Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

I'm fully in favour of an early round. If that means lads from loosing teams leaving then so be it.. Tough. Cramming the whole Championship into a period in September so as to have representation in the Ulster club is not fair on the Champions. Ballinderry are now preparing for an All Ireland semi and with the right time and preparation I think Clonoe could have been in that position.

Onthe40

The Derry championship doesnt start to late july/early august and they have a back door so you could argue most of their championships are crammed into sept/oct as well..derry final was played a week before tyrone one. I still think the ccc has time to effectively organise championship fixtures to give winners a 2 week break before ulster without playing a round in may.

WeeDonns

Quote from: hugh the root on December 10, 2013, 09:03:12 PM
Kerr Jordan and Scullin could'nt organise a piss up in a brewery.Disband the CCC and let people with an IQ over 80 organise the fixtures.Tyrone football is in the doldrums.Mugys book tells a lot about the mindset of coiste tir eoghain.
If you have an IQ above 80, please feel free to contribute constructively to the below thread;

Tyrone Club Fixtures 2014 - Lets try and help them sort it out

It has kinda stalled, lets get it going again

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: EC Unique on December 11, 2013, 09:50:56 AM
I'm fully in favour of an early round. If that means lads from loosing teams leaving then so be it.. Tough. Cramming the whole Championship into a period in September so as to have representation in the Ulster club is not fair on the Champions. Ballinderry are now preparing for an All Ireland semi and with the right time and preparation I think Clonoe could have been in that position.
I agree on this.
taken from the fixtures planners report for the coming year:

QuoteOn average 45 players went to either North America or New York in the years when the championship started in May or June (2006, 2007, 2009 & 2010), while the average number of players leaving dropped to 27 in the years when the championship started later (2008, 2011 & 2012). On average 18 additional players leave if the championship starts earlier. We don't believe that the championship should be held back to accommodate the small number of players who will leave for the summer.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mikhailov

A possible reason why so few players left in them first set of years is due to the fact that we had not hit a recession yet and they were prob earning good money at home so why go the states for the summer...plus football in Tyrone in the period 03-08 was like an obsession due to county success and all clubs tried hard to be successful and had the finance to try and push on. That is no longer the case and clubs are finding it hard to keep lads at home nowadays. These figures are for USA but vast numbers go to OZ as well and a lot more have went there full time rather than just go to US for summer months.

Big clubs can suffer losses ( EC with 70+ adult players) and the like but small rural clubs need all men on board therefore from their thinking the August c'ship season is best suited for them - if they lose in May then they will struggle to field a reserve team for remaining games of season.

- Why can we not play reserve c'ship on going in summer time? to delay it due to Tyrone is crazy - name your 12 players who cannot play reserve and keep the thing moving and get it sorted out in June, July and August.
- start senior league a few weeks earlier and do NOT compromise any game for NFL semi or final - ACL go ahead as planned
- Play 1 double week fixture ie; sun, wed, sun wed then 2 week break for Tyrone (at least that is 4 games done in 2 weeks)

Remember 98% of players only play at club level !!!!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 11, 2013, 12:01:19 PM
A possible reason why so few players left in them first set of years is due to the fact that we had not hit a recession yet and they were prob earning good money at home so why go the states for the summer...plus football in Tyrone in the period 03-08 was like an obsession due to county success and all clubs tried hard to be successful and had the finance to try and push on. That is no longer the case and clubs are finding it hard to keep lads at home nowadays. These figures are for USA but vast numbers go to OZ as well and a lot more have went there full time rather than just go to US for summer months.

Big clubs can suffer losses ( EC with 70+ adult players) and the like but small rural clubs need all men on board therefore from their thinking the August c'ship season is best suited for them - if they lose in May then they will struggle to field a reserve team for remaining games of season.

