USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: backofthehand on July 15, 2010, 08:06:20 PM
Ulster Senior Football Championship Final
Tyrone v Monaghan

Liosta

1  Pascal McConnell – An Baile Nua
2  Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mhór
3  Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
4  Ryan McMenamin – An Droim Mhór
5  Davy Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
6  Conor Gormley – An Charraig Mhór
7  Philip Jordan – An Mhaigh
8  Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
9  Kevin Hughes – Cill Íseal     
10  Brian Dooher – Clann na nGael
11  Sean Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
12  Joe McMahon – An Omaigh
13  Martin Penrose – Achadh Uí Aráin
14  Tommy McGuigan – Ard Bó
15  Owen Mulligan – An Chorra Chriochach

Absolutely astonished by this line up!! I think Mickeys trying to be too smart again (whilst hes a mastermind normally he has been known to be a tad too smart on some occasions)

Thought he had quoted injury to soften the blow on davy last time out when he really just had to drop him. Davys finished - What more does he want? he can just put another nephew in!

As for dropping Carlin - Totally unbelievable! If my memory serves me correctly I think his last good season came in 2007 when Tyrone went well in Ulster (he was being touted for possible all star nomination) and then he was dropped for the Meath QF match - What was the result of that game again?? And he's definitely not injured!

Loyalty to the old guard could be an issue here and it was the fall of many a dictator!

I really thought Tyrone would beat Monaghan (super confident) on Sunday for a long time now I think its going to be Monaghans year based on Mickeys selection!!!

Main Street

Tut tut, the knives already out for Mickey Harte.

Meanwhile the Monaghan team go from strength to strength. Maybe we will even decide to have a goalkeeper for this game.

Happy camper Paul Grimley muses,

In Monaghan he has encouraged his players to relax and play with a greater freedom of spirit. When he arrived he found a squad being run like a company, every angle covered.

"They are not buying into the hype, the pressure doesn't have as much impact on them as it might have had before because they are confident in themselves," he says.

"That's come because out of the seven league matches we have played, in five of them we played extremely well and have played well in two of the championship matches. The confidence has come from those performances. They know now what they can do. They are a more disciplined team, more workmanlike and more attack-minded.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on July 16, 2010, 09:32:01 AM

Davys finished - What more does he want? he can just put another nephew in!

As for dropping Carlin - Totally unbelievable! If my memory serves me correctly I think his last good season came in 2007 when Tyrone went well in Ulster (he was being touted for possible all star nomination) and then he was dropped for the Meath QF match - What was the result of that game again?? And he's definitely not injured!

Loyalty to the old guard could be an issue here and it was the fall of many a dictator!

Not sure you can really say Davy is "finished". He was a key player on the All-Ireland winning team just two years ago and at 28 he is hardly a veteran. Out of form perhaps but a player who has never let Tyrone down on the big occasions in the past. Peter Harte did pretty well the last day but his better work was further up the field and you can see why Uncle sees Davy as the better option for the half back line for this one.

In terms of Carlin I must admit I didnt see that one coming. The guy looked to have finally nailed down his place after years on the fringes of the team and if he isnt injured he must be gutted to have been dropped for this one. You would think Harte doesnt perhaps see him as a man for the big games and if thats the case Dermy would surely be thinking of calling it a day. Then again perhaps he will be involved on Sunday from the bench. McCarron himself has done well of late though and I was surprised he didnt get a start in the previous two games, so here's a big chance for him.

Quite surprised to see Tommy coming in rather than his older brother but presume he has been doing well in training. If we get the Tommy of 2008 we will be alright.

Im tipping Monaghan for this one as yet to see real evidence that Tyrone 2010 are capable of taking their game up a further level for the guts of the 70 minutes. Thats not to say they cant do it, I tipped them to lose to the Dubs in 2008 on the basis they hadnt produced for 70 minutes that summer and they turned in a brilliant performance. Same again please ;).

Fuzzman

From what I've heard Stevie will not be an option to come on and not sure will he even be togged out.

Quote from: Zapatista on July 15, 2010, 11:29:24 PM
When Harte makes these changes I think it shows the strength in depth rather than the return to the old guard. It will make it all very interesting to see what changes he makes if and when they need to be made. This is an Ulster Final and against a good Monaghan side who have only played one final. Harte starting with experiencd players with the younger fellas ready to come in is a sound imho. The pressure will be on Monaghan to come out all guns blazing and fellas like Block, Ricey and Harte could be vital in keeping cool heads and not allowing the occasion and the opposition to get to them.

Good point Zap
Its better to start with the older wiser heads perhaps and take in the younger lads when things are going well or need a change.
I always fear for Davey though as he is often targeted by teams as the weak link and they often hit kickouts to his man and  sometimes put a fast running forward on him to exploit his lack of pace. I'd say he's glad Dooher is back to support him though but I wont be surprised if we see him called ashore in the 2nd half.

Looks like it's gonna be a wet enough aul day doesn't it though some forecasts say cloudy with showers.

FarneyMan

Monaghan Rumours saying Vinny Corey is on crutches and that McBennett is back in the squad and the starting 15, meaning Hughes can be moved out of goals to replace Corey...........

Hedley Lamarr

Fancy Monaghan at 5/4, along with Armagh at 11/8 and Kildare at 11/8
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Redhand Santa

Quote from: gerry on July 16, 2010, 01:12:07 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 16, 2010, 12:37:54 AM
Bit disappointed with a few changes on the team. The good thing though is the bench looks extremely strong with plenty of players to come on and change things. The likes of Carlin,Sean O'Neill,McGinley,McGuigan,Stevie O'Neill,McCullagh,Coney,Mellon and P Harte could all make significant impacts before its over.

Carlin yes,Sean O'Neill yes ,McGinley no,McGuigan no,Stevie O'Neill yes ,McCullagh no ,Coney no ,Mellon no and P Harte yes

They obviously won't all make an impact this Sunday but they are capable of doing it. Four of the players you said no to have started on All Ireland Winning teams, 3 of them more than once. The other player Coney was the star of an All Ireland winning minor team and has great potential.

tyrone86

A few head scratchers. The only logic I can see in dropping Carlin for McCarron is that presumably McCarron picked up McManus in the Ulster Club game last winter and in Harte's eyes did a decent enough job in limiting him to 1 point from play.

lynchbhoy

old dogs for the hard road.
I think thats a superb selection from Harte - and a couple of changes in team show there is a huge push and competition for places right now.
These lads wont be out thought and out fought.

What odds  do you think I could I get on both armagh and monaghan to lose by double digit scores this weekend?
I'm sticking that bet on tomorrow morning...

Main Street

Keep it up Lynchbhoy, these Tyronies love a bit of flattery. They swallow it wholesale, they can't get enough of it.

Fuzzman

You've persuaded me LynchBoy.
Fair play to ya cos I used to think yer were just another Typical Warped Anti Tyrone (TWAT) man but it seems you've seen the light and mended your ways.

I know someone in the Dubs setup and they are very confident that the REAL championship begins now and its time to deliver.

Come Sunday night I'd say you'll see Monaghan v the Dubs in the next round.  ;)

Zapatista

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 16, 2010, 03:15:55 PM

That'll see the end of one of the big 20.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 16, 2010, 03:15:55 PM
You've persuaded me LynchBoy.
Fair play to ya cos I used to think yer were just another Typical Warped Anti Tyrone (t**t) man but it seems you've seen the light and mended your ways.

I know someone in the Dubs setup and they are very confident that the REAL championship begins now and its time to deliver.

dont become confused between what I thik about footballing teams and results predictions and what I think of Tyronies !!