All Ireland U21 Football Final Cavan v Galway, 1st May Croke Park

Started by mylestheslasher, April 18, 2011, 08:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

If Cavan were good enough to win it I wouldn't begrudge it to them. The whole county is looking forward to this match. Cavan has a great fuball tradition and they haven't won an all-Ireland for a very long time.

13aside

Good luck to Cavan,hope they can do themselves and Ulster proud and win the title.

anglocelt39

Cavan manager Terry Hyland has kept faith with the side that overcame Wexford for Sunday's Cadbury All-Ireland U21FC final against Galway at Croke Park.

Gearoid McKiernan will captain the team from midfield as the Breffni County go in search of their first All-Ireland title in the grade. Their last appearance in a final was in 1996 when they lost to Kerry, but Dermot McCabe, Anthony Forde, Jason Reilly, Larry Reilly and Mickey Graham all went on to have long careers at senior level.

Cavan (U21FC v Galway): A O'Mara; F Flanagan, O Minagh, D Tighe; K Meehan, D Barkey, M Brady; G McKiernan, M Leddy; N Smith, N Murray, B Reilly; J Brady, N McDermott, P Leddy
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

GAA_Punter

coosanglen

Galwayman in response to your query about Peadar O'Griofa, unfortunately he did his cruciate a few months ago, so that will explain why he hasn't featured.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: coosanglen on April 28, 2011, 03:26:55 PM
Galwayman in response to your query about Peadar O'Griofa, unfortunately he did his cruciate a few months ago, so that will explain why he hasn't featured.

Thought he might have picked up an injury alright. Pity as he is undoubtably the best player available for the full-forward line.

Westside

Going by the comments on the most recent Cadbury's video Galway seem prepared for a packed defence from Cavan where as Terry Hyland says he is prepared for a good game because both sides play open football?? I'm interested to know how Cavan will approach this game..

The Galway captain also said they hype surrounding Cavan has taken the pressure off their favourites tag, personally I don't think there is much hype?? There is excitement no doubt but nobody is building the side up.. Most people in Cavan seem to be saying they've done great to get this far and give us a day in Croker, they'll give Galway lots of it and could win if things go well but there is certainly no sense of expectation.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on April 28, 2011, 04:15:17 PM
Going by the comments on the most recent Cadbury's video Galway seem prepared for a packed defence from Cavan where as Terry Hyland says he is prepared for a good game because both sides play open football?? I'm interested to know how Cavan will approach this game..

The Galway captain also said they hype surrounding Cavan has taken the pressure off their favourites tag, personally I don't think there is much hype?? There is excitement no doubt but nobody is building the side up.. Most people in Cavan seem to be saying they've done great to get this far and give us a day in Croker, they'll give Galway lots of it and could win if things go well but there is certainly no sense of expectation.

I agree its more hope than expectation. I also don't agree that Cavan use a packed defense either, as a default. They have deployed a sweeper at times and they normally play an extra man in midfield leaving 2 in the FF line but its not packed defence like Donegal do. Sure all the better if they prepare for tactics that aren't used against them!

Westside

True Myles, they did it against Wexford for a period because they had to, opening things up when the team's legs were gone would have been suicide. But in general Cavan are not defensive, they work extremely hard and pressure all over the pitch but a lot of their game is great to watch, high fielding direct quality ball and flooding forward at speed from midfield. They are cute at the back and are Tyrone-esque in stopping dangerous moves when necessary.. Cynical at times but necessary I believe..

Perhaps it's all the years of hurt but I'm finding it hard to be optimistic..

Milltown Row2

Galway favourites for this. Based on beating a good Cork team. Cavan beat a very good Tyrone team (albeit who'd played a lot of games, extra time stuff) would be more an even type game here, and will plum for Cavan as they are the better priced.

Might cover a draw for a couple of quid. ;)

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mylestheslasher

I am optimistic. Galway have a good midfield but let's not forget so do we. For example we had tyrone taking short kick outs for the whole 2nd half. We have forwards that I believe are marginally better than galways. So I think if we break even in the middle, we have the scoring power to win a tight game. What's more I think our players truly believe they can win too.

seafoid

Galway have the advantage of winning the minor final in 2007. It should be a good match.

CC1

Lets not forget its all won on the day, form doesn't count for anything. Finals are generally tight and the slightest thing can swing it. I just hope that Cavan give it their all so that there are no regrets for any of the lads, and from there hopefully we can go on to win it.

Both teams are there on merit and luck will probably play a big part in the winning and losing of the game.

Come on the Breffnimen!
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

mylestheslasher

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2011, 10:41:36 PM
Galway have the advantage of winning the minor final in 2007. It should be a good match.

A valid point, how the teams handle the big occassion is a major factor. Galway having been there before at minor will surely be a help to them.

laoisgaa

Cavan U21 Football Final v Galway: Alan O'Mara; Mark Leddy, Oisin Minagh, Darragh Tighe, Kevin Meehan, Damien Barkey, Michael Brady; Gearoid Mc Kiernan, Fergal Flanagan; Niall Smith, Niall Murray, Barry Reilly; Jack Brady, Niall Mcdermott, Packie Leddy.