- Why can we not play reserve c'ship on going in summer time? to delay it due to Tyrone is crazy - name your 12 players who cannot play reserve and keep the thing moving and get it sorted out in June, July and August.
- start senior league a few weeks earlier and do NOT compromise any game for NFL semi or final - ACL go ahead as planned
- Play 1 double week fixture ie; sun, wed, sun wed then 2 week break for Tyrone (at least that is 4 games done in 2 weeks)

Remember 98% of players only play at club level !!!!
when people travel to Oz that has nothing to do with fixtures, young people generally go there for a full year at least.
That is a wider social issue and isnt something the Tyrone CCC can address
if every club in tyrone uses 20 players in the senior championsip that is 960 players , if on average 18 more go to america due to the early round of the championship that is only 2% of all senior club players.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 11, 2013, 09:35:28 AM
Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on December 11, 2013, 09:27:57 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 10, 2013, 08:08:35 PM
Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on December 10, 2013, 07:26:29 PM
Its the people involved with the CCC who set and ran the fixtures who are the problem rather then just a broad sweeping statement about the county board. There is no doubt that the county manager has to much influence on this minority of people also, i.e.club championship put on ice until Tyrone are out instead of playing during the end of July of mid August at latest.

I'd say Harte is a lot better at accomadating club fixtures than other county managers. I think he is used as an easy enough target in this. The issues this year included Tyrone's run to the league final and the fact they got so far through the qualifiers which makes it difficult. No matter who was managing the county the club championships would not have been played in late July or early August this year. Tyrone had games nearly every week up to the quarter final on 3rd August. Then they had the semi final 3 weeks later. It would have been difficult to fit in a full round of club championship in this timeframe and unfair on the county players. An early round of fixtures is the only way of guaranteeing them prior to Tyrone's exit.

What is evidently clear from all your posts that you are firmly in the county team corner, therefore club issues doesn't really matter to you, that is based on reading your posts. Some one from a purely county team coloured glasses would argue the points you have made. If you had the club and county team interests you would try an accommodation. The 1st round of the championship being played in May, early June puts the club, which represents a massive group of people, in a weak position. Anyone who is involved at club (which you don't sound like you are, cause I couldn't see reference to club activity in your posts) level knows once you go out of the championship, your club suffers, so keeping all involved to August shouldn't be misunderstood on how important it is. The question that should be asked is why Kerry can play their club games during a run to an All Ireland and we can't?

what is your major issue with playing an early round in the championship?
as far as i can see with the current inter county format, it is the only workable solution.

My issue is that I have seen what our club is like when getting beat in May/June, the ass fell out of the place. I would be shocked if most clubs weren't the same. Non doubt the irish landuage class continued, the underage football continued, but the atmosphere and feel good about the club did not exist. That's why I feel it is so important to keep the glue that keeps the club up and running with momentum i.e. the championship back to August, it keeps the place alive.

Why should 8 senior, 8 intermediate, 8 junior clubs all have the life taken out of them in late May June.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on December 11, 2013, 12:13:48 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 11, 2013, 09:35:28 AM
Its the people involved with the CCC who set and ran the fixtures who are the problem rather then just a broad sweeping statement about the county board. There is no doubt that the county manager has to much influence on this minority of people also, i.e.club championship put on ice until Tyrone are out instead of playing during the end of July of mid August at latest.

I'd say Harte is a lot better at accomadating club fixtures than other county managers. I think he is used as an easy enough target in this. The issues this year included Tyrone's run to the league final and the fact they got so far through the qualifiers which makes it difficult. No matter who was managing the county the club championships would not have been played in late July or early August this year. Tyrone had games nearly every week up to the quarter final on 3rd August. Then they had the semi final 3 weeks later. It would have been difficult to fit in a full round of club championship in this timeframe and unfair on the county players. An early round of fixtures is the only way of guaranteeing them prior to Tyrone's exit.

What is evidently clear from all your posts that you are firmly in the county team corner, therefore club issues doesn't really matter to you, that is based on reading your posts. Some one from a purely county team coloured glasses would argue the points you have made. If you had the club and county team interests you would try an accommodation. The 1st round of the championship being played in May, early June puts the club, which represents a massive group of people, in a weak position. Anyone who is involved at club (which you don't sound like you are, cause I couldn't see reference to club activity in your posts) level knows once you go out of the championship, your club suffers, so keeping all involved to August shouldn't be misunderstood on how important it is. The question that should be asked is why Kerry can play their club games during a run to an All Ireland and we can't?

what is your major issue with playing an early round in the championship?
as far as i can see with the current inter county format, it is the only workable solution.

