All Ireland U21 Football Final Cavan v Galway, 1st May Croke Park

Started by mylestheslasher, April 18, 2011, 08:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I remember talking to an uncle of my father's from Turloughmore in hurling country in 1994. He was telling me about the 60s and the time the 3 in a row team emerged. He said there is something clinical in the race memory of Galway football which can spend years dormant and then come out  of nowhere and win the all-Ireland.  At the time it was hard to see it. 

Farrandeelin

I wonder is that a 'real' AI win for Galway... I mean they didn't beat Mayo afterall along the way. :P Ah no, totally out-did everything Cavan did once the goals went in. Cavan had opportunities to go a few points up but dropped balls short and then it wsa nearly all Galway. Superb team and as of now I'd have Galway favourites for the Connacht championship.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Leo

"Look at Cummins, He has been excellent for the U-21's. But he has looked way out of his depth at senior level"

Grandson of the late Patsy O'Hagan of Down.
Fierce tame altogether

galwayman

It's hard to know what lads will be brought in to the senior squad.
As far as I know 3 of the squad were with the seniors already - Forde, Duane & Cummins while I think Boyle played at least one game in the FBD. I'm fairly sure Tom Fahy was in the squad earlier in the year also but may have pulled out since then.

Hehir certainly looks good enough. Where has he come out of? Never neard of him before this year to be honest and I would usually consider myself to be a fairly keen observer of the club scene. I wouldn't worry too much about him physically because he is a fairly tall lad so should be able to handle himself.
The two midfielders will probably be called in. It might be a bit soon for them yet but because of the lack of midfielders in the senior squad I'd say they will be called up.
Tom Fahy is good enough for the senior squad also I would say.
Gary Sweeney is a very good corner back - quick and tenacious. The only worry I would have for him is that he is extremely small for senior county football and his lack of height could be exposed at senior level.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway football manager Tomas O Flatharta has wasted no time in drafting half a dozen of the county's All-Ireland U21 winners into his senior squad.

The Tribesmen captured their fourth Cadbury All-Ireland U21 title following a comfortable victory over Cavan at Croke Park last Sunday, and the decision to call up six players from that teams means there are now nine U21s in O Flatharta's squad.

Joining U21 captain Colin Forde, Jonathan Duane and Danny Cummins - who all saw action in the National League - are midfielders Thomas Flynn and Fionntain O Curraoin, defenders Tomas Fahy and Josh Moore, and attackers Mark Hehir and Michael Boyle.

Galway are currently preparing for a Connacht SFC semi-final against either Mayo or London on June 26.

ross4life

All these young lads in the panel will make PJ feel even older  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross4life on May 07, 2011, 07:01:01 PM
All these young lads in the panel will make PJ feel even older  ;)

I'm sure he's feeling old alright. Still great for those young lads to get to train with him even if it's only for a few months. They could do worse than just watch what he does and learn.

Breffni_Yank

You Galway lads will enjoy watching this I'm sure. Some quality scores from some of your boys. Had forgotten how good some of them were. The first goal is hilarious and just summed up our day I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfZF7xzoyuM

Denn Forever

Just saw this.  Tonight ad then probably on the iplayer.

20:30 GAA U21 Highlights

A review of the Under-21 Football Championship season, featuring interviews with the Hero of the Future finalists and action from the provincial and All-Ireland finals.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...