All Ireland U21 Football Final Cavan v Galway, 1st May Croke Park

Started by mylestheslasher, April 18, 2011, 08:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trim blue

Thanks for posting Myles great stuff, delighted for all those young lads and what they have achieved so far, great too that they are getting to play in Croker, POD also kept a fantastic diary on the Boro website about the goings on down there, maybe he invented the Blog without knowing it!
ah sure tog out anyway

Breffni_Yank

Thought it was a good read myself when I seen it earlier. Mate of main emailed it to me, it came straight from the Cadbury's GAA website.

Is he a student because didn't O'Mara and O'Dowd use to work together in the Cavan Post or something a few years ago?

Still can't belief a Cavan team is going to play in Croke Park. Never thought I would see the day again. Work has already been booked off! Virginia is blue and white at the minute.

seafoid

The support we have received from Cavan people as we have tried to achieve our dreams has been incredible. When the game against Tyrone was in the melting pot I remember hearing a chant of 'Cavan' thundering from the stand

I think that is what the GAA is all about.

CC1

I know O'Mara and O'Dowd through training with both of them... Two great lads! Got a call one day at work from O'Mara trying to rope me into a little piece for the Post a few years back. Asking all sorts! On the pitch he's a great shot stopper, very good hands and quick feet on him. Very calm and confident too.

Wish him and the Cavan team all the best Sunday week. Everyone is proud of what they have achieved so far, now they just have to beat Galway to get their name on the trophy, which won't be easy but they are definately good enough to do it.

Come on Cavan!
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

seafoid

there was a great buzz around Cavan between the 96 u-21 and winning Ulster the year after but then it all seemed to fizzle out.

Denn Forever

Quote from: seafoid on April 21, 2011, 03:20:56 PM
there was a great buzz around Cavan between the 96 u-21 and winning Ulster the year after but then it all seemed to fizzle out.

I think we lost Martin McHugh and that slowed thing down.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Hill16 tickets are on ticketmaster for €15 + booking fee if anyone would prefer standing.

seafoid

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 21, 2011, 06:07:46 PM

I remember following Cavan's ulster woes in the early 90s and they only won one match in 10 years or something and then they went and won it.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 21, 2011, 06:07:46 PM

That wasn't the problem imo. What happened was when we won Ulster he whole spine of the team retired. Paul O Dowd, Damian Reilly, Ciaran Brady, Bernard Morris, Stephen King and Fintan Cahill all left. That left the U21 team coming through to carry the whole thing and that was never going to work and McHugh knew that too. Added to that that some of the U21's were starting to think there shite smelt like roses and we were on the slide.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 20, 2011, 10:56:26 PM
Was Mulholland the centreback on the Galway U21 team in 1988?

What is it about Bailieboro goalkeepers and journalistic endeavours?  Didn't Paul O'Dowd write for the Cavan Echo?

Not a recent thing either, Tom Mcintyre kept goal for the Shamrocks and Cavan in the 50's before progressing onto a career of literature and the stage. Not sure if young Gilsenan who kept goal for the County minors last year is similarly inclined.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

seafoid

97 ulster final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2e2EV8vNDU

Mairtin Beag did a fabulous job but how did Derry only win one all-Ireland ? 
Ronan Carolan was some player as well.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: seafoid on April 21, 2011, 09:19:20 PM

97 ulster final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2e2EV8vNDU

Mairtin Beag did a fabulous job but how did Derry only win one all-Ireland ? 
Ronan Carolan was some player as well.

Carolan was a strange one for Cavan. He averaged probably 6/7 points a game for Cavan mostly from frees but got a load of abuse from a section of support for not doing enough in general play. He singled handedly demolished Donegal in the 97 semi but didn't even start the 1st round against Fermanagh. He's now a very highly respected physio and selector with the U21's.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

mylestheslasher

laoisgaa

Proud to say I know Alan - he is a great lad and for him and the other Cavan boys they would be very deserving of their first title with what they have shown to date.