Beckham

Started by ONeill, July 22, 2009, 07:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiritof91and94

got to admire him - in comparison to the prima donnas Rooney,Defoe,Terry,Cole & Lampard - Becks has a very clean slate.

Hoof Hearted

i wasn't criticising beckham himself when i started this, obviously i dont know him and im sure he isn't a bad chap, it's the commentators and media who make him out to be a big star no matter what he does. For him to get MOM last night was a joke
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

gallsman

Quote from: GBXII on October 15, 2009, 01:22:25 PM
Ah in fairness he was a bit better than middling..

Really? I wouldn't have said so at all. If it wasn't for the media circus that follows him I don't think anyone in their right mind could rate him as anything more than a slightly above average Premiership footballer. What I always admired was his determination. After Capello dropped him for Madrid he worked his arse off and got back in the team having spent months as an outcast.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 15, 2009, 01:24:48 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 15, 2009, 01:19:29 PM
Quote from: new devil on October 15, 2009, 04:09:24 AM
Still one off the best crossers of the ball about...never got the credit he deserved because of the circus that followed but was a brillant footballer

Nope, he was a middling footballer. I have the utmost respect for him though considering what he's achieved. In hindsight, the infamy he gained after the kick on Simeone truly launched him as a global superstar. Always seems very likeable and honest in his interviews and Victoria seems to get on with things and keep quiet. Cheryl McCullough she isn't.
If you wanted a good crosser and someone to sell loads of replica kits then he was your go to man.

Classy lady. She'd have "The Packet Racket" fighting til he's in a pine box.

Ah, leave the woman alone! Sure she only wants to make him a werld chempian again!

Galwaybhoy

The best free-kick taker in the world and a hugely important part of the old Man Utd team, he could cross some ball.  He also comes across very likeable as well and loved to represent and serve his country.  Infact Beckham is one of the nicer footballers around.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: gallsman on October 15, 2009, 01:36:21 PM
Quote from: GBXII on October 15, 2009, 01:22:25 PM
Ah in fairness he was a bit better than middling..

Really? I wouldn't have said so at all. If it wasn't for the media circus that follows him I don't think anyone in their right mind could rate him as anything more than a slightly above average Premiership footballer. What I always admired was his determination. After Capello dropped him for Madrid he worked his arse off and got back in the team having spent months as an outcast.

He was unreal at free kicks and could cross a ball better than anyone in the Premership, he was much more than a just above average Premership player.

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on October 15, 2009, 12:11:11 AM
Fair fcuks to him. He kicks the odd ball, gets photographed in his cacks, signs his name to some shaving foam or aftershave and the whole world is buying into the shite.

Absolutely.What the lad has given to the shirt & to society will get him a fair few RIP posts on here when he dies. All credit to the lad.... furnominal performance :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Dinny Breen

I like Becks, good attitude, great work-rate and never goes to the press whinging...a good honest professional.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gabriel_Hurl

echo those sentiments Dinny

even if he did cheat on his wife

full back

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 15, 2009, 01:51:21 PM
echo those sentiments Dinny

even if he did cheat on his wife

Allegedly gab ;)

One of the best passers/crossers of the ball of his generation

He has an excellent PR team behind him as well mind you

redhugh

not a fan ,but I respect the man for how he keeps coming back time and again.He gets his head down and works hard and is a great example for young professionals.I love the fact that he's still so hungry when he's so minted he could have retired years ago.

Minder

By the time we are finished here it will be a cross between Pele and Gandhi
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Declan

QuoteBy the time we are finished here it will be a cross between Pele and Gandhi
Yep- he's as good a footballer as Gandhi and as good a statesman as Pele

theskull1

Quote from: Minder on October 15, 2009, 02:15:13 PM

Didn't know Ghandi played centre half
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

JohnDenver

Quote from: theskull1 on October 15, 2009, 02:26:03 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 15, 2009, 02:15:13 PM

Didn't know Ghandi played centre half

Gandhi was on the left wing  :P