AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Point 1- I don't think Cork are as good as Tyrone. The match ups prove that in my opinion.

Point 2- The same Cork team with the nucleus of the same players hasn't won a game against any of the top 3 in Cork Park. Have they improved that much? I don't think so personally. And in my view there is no evidence to suggest they have. If they beat Tyrone tomorrow thats evidence. But thats post the event rather than pre the event. ie- an actual achievement.

Point 3- With all due respect you keep harping on about the u21's. How many of them are playing tomorrow? Maybe 3?

There are real areas of concern for me in the Cork full back line and the Cork half forward line. Especially the former who unless Cork change their game plan will be left exposed with no cover.
I also think Tyrone will be stung into action with all the talk of Cork going to beat them.

stew

I can see Cork winning this game tomorrow, it will be close but I think this is the game where they fulfill their potential and I think they will win the AI.

I hope i am wrong as i am an Ulster man second but I wont be too upset should tyrone lose.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 22, 2009, 09:50:25 AM
Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 02:33:26 AM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 21, 2009, 11:34:00 PM
Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on August 21, 2009, 10:48:44 PM
I know we need to talk about something, but what's all the speculation over the Tyrone's positional changes, don't you listen to the commentators/pundits/columnists... that "positions mean so little nowadays ... and ... Tyrone's ability to play anywhere on the field.." (among some of the most abused phrases)  ::)

Quite surprised by that talk myself. A fit McGinley was always likely to come back into the team and with Penrose playing so well Tommy was the most likely to drop to the bench. No surprise there. As for Justy and Block swapping numbers its no big deal, the Tyrone defenders often switch positions during matches and the numbers on their backs are pretty irrelevant.

Just another way of trying to keep the Cork half backs on the back foot really.

you know 020304 tir Eoghan...you havent been on this board long yet you suffer from that innnate, and unjustifed, Tymoan arrogance. A little more humbleness wouldnt go amiss. Those Cork half backs might cause you more trouble than you think on Sunday.

How does stating Tyrones positional switches is another way of trying to keep Corks half backs on the back foot
seem arrogant to you? If you look back to an earlier part of this thread, ive stated that this will be Tyrones hardest
test for a number of years. In fact, its a game i think Tyrone will lose. As regards longevity on this board, what has
that got to do with anything?
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: rrhf on August 22, 2009, 12:46:53 PM
I woke up this morning, with a thought in my head that I cant get rid of.  You know what Im going to tell you we are gonna blow Cork off the field tomorrow.

I had a dream the other night that we stuffed them, was 11 points to 3 at one stage...

Aw jaysus, so much for the quiet optimism...
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

orangeman

Tyrone to squeeze past IMO. The buzzzzzzzz is starting here.

Much of a crowd expected ?

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Could there be 60,000? Would be a massive turn out if there was. But with the price of the tickets I'd say 45-50,000 is more realistic.
I thought the U2 revenue would have made it reasonable to drop the price a bit, obviously the GAA is looking down the post-soccer/post-rugby road and togging it a bit.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Zulu

QuotePoint 1- I don't think Cork are as good as Tyrone. The match ups prove that in my opinion.

I don't think they are either but I think they are good enough to beat Tyrone and match ups are only good for paper, on the day a guy can come off second best to an inferior player.

QuotePoint 2- The same Cork team with the nucleus of the same players hasn't won a game against any of the top 3 in Cork Park. Have they improved that much? I don't think so personally. And in my view there is no evidence to suggest they have. If they beat Tyrone tomorrow thats evidence. But thats post the event rather than pre the event. ie- an actual achievement.

Who are the top 3? And anyway they haven't had the opportunity to play any of the big teams outside of Kerry in the past 3 years, so it isn't like they've a poor record against the best teams, in most cases they've no record. As for evidence, they hammered a Donegal team that beat Derry and two years ago the only sneaked past Donegal by a point. They started this year in division 2 but romped out of it hammering Monaghan in the final and earlier this year you said they'd missed their chance against Kerry but they beat them pulling up in the replay. All evidence that they've improved.

QuotePoint 3- With all due respect you keep harping on about the u21's. How many of them are playing tomorrow? Maybe 3?

Ahh no I don't, in fact I've hardly mentioned them at all but of the 3 U21 AI final teams they have 6 by my count with 3 or 4 of the likely subs from those teams as well.

