Saddest day following your county?

Started by Mayo4Sam, August 18, 2009, 09:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

1982 and 2001 losses. Painful to this day.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

tbrick18

For me it was the '94 defeat by Down in Celtic Park...it signalled the end of the late Eamon Coleman's tenure of the Derry team and with it all hope of a second deserved all-ireland for that team.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 18, 2009, 08:13:24 PM
1982 and 2001 losses. Painful to this day.

2005  2008... it's okay to admit it  ;)   

thebuzz

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 18, 2009, 10:59:43 AM
The worse defeats are based on expectations going in, it can be crushing.

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 18, 2009, 08:28:39 PM
For me it was the '94 defeat by Down in Celtic Park...it signalled the end of the late Eamon Coleman's tenure of the Derry team and with it all hope of a second deserved all-ireland for that team.

The worst day for me was against Galway in 2001. I didn't have any expectations going there other than defeat but when we were winning so well mid-way through the second half I started to dream of a glorious victory.
That was our best ever chance of an All Ireland since 93 but it wasn't to be and the last ten minutes were a horrible time if you were a Derry fan.

Galway fans even said after the game that they couldn't believe they had won and that they didn't deserve it but it was no consolation. We were like cats on the way home. We nearly fought outside Slane and one boy got out to walk home.

Bord na Mona man

Hurling - The 2000 All Ireland hurling final. It was the end of a great generation of Offaly hurlers. Having torpedoed Cork in the semi final, they didn't get going at all in the final and shipped a heavy beating

Football - Hard to pinpoint any particular day. Losing to Mayo in '97 was disappointing in hindsight because I felt Offaly would have given Kerry a better game in the final. Momentum, no hang ups, a better man marker for Maurice Fitz in Cathal Daly etc. The graph ever since has been a steady and consistent decline.

Rudi

Quote from: ross4life on August 18, 2009, 05:10:28 PM
Plenty of bad Days been a Rossie

but for me.... 20th June Mayo 3-18 Roscommon 0-7 (Our biggest defeat for 80 years vs what later turned out to be a very average Mayo Team)

p.s i wonder where you got the idea for this thread ::)

More numbness than sadness, for me it was the 89 Connacht final replay against Mayo & Jimmy Burkes wonder goal :'(

lilpaulie85

As a Waterford native the list is endless, last years all-ireland final, 2007 semi- final....... etc etc etc :-[
Chase the dream not the competition.

ross4life

Quote from: Rudi on August 18, 2009, 09:39:45 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 18, 2009, 05:10:28 PM
Plenty of bad Days been a Rossie

but for me.... 20th June Mayo 3-18 Roscommon 0-7 (Our biggest defeat for 80 years vs what later turned out to be a very average Mayo Team)

p.s i wonder where you got the idea for this thread ::)

More numbness than sadness, for me it was the 89 Connacht final replay against Mayo & Jimmy Burkes wonder goal :'(

hardly numbness with following Roscommon, but another one that should be added to the list has to 2001 after winning our first connacht title for 10 years Beating Galway in Tuam on our road to glory, then the reward we get is Galway again & we lose
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

guy crouchback

96 was the worst of a steller collection of painfull days following mayo. the drawn game more so then the replay. the atmosphere in the canal end that day was magic and  when dempsey scored well we were in heaven, but not for long.l

ross4life

in reply to the Derry vs Galway Semi of 2001 in the current format it's a game that wouldn't happen now, while we got Galway again, Derry played Tyrone again after been already beaten in ulster by them ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

tbrick18

Quote from: thebuzz on August 18, 2009, 09:08:34 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 18, 2009, 10:59:43 AM
The worse defeats are based on expectations going in, it can be crushing.

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 18, 2009, 08:28:39 PM

The worst day for me was against Galway in 2001. I didn't have any expectations going there other than defeat but when we were winning so well mid-way through the second half I started to dream of a glorious victory.
That was our best ever chance of an All Ireland since 93 but it wasn't to be and the last ten minutes were a horrible time if you were a Derry fan.

Galway fans even said after the game that they couldn't believe they had won and that they didn't deserve it but it was no consolation. We were like cats on the way home. We nearly fought outside Slane and one boy got out to walk home.

I did consider that one myself but I thought the loss of Coleman and the small defeat to the eventual all-ireland winners after some anonymous player scored a goal against us just edged it for me.

ziggysego

Sorry guys and gals.

In that case, has to be the 2002 Quarter-Final in Croke Park then against Sligo. Thankfully I wasn't at the game, but was watching it in a pub in London with a group of friends. I really though that this was Tyrone breakthrough year.
Testing Accessibility

stew

The loss in 2000 to kerry made me sick to my stomach, i had flew home more in hope than anything else and got my guts ripped out and my heart broken, strangely enough the only time I felt nearly as bad was the AIMF when we lost in the last minute and should have won in a canter, that was rough, i lived in Warrenpoint at the time and a group of cnuts came round the house when they saw I was home and taunted the shite out of me.

Down feckers. :'(
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

swagger

2006 football qualifier round 1

sligo 1.7 down 0.4

remember walkin out of markiviez park in a state of shock
riiiiiiiiiite

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on August 18, 2009, 11:47:52 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 18, 2009, 09:32:56 AM
It had to happen & only fitting a mayo man should start it. Kerry x2, galway '89 in tuam, donegal '92, meath '96, rossie's '01 & two weeks ago were all tough to take but '93 was by far the worst for me
What about Derry '07 must have been pretty crushing
Doesn't even register, no worse than fermanagh, which was brutal since i was seein a fermanagh bird whose brother was playing & had to go out in enniskillen that nite.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me