USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any craic

Thinking about it, this must be Dooher's 7th Ulster Final since 1996. I think that's even one more than Geezer. And Geezer lifted the cup 3 times, or was it 4 if you could McGrane 'sharing' it. It would be Dooher's 4th. Not that any of this will mean anything on Sunday but still it's some record.

Puckoon

Quote from: Rois on July 15, 2010, 05:20:14 PM
Would it be too wild a suggestion to think that Enda McGinley might be ready to come in again?

What is the word on Enda - is he back training well with Tyrone?

backofthehand

Ulster Senior Football Championship Final
Tyrone v Monaghan

Liosta

1  Pascal McConnell – An Baile Nua
2  Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mhór
3  Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
4  Ryan McMenamin – An Droim Mhór
5  Davy Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
6  Conor Gormley – An Charraig Mhór
7  Philip Jordan – An Mhaigh
8  Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
9  Kevin Hughes – Cill Íseal     
10  Brian Dooher – Clann na nGael
11  Sean Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
12  Joe McMahon – An Omaigh
13  Martin Penrose – Achadh Uí Aráin
14  Tommy McGuigan – Ard Bó
15  Owen Mulligan – An Chorra Chriochach

Fuzzman

tyroneboi

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 15, 2010, 08:21:02 PM
To quote my 2year old

I don't like it

Not fussed on it either. Not much pace in that backline - Carlin cant count himself very very unlucky not to be starting.

orangeman

Quote from: tyroneboi on July 15, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 15, 2010, 08:21:02 PM
To quote my 2year old

I don't like it

Not fussed on it either. Not much pace in that backline - Carlin cant count himself very very unlucky not to be starting.
[/b]

Injured ??

omagh_gael

Certainly plenty of surprises in that team! Was not expecting Harte and Ricey to come back into the first 15. Perhaps they are there because Monaghan wouldn't have the mobility of, say, Cork so they mighn't be exposed pace wise. However, I didn't think P Harte and Swift done a whole pile wrong in the previous two games. Carlin has to be unfit, has been our best defender along with Justy all year.

Midfield as you were no real complaints been solid if unspectacular.

Up front appears to be a little impotent with Joey likely to fall back it will leave a front 5 that you can't see putting up a huge score. Fair enough this has t held us back in recent years.

Will Tommy stay at FF or will he switch with Sean? Where ever he starts he must be playing some stuff in training! 

Fear ón Srath Bán

A few of those lads must have been really flying in training (along with the pigs).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

In MIckey we trust - although that isnt the team I was expecting to see out.

ONeill

A lot of experience there. Solid outfit. Looking forward to seeing mccarron in at the deep end. Hopefully Tommy is back to form.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Funny full back line.

Justin McMahon on McManus

ricey on freeman

McCarron on Woods/ Hanratty?

First c'ship start for mccarron is it?

What the hell did Carlin ever do on Mickey Harte??

The man must have a plan though - usually does...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Well, however perplexed we might be, just think of poor Banty!  ;)

Radioulster

Strange line up alright but I have said that many times about Hartes teams and they usually come up trumps. Could be that he is basing selection solely on what he is seeing in training. Bit harsh on Carlin but at the end of the day he is not an automatic starter. would like to have seen brian mcg in from the start. Would'nt rush to judge this line up too quick, it is a long time till sunday

omagh_gael

Perhaps he's picked his team based on the opposition and he views McCarron and Tommy as having a more effective artillery compared to others.

How will they line out?

Packy

Mc Carron.   Justy.    Block

Joey

Davey.         Ricey.       Jordan

Hub.   Colm C

Dooher.          Penrose

Sean C

Mugsy.         Tommy

Fear ón Srath Bán

A bit of nostalgia for those Farney folk who are ancient enough to remember their last Anglo-Celt ;)

'88 legend Linden believes history could be repeated this Sunday

BY RONAN MC SHERRY

A GOAL keeping legend from the Monaghan team the last time they won the Anglo Celt Cup believes that history will be repeated against Tyrone on Sunday.

Paddy Linden was between the posts in 1988 when Monaghan defeated Tyrone in Clones, on a score-line of 1-10 to 0-11, to claim their 13th provincial crown. In a distinguished career the Ballybay man won three Ulster championship medals, a National league and was the first goal keeper from Ulster to be awarded an All Star. Incredibly Linden's first appearance in a county jersey was at senior level.

He retired in 1991 after 15 years with his county and went on playing with his club into his forties. Nowadays he coaches the under 10's in Ballybay, which he said he "enjoys but it is not the same as playing."

During the 1980s Tyrone and Monaghan were Ulster's most powerful challenge to Kerry's dominance, later replaced by Cork and Meath. In 1985, the year before Tyrone reached their first All Ireland final, Monaghan drew with Kerry in the All Ireland semi-final. The Oriel county also won the National League beating Armagh in the final after defeating Tyrone in a semi-final replay.

That semi-final draw with the great Kerry team is the biggest regret of Linden's playing career. It was a thrilling game that ended Kerry 1-12 Monaghan 2-9 with the former Louth manager Eamonn McEneaney kicking a spectacular equalising point from 48 metres out near the sideline beside the Hogan Stand to level the scores at the end. The Monaghan team included household names of the time Nudie Hughes, Gerry Mc Carville and Ray McCarron.

Linden recalled, "We should have beaten Kerry that day although they beat us well in the replay. Even when we drew the first game I still thought we could beat them and didn't think we had missed. However it wasn't to be. We had several players missing who played when we won the League Final. Who knows how we would have done if they had been there? We will never know that but certainly I look back on the first game and think we should have got to the All Ireland Final."

Tyrone met Monaghan in the 1988 Ulster final with Paddy collecting his third provincial meda. Monaghan have not won the Ulster crown since while Tyrone have lifted seven provincial and three All Ireland senior titles in the intervening years. "Twenty-two years is a long time and we should have won another couple of Ulster crowns since that," said Paddy.

"I don't think that title is too far away. My only memories of the 1988 final are that Tyrone were looking for a penalty near the end. It is unbelievable that is the only thing I can remember about that game. They claimed that Noel McGinn had been fouled. "To be honest I don't actually remember the particular incident. The referee didn't give it and that was the main thing. I remember Eugene McKenna and Kevin McCabe on that Tyrone team and Aidan Skelton in goals. Plunkett Donaghy was a good footballer too. I got to know a number of those lads from playing with Ulster.

"We were well beaten by Cork in the All Ireland semi-final and the team started to break up after that. It was nice to win Ulster and be awarded with an All Star. Looking back I would feel some regret that we could have won more and didn't get to the All Ireland final in 1985. If we had got there, you don't know what might have happened."

Sunday in Clones will bring back a few memories for the Ballybay man. Paddy is confident this Monaghan team can repeat the win of the class of '88. "They look good and they are playing
a bit better than they were a couple of years ago. I think they can beat Tyrone and I expect they will win by maybe two points.

" They have been thereabouts in the last few years but have to keep banging away and it will come right. It will bring back some great memories. Clones is a fabulous great venue and it is a fantastic occasion. It is nice to be going to St Tiarnach's Park to cheer on our own team."