AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Casey

I think I'm sticking with Tyrone to win by 1-3 points @ 11/4 doubled with Noel O'Leary to get the first card @ 12/1.

Have to go now, Mrs Casey, from the independent republic of West Cork, looking over shoulder.

Might as well look at the girls in skorts now.................................no other option. ;D
KERRY 3:7

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good man Frank, good luck  ;)

And let me just recap on that pic:

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 20, 2009, 11:43:07 PM
And this is what he looks like after making a hames of it

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 20, 2009, 11:41:01 PM
just after watching the Kildare game again, have to say there was great intensity to it, what does everyone think about the bearing this can have on the next game? Is it as big an advantage as it's made out to be?

think Tyrone are in a better position following their game as opposed to cork.. Cork need a blistering start to negate their 'easier' passage to the semi. If Tyrone get an early run at them I feel it will be hard for the rebels to keep in touch.

That all depends on the character of this Cork side. Tyrone in 2003 and 2008 headed into the semis on the back of a stroll and upped it even further in the first half.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

loughshore lad

Quote from: ONeill on August 20, 2009, 08:57:38 PM
So, Tommy, Brian, McCullagh, Cavanagh and O'Neill to see sub action if all being well?

Some kind of move to give the impression of a 6 foot plus midfield diamond of Justin, Hub, McGinley and Sean?

I dont know if all the above will see action or not.  I thought it very interesting that for all the talk of Tyrones strength in depth that in the Kildare game which is the only time the bench has been required only Brian and red Sean came on. 

I would think the naming of Justin at 6 is just to ruffle a few feathers with Cork.  He could line out there particularly if Pierce O'Neill starts there but then again he may not.  I dont think what ever formation Cork take up will upset Tyrone too much.  Tyrone have the option of just playing man to man and letting their defenders follow their designated opponent where ever they go, all of the Tyrone defenders are competent enough footballers to do this if required.

Really looking forward to this, its going to be intriguing to watch things unfold and see if Cork are as good as they have indicated they could be.

Ogie84

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2009, 10:25:02 PM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on August 20, 2009, 08:53:49 PM
10  Brian Dooher  (C) Clann na nGael
12  Joe McMahon   An Omaigh

Let's see Miskella and O'Leary launch their surging runs with Dooher and Mc Mahon hanging off them.
all within the rules of course ;)

It's great that both teams are at full strength for this one, we've had a few injuries throughout the season, but with Lynch back and no other concerns, this is the first time that we've got the strongest 15 out this season. With McGinley back Tyrones midfield and Half forward line improve and Cavanagh will no doubt try to take Canty on a tour of Croker for a bit.

rrhf

Im in a happy place this morning - just the right balance of nervous tension - as you need before the big game, a clear head, a non flatulent stomach and a constant thought screaming at me , "Cmon Tyrone, get stuck into those rebel hoors"   

Tyrone by 5.
Intensity of the game to be the highest ever on record :D

Fuzzman

To me its not quite an intense (yet) as the 2003 final. That was one intense battle as was the 2005 semi final.
I said to the Armagh ones next to me I wish ye all the best folks whoever wins cos its gonna be hard to take whover loses.
The tackling was so tough that day and all the fans were in that mood of scared to be too vocal in case they'd lose.

It's nice weather here in Dublin this morning but yes it still looks like rain for Sunday.

Can't wait for Sunday and I thnk we're in for a classic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on August 20, 2009, 08:39:46 PM
Tyrone starting line up is as follows.

1  Pascal McConnell   An Baile Nua
2  P J Quinn   Baile na Móna
3  Conor Gormley   An Charraig Mhór
4  Ryan McMenamin   An Droim Mhór
5  Davy Harte   Aireagal Chiaráin
6  Justin McMahon   An Omaigh
7  Philip Jordan   An Mhaigh
8  Kevin Hughes   Cill Íseal
9  Enda McGinley   Aireagal Chiaráin
10  Brian Dooher  (C) Clann na nGael
11  Sean Cavanagh   An Mhaigh
12  Joe McMahon   An Omaigh
13  Martin Penrose   Achadh Uí Arain
14  Stephen O'Neill   Clann na nGael
15  Owen Mulligan   An Chorra Chríochach

cant see tyrone lining up as this, it would be suicidal to do so.
maybe going man to man, but if so, is mickey harte just completely bored and wants to set himself a mountain of a challenge ?
Unless Cork lose their nerve in croker again I cant see past a rebel victory.
That will upset the young tyrone supporting nephew I am bring to the game on sunday.

Fuzzman

Why do you think it will be Suicidal ABT?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 21, 2009, 10:41:11 AM
while tyrone are known for their players adaptability, to make wholesale changes is usually playing into the opponents hands. Changing your sides structure and cohesion detracts from your own continuity. Usually harte (and all great teams/manages) imposes their gameplan ON opponents - only changing a couple of positions when there are obvious requirements (eg the two big men needed to mark Donnelly and Walsh in last years final).
I just cant see the sense in this. Unless its more pre game trickery by MH.
But he is the master.

ONeill

Any thoughts on Penrose ahead of Tommy?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

loughshore lad

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 21, 2009, 10:46:44 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 21, 2009, 10:41:11 AM
while tyrone are known for their players adaptability, to make wholesale changes is usually playing into the opponents hands. Changing your sides structure and cohesion detracts from your own continuity. Usually harte (and all great teams/manages) imposes their gameplan ON opponents - only changing a couple of positions when there are obvious requirements (eg the two big men needed to mark Donnelly and Walsh in last years final).
I just cant see the sense in this. Unless its more pre game trickery by MH.
But he is the master.

The thing is though Harte has not really made wholesale changes.  Gormley although always named at 6 rarely plays there.  Justin played at 6 against Armagh.  McGinley was in my opinion Tyrones most consistant player last year in the middle of the field while Cavanagh has played at 11 on numerous occassions during games.  Thats assuming they play as selected and there is no guarantee of that.

Quote from: ONeill on August 21, 2009, 10:47:17 AM
Any thoughts on Penrose ahead of Tommy?

On current form you have to say Penroase fully merits his place ahead of Tommy but at the same time I wouldnt be surprised to see Tommy come in for Penrose and do a very good job.  Tommy seems to be more comfortable playing in the inside line for tyrone than out the field.

rrhf

To me Tommy has been the weakest of the starting players for the last 2 seasons and i think Penrose has held his place deservedly.  Tommie has lost his place to incldue Mc Ginley which if fully fit was a given anyway.  SC / SON ./ EM and even Marty P to take free kicks. Does anybody think that Hartes decision is to flood the middle third from 6 to 11 with some of his own best to tie up Corks resources in there but essentially to to leave room on the outer wings for the Jordans /Hartes / Doohers and Joe Mc to sock it to their opposing numbers where Harte feels he has clear advantage. 

supersarsfields

I'd have to agree, if any of the forwards were getting the chop then it would have to be Tommy. Penfold is prob having his most consistant season in a while and is well due his starting position. That said it's good to have someone like Tommy to come in of the bench if one of the others are having an of day.

Could give Mickey a bit of a dilemma in the second half, Tommy or Brian to come on? 

rrhf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember going to a league match with the Tyrone freetaker of 73  about 20 years ago and the conversation came up about the Cork game in 73.  He turned around to his son and said, "that day yer da was missing 14 yard frees in Croke Park."  It was truly horrible stuff for Tyrone people accordingly.  36 years later we finally get a chance for revenge,  Lose this gamne and we may well be handing the all ireland to Kerry.  Win this game and  the kingdom will be ours or (to keep hardy right)  the chance to revisit 96/07 with our Meath friends.