My only concern with Cork is they aren't battle hardend at this level and could be blown away but Cork teams don't tend to be mentally weak and this team has a good blend of youth and experience. Tyrone were blown away by Sligo in 2002 yet only 12 months later they were AI champions with a fair few recent graduates from successful U21 teams, Cork are in a similar position now. Like I say I wouldn't be putting my house on Cork but they have a real good chance IMO and there is plenty of evidence to support that opinion.

brokencrossbar1

Obviosuly Tyrone are extremely talented but in my view the thing that has set them apart from most teams is their fitness and willingness to work for each other and also their ability to stick to the plan no matter who is in the team.  I believe that Cork will match them for fitness and desire to work.  I believe they have the best central unit(5-12) in the country on ability alone.  I would have concernes about their fitness in the MF and also of those players in the middle I am not totally convicned about Alan O'Connor.  I played against him this year and he is Junior club player with size and strenght.  He could be a weak link so I reckon Fintan Gould should be ready to come in at a very early stage.  I know everyone talks about the strenght of the CHB, MF and CHF but I reckon the winning of the game will be on how the Miskella, O'Leary, Kerrigan and in particular Pa Kelly play.  Everyone knows what Miskella and O'Leary will do, Kerrigan is a speed merchant who can be devastating when he runs, Kelly in my view though is key.  he is the link man around the middle, he picks up loose ball, has a lovely eye and foot( I played with him in Ballincollig and he can find you with most passes) and he is under the radar somewhat.  I think he will have a big game and will bring a lot extra to the Cork attack.  Jordan has been as strong this year as previous years and if there s a weak link in the Tyrone HB line it will be him.

omagh_gael

my ploy of holding off until the last minute to buy tickets has paid off. Just got two tickets for the lower cusack 309 in row SS so far back enough to stay out of the rain!

Good luck to both teams and hopefully the red hands prevail!

Tyrone 1-15 Cork 1-13

ONeill

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 22, 2009, 05:05:46 PM
Obviosuly Tyrone are extremely talented but in my view the thing that has set them apart from most teams is their fitness and willingness to work for each other and also their ability to stick to the plan no matter who is in the team.  I believe that Cork will match them for fitness and desire to work.  I believe they have the best central unit(5-12) in the country on ability alone.  I would have concernes about their fitness in the MF and also of those players in the middle I am not totally convicned about Alan O'Connor.  I played against him this year and he is Junior club player with size and strenght.  He could be a weak link so I reckon Fintan Gould should be ready to come in at a very early stage.  I know everyone talks about the strenght of the CHB, MF and CHF but I reckon the winning of the game will be on how the Miskella, O'Leary, Kerrigan and in particular Pa Kelly play.  Everyone knows what Miskella and O'Leary will do, Kerrigan is a speed merchant who can be devastating when he runs, Kelly in my view though is key.  he is the link man around the middle, he picks up loose ball, has a lovely eye and foot( I played with him in Ballincollig and he can find you with most passes) and he is under the radar somewhat.  I think he will have a big game and will bring a lot extra to the Cork attack.  Jordan has been as strong this year as previous years and if there s a weak link in the Tyrone HB line it will be him.

At the start of the season I picked Cork as All-Ireland champions and Pa Kelly to get player of the year. He doesn't seem to get the plaudits he deserves though - rarely wastes a ball.

I hope I'm wrong on both accounts though. Looking forward to a humdinger.

Fear - that what I have felt since the Antrim game will come to light: Tyrone have peaked in the previous year and their old hands - Jordan, Gormley, Ricey etc have lost that yard that made them the best in the country at what they do. Those players have some mileage from '97, and '03 in particular.

Hope - that the above is bullshit and that Tyrone deliver a performance to confirm that they are still the kingpins and those players capable of rising to even greater heights.

Tyrone to storm into an early lead and hold the advantage - Tyrone 0-15 Cork 0-13.

How good ARE Cork?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gerry

is there a meeting place for a few pints tomorrow before the match
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

the green man

Quote from: ONeill on August 22, 2009, 08:47:27 PM
How good ARE Cork?

Thats the thing. Have they been really tested yet? I hope for a great game tomorrow, end to end stuff. It has the potential to be the best game this year. My fear is that Tyrone will blow them out early on, Cork'll lie down and the red hands will canter through.

Zulu

Don't think there is any chance Cork will lie down but I am concerned they may have too many young players to be able to live with this Tyrone team. If most of those younger players stand up to the challenge facing them we'll get a real beauty of a game. Where are the Tyrone lads here going before the game, we'll be up around 12 and were looking for a tyrone pub beforehand?

Tyrones own

I'd say the team that turns the least amount of ball over will win this game
especially against the run of play with the fact that both back lines like to forage forward,
that and Packies kick outs will be key for us!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann