AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: loughshore lad on August 21, 2009, 10:59:22 AM

The thing is though Harte has not really made wholesale changes.  Gormley although always named at 6 rarely plays there.  Justin played at 6 against Armagh.  McGinley was in my opinion Tyrones most consistant player last year in the middle of the field while Cavanagh has played at 11 on numerous occassions during games.  Thats assuming they play as selected and there is no guarantee of that.

Gormly plays either fb or chb fair enough.
mcginley coming back off a bit of a layoff is a worry too.
Yeah- we will have to see how they actually line out, but as I say if its how it has been announced it would be a disaster for tyrone, and usually they dont line out as announced.

Fuzzman

Just looking at the subs and wondering who would be the expected 1st names out from the bench

Brian & Tommy but who's next. McCullagh, C Cavanagh?
Sean O'Neill in defence who else, Gourley?

How's Aidan Cassidy now. Would he be in the running now?

Brolly on Drive time last night
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_drivetimesport.xml

From Irish Times
CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 NEWS: TYRONE HAVE recalled All Star centrefielder Enda McGinley for Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final against Munster champions Cork. It will be his first start in two months after sustaining a hamstring injury in training in the lead-up to last month's Ulster final against Antrim.

The selection is one of a couple of tactical switches by Mickey Harte and his management team. McGinley resumes his partnership with Kevin Hughes, allowing Seán Cavanagh to return to the forwards where he will lead the attack.

Tommy McGuigan is the player to lose out from the side that started against Kildare in the All-Ireland quarter-final.

The other potentially significant selection is the switching of full back Justin McMahon and the versatile Conor Gormley. McMahon's height is seen as an advantage in coping with Cork's big centre forward Pearse O'Neill, at whom a lot of the team's kick-outs are directed.

Despite having made a cumulative eight trips to All-Ireland semi-finals this decade the counties have not been drawn together until now. The only previous occasion on which they contested a senior championship match was in 1973 when Cork, on the way to winning the All-Ireland, won comfortably.

I'm on a half day today folks so enjoy the game and may football be the winner at the end of the day.  ;D
I think the rebels would rather see Tyrone give Kerry a good hiding in the final and confirm once and for all who the team of the decade really is.

Therefore Rebels to do their startled earwig impressions and Tyrone to win by 5.
ENJOY one and all.

Ogie84

Quote from: rrhf on August 21, 2009, 11:17:16 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember going to a league match with the Tyrone freetaker of 73  about 20 years ago and the conversation came up about the Cork game in 73.  He turned around to his son and said, "that day yer da was missing 14 yard frees in Croke Park."  It was truly horrible stuff for Tyrone people accordingly.  36 years later we finally get a chance for revenge,  Lose this gamne and we may well be handing the all ireland to Kerry.  Win this game and  the kingdom will be ours or (to keep hardy right)  the chance to revisit 96/07 with our Meath friends.       

One of many factors driving this Cork team, is revenge for 07. We won't be found wanting against Kerry in Croke park again.
Either way, we'll all be happy once Cork or Tyrone stuff it to the animals in September.

Over the Bar

I have a spare Lower Cusack so PM me if anyone's interested in taking it.

cheers

Hardy

Quote from: Ogie84 on August 21, 2009, 12:37:13 PM
One of many factors driving this Cork team, is revenge for 07. We won't be found wanting against Kerry in Croke park again.
Either way, we'll all be happy once Cork or Tyrone stuff it to the animals in September.

Ahem ...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on August 21, 2009, 02:02:07 PM
Ahem ...

I was waiting for that, I was going to warn Ogie, but sure...  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

I've just stocked up with a new supply of ahems for the coming week.

Apple Crumble

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 21, 2009, 11:36:03 AM
Just looking at the subs and wondering who would be the expected 1st names out from the bench

From Irish Times
CHAMPIONSHIP 2009 NEWS: TYRONE HAVE recalled All Star centrefielder Enda McGinley for Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final against Munster champions Cork. It will be his first start in two months after sustaining a hamstring injury in training in the lead-up to last month's Ulster final against Antrim.

The selection is one of a couple of tactical switches by Mickey Harte and his management team. McGinley resumes his partnership with Kevin Hughes, allowing Seán Cavanagh to return to the forwards where he will lead the attack.

Tommy McGuigan is the player to lose out from the side that started against Kildare in the All-Ireland quarter-final.

The other potentially significant selection is the switching of full back Justin McMahon and the versatile Conor Gormley. McMahon's height is seen as an advantage in coping with Cork's big centre forward Pearse O'Neill, at whom a lot of the team's kick-outs are directed.

Despite having made a cumulative eight trips to All-Ireland semi-finals this decade the counties have not been drawn together until now. The only previous occasion on which they contested a senior championship match was in 1973 when Cork, on the way to winning the All-Ireland, won comfortably.

I'm on a half day today folks so enjoy the game and may football be the winner at the end of the day.  ;D
I think the rebels would rather see Tyrone give Kerry a good hiding in the final and confirm once and for all who the team of the decade really is.

Therefore Rebels to do their startled earwig impressions and Tyrone to win by 5.
ENJOY one and all.

Semms M.Harte is more worried about Cork than concentrating on his own team.  I predict a tough day for Tyrone!!

Mongander

can't wait for Sunday, gonna be a cracking game, and im fully confident the mighty Red Hands will do the business and make it back-to-back Final appearances come September 20th.

Tír Eoghain Abú!!!!
Tír Eoghain Abú!!!!

talktothehand

Quote from: Apple Crumble on August 21, 2009, 03:00:01 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 21, 2009, 11:36:03 AM

From Irish Times

ENJOY one and all.

Semms M.Harte is more worried about Cork than concentrating on his own team.  I predict a tough day for Tyrone!!

no better team when the going gets tough. we'll see how cork stand up to the pressure!!

marym

A friend of mine was in Clonakilty last weekend for A V B match . According to him Cussen was one of the best players on the pitch. Would not be at all surprised to see him starting. He can play either midfield or full forward.

rrhf

a big lad like that playing that good,  would beat Tyrone on his own.   

imtommygunn

If Tyrone see the need to bring McMahon out to HB then Cussen could cause problems in there.

A very reactive team by Mickey Harte which is not like him(well in the starting line-up anyway) and is interesting. Almost seems like he's scared of Cork. Doesn't seem the best strategy but then Mickey Harte hasn';t done much to be doubted over the last few years and anyone who has has been proved wrong.

I see a few problems for Tyrone in this game - if Kerrigan marks Davy Harte I think he'll roast him. McMahon out of FB will unsettle the FB line too. How PJ Quinn will stand up in this game raises big question marks too. Basically I think their FB line will be in problems - however Cork's could be too.

All in all I want Tyrone to win but I think they could be in bother here.

marym

He is playing unreal Hurling at the moment too. His club did not start him as he was training with the Cork footballers . Came on at half time and scored 1-6 in 30 mins.Some of the  scores were meant to be of the Henry Shefflin variety. Newstalk were even talking about his performance.

Ogie84

Quote from: marym on August 21, 2009, 04:14:27 PM
He is playing unreal Hurling at the moment too. His club did not start him as he was training with the Cork footballers . Came on at half time and scored 1-6 in 30 mins.Some of the  scores were meant to be of the Henry Shefflin variety. Newstalk were even talking about his performance.
he's a better hurler than a footballer, something of a late developer really, he always had the height but his physical strength now means he's a real threat in hurling. Would make a far better option at full forward than Aisake but thats for another day.

Hoping for a great game on Sunday, real anticipation of a cracker here all week. See ye in Croker, Come on the rebels!