USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: tyrone86 on July 15, 2010, 12:13:33 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 15, 2010, 12:04:30 AM
Isn't it Connacht v Ulster in this year's semis if both teams make it that far?

Monaghan v Sligo would have some prize for the winner.

When is the last time the 4 provincial winners have made the Semi Finals?

tyrone86

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 15, 2010, 12:23:43 AM
Quote from: tyrone86 on July 15, 2010, 12:13:33 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 15, 2010, 12:04:30 AM
Isn't it Connacht v Ulster in this year's semis if both teams make it that far?

Monaghan v Sligo would have some prize for the winner.

When is the last time the 4 provincial winners have made the Semi Finals?

Exactly. Pre-back door. I'd say you get some odds on the 4 provincial winners actually meeting in the SFs.

under the bar

QuoteThe loser of this one is out again six days later in the Qualifiers. Another good reason not to lose (as if any further motivation were needed).

Depends how you look at it FOSB.  Tyrone had a long lay off after a facile Ulster Final win last year and they almost paid the price against Kildare.   In 2005 we got stronger with every game and there's nothing like game time if you can avoid injuries.

Redhand Santa

There should only be a 2 week lay off this year for the winners which would be perfect. Gives players a chance to get over niggly injuries picked up in the final. Would be very hard to lose this Sunday and come back and beat Cork 6 days later.

Main Street

We are not thinking of anything else but the task on the day.
I can imagine that it's going to be a fierce tug of war to loosen Tyrone's (dead man like) grip on the Anglo Celt.
Should Monaghan prevail, I could only dream that we will go on to represent Ulster with a record that Tyrone have clocked up and with such humility, but that does truly appear to be a task of Himalayan proportions.

Fuzzman

Aye that would be a nasty one meeting Cork after losing a provincial decider

How else would you like to avoid. Armagh/Dublin, Louth  :o

I had been thinking earlier maybe it would be no bad thing to lose this final if we'd be without a match for weeks but a 2 week break is perfect so I think I'll tell Mickey full steam ahead.

Was chatting to a Down man there and he says that Tyrone are still an excellent outfit. He said they've got a manager that can see what's going wrong quite quickly and has the players to change it.
He said it wasn't that Down stopped playing but that Tyrone snubbed them out and Down had no way round it. Wee james did admit that afterwards

Stil,l I think Monaghan are a very different prospect. They bring a lot of momentum and even experience from their runs in previous years.
They seem to have the right mental attitude anyways but I wonder will they have enough good footballers to win this game. I'm not being smart assed for once when I say that.

I think if Tyrone had SoN, Mugsy & Penrose all flying and scoring at will we would probably win handy enough despite a tough match
However, if Stevie is out then Mugsy rarely plays as well & so Penrose may suffer as well. I think if Sean plays FF we'll need him to become much more open to change. He wont always be able to come running out, Collect and turn and shoot. He needs to feed those around him much better and focus on winning the ball and then fast hands layoff or even flick ons to Mugsy and whoever.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mugsy out and Coney or Mellon or an Other in.

All in all I'm still quite undecided how this game is gonna go and have to admit I'm more fearful that optimistic. Still, I trust in Mickey and with a relatively fit squad I think we can change the way we play at the drop of a hat and no doubt King Mick has something up his sleevies.

Fair play Main Street. Nice to read a fellow Ulster Gael describe us having humility as many other counties would not see us like that. I know we have our fair share of big mouthed fans and WUMs like myself.
I just hope it's a good match and has no controversy or sending offs.

I'm getting excited already thinking about it and I'd say the unionists who watch the GAA will be delighted to see the red, white & blue in Clones beating lumps out of each other.  :D  :D  :D

Radda bout yeee

fitzroyalty

Who'll have the better (worst) moustaches? The Tyrone men or the Monaghan weemen?

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Rois on July 14, 2010, 05:23:42 PM
Could we ever think of swapping Justin and Joe?  I love to see Justin on the ball, think he's a man who can cover a lot of distance with a couple of solos and a couple of bounces with those big strides.

Would love to see Justy out the field he's a class act in full flow - the last time he was out there a few years back i think they had to put an oxygen mask on one of the armagh players chasing him from half forward.  :o

Fuzzman

Yeah but I've given up on that one now
Full back has been a problem position a long time and I suppose Justy was young enough to nurture him into the position.
It love to see the two of them at MF for a game but I can see what Justy adds to that problem positon and he's probably the best FB we've had since Ciaran McGarvey

Where are most of ye meeting on Sunday?

Rois

Would it be too wild a suggestion to think that Enda McGinley might be ready to come in again?

Tyrones own

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 15, 2010, 02:11:49 PM
Yeah but I've given up on that one now
Full back has been a problem position a long time and I suppose Justy was young enough to nurture him into the position.
It love to see the two of them at MF for a game but I can see what Justy adds to that problem positon and he's probably the best FB we've had since Ciaran McGarvey

Where are most of ye meeting on Sunday?
Aside from Cormac you mean? And I'd agree, I'd like to see Mulligan sit one out
to see if it could ignite something in him...What's the word on McCullagh?
surely he's due a run out :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Maguire01

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 15, 2010, 10:27:41 AM
Would be very hard to lose this Sunday and come back and beat Cork 6 days later.
That would be a nightmare scenario. A very good year could turn very bad within the space of a week.

omagh_gael

I think we'll see something off the cuff from Harte this evening. As mentioned earlier in the thread these are the sort of games were he will throw in a curve ball. Also iv heard a rumour of a few surprises in the first 15.

My curve ball 15 would be

Packie

Carlin.            Justy.            Swift

Joey.              Block.           Jordan

Hub.                    Enda

P Harte.      B Mc Guigan.    Dooher

Penrose.      Sean C.            Coney