reach the first Ulster final in a decade their supporters want a restricted venue where an all ticket game would be needed rather than the traditional large venue where everyone could come, bring their kids, and support their team.  This is an intriguing Ulster final, a bit of novelty. So a couple of thousand neutrals might go and a similar number from Cavan and Armagh might attend the minor game. It is a sad thing that there might be almost as many Cavan people as Derry people there!

QuoteData from Google maps.

Just be aware that Google maps gives bollix cross-border routes in many cases. AARouteplanner is much safer.

Bollocks!

Firstly, this is not what this thread is about. One person posted an alternative view.

Secondly, I was one of the most vocal in speaking out on here against the choice of venue for the semi final. It was a purely commerical decision related to vat and numbers of covered stand tickets (verses casement).

However, as screenexile just said, this is the final. It's always in Clones, it's traditional and we've no problem with that. Thank god we're finally there after a decade of pissing about.

The Ulster council were forced into ticket concessions and group rates for kids (announced 2-3 days before the semi-final right enough) but credit where it is due, they've finally got pricing a little more in line with what people can pay.

In particular the '50 for 50' offer is superb meaning that alot of young cubs can get to the game for next to nothing if their clubs lay on buses or charge a minimum fee for it.

However, I still don't expect many over 20,000 at this. Perhaps it's a statement on the health of Ulster football at the top level. You had over 40,000 in Killarney yesterday because it was the meeting on two potential all-ireland champions. You'd have got that and more when both Tyrone and Armagh were in the top 2-3 in the country.

tbrick18

I'm not particularly complaining about going to Clones for this final so dont get me wrong.
However, I dont agree with this perception that Clones is the traditional venue for the Ulster final.
Sounds like something the OO would come out with...."its traditional we walk down this road so we'll keep doing it no matter what"...

It wasnt that long ago that the ulster final was played in croker as the need was there.
I think it only makes sense that the same logic is applied when deciding venue for games with lower attendances. Surely from an economic point of view this argument stands. Some people in the Ulster council seem to be swayed by the economic advantage the Ulster final (and semi's) have in the town of Clones itself IMO. I think this is skewed logic....why are the good people of Clones any more/less entitled to the cash bonus provided by big games than those of Belfast/Omagh/Armagh or even Derry. Cooney said as much himself in his interview about bringing the semis to Clones....he said Clones needed this.

armaghniac

One reason the games were in Croke Park was to avoid having an all-ticket game and to allow kids in free. This seems a valid reason for having the game in Clones too.

QuoteSome people in the Ulster council seem to be swayed by the economic advantage the Ulster final (and semi's) have in the town of Clones itself IMO.

it has been suggested that there is an economic benefit to the Ulster Council to do with VAT, and this is relevant too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B