My issue is that I have seen what our club is like when getting beat in May/June, the ass fell out of the place. I would be shocked if most clubs weren't the same. Non doubt the irish landuage class continued, the underage football continued, but the atmosphere and feel good about the club did not exist. That's why I feel it is so important to keep the glue that keeps the club up and running with momentum i.e. the championship back to August, it keeps the place alive.

Why should 8 senior, 8 intermediate, 8 junior clubs all have the life taken out of them in late May June.
That is maybe fair enough comment, but the argument of players going to america is complete nonsense IMO

Stall the Bailer

Half of all club players in Tyrone play reserve football. There is no reason why there can't be a reserve match every weekend from the start of April until the end of August (with a few rounds of championship and a July break as well). This would be a fix for 50% of the players (there is not going to be any county men playing reserve football).

Mikhailov

Agree totally regarding reserve season. This year we had no games for 7 weeks in September / early October then all reserve players expected to play c'ship on sat followed by ACL game on sunday for 2 weeks in a row - MH wouldn't let Tyrone seniors do that at county level so why expect the club player to do it...?

Club players are disregarded and that is fact....

Calling off ACL game 1 this year due to 7 day rule before NFL semi was crazy and then play it Sunday before the final - what was the sense in that. Could have played games before semi and final and that was an extra game out of the way.

Up The Middle

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 11, 2013, 03:14:39 PM
Agree totally regarding reserve season. This year we had no games for 7 weeks in September / early October then all reserve players expected to play c'ship on sat followed by ACL game on sunday for 2 weeks in a row - MH wouldn't let Tyrone seniors do that at county level so why expect the club player to do it...?

Club players are disregarded and that is fact....

Calling off ACL game 1 this year due to 7 day rule before NFL semi was crazy and then play it Sunday before the final - what was the sense in that. Could have played games before semi and final and that was an extra game out of the way.

Problem being that reserve players are the last thing on the minds of the CB, as if they care if there has to be 2 games in 24Hrs, as long as it doesn't affect Micky or the county lads then what odds. Our reserves were going for league and championship this year and 3 weekends in a row we had to play twice in 24Hrs, before that they hadn't kicked a ball in nearly 10 weeks.

People can say what they want but i will never be convinced that Harte is not behind all the chopping and changing of fixtures throughout the year to suit himself, leaving a massive fixture pile up after Tyrone go out.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

LeoMc

Mikhailov

LeoMc I hear and understand what you say and we all should give our tuppence worth to a set of fixtures but it is pointless. We could formulate the best scenario possible but then MH and Micky Donnelly will request changes and of course our CB and CCC will bow down to the request. The issue in previous years was not necessarily the fixtures plan - I think it was the point of how it was ambushed by all and sundry to accommodate our county teams. in 2011 it was perfect, games regular, holiday period defined but then the men at the top table thought they could improve on it and put their own stamp on it and bandjaxed the whole thing !!.

If the fixtures are in place then we must stick to them !!. Another issue is that in August there was no notification of what would happen in A) if Tyrone win B) Tyrone lose - this caused uproar and we had to wait until Monday morning to see if there was any football for the upcoming week.

No wonder all lads play other sports during the winter - organised fixtures with no cancellations for stag do's, weddings, flu bugs... or whatever.

Formulate a fixture schedule by all means but it means nothing if we don't stick to it - and that means clubs, county managers, Cb, CCC...

Redhand Santa

You've made a lot of assumptions in there. Not only were they nothing to do with the discussion but they were also wrong. I have a great interest in both my club and county. I'd say quite confidently that I've more than likely been to more club games than you this year. Whether that my own club games or our underage games or even games as a neutral.  If you'd looked back through my posts you'd see I made various suggestions to improve the club season.

Like many others I suggested playing away with reserve games. I also wanted more constant fixtures without the big gaps. My point above was that its hard to play club championship games in late July early August as more often than that they'll be interrupted by Tyrone. So the options are to cram fixtures into September or play an earlier round or 2. For me there is great optimism in may or June and teams are ready for the championship. It can be worked that players going to America won't miss any games as the next rounds aren't to September and it can be better planned.

I only got involved as I thought a cheap dig was being made at Harte that was unreasonable. The players are available a lot more than the likes of Armagh during their championship involvement.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 11, 2013, 09:26:28 PM

You've made a lot of assumptions in there. Not only were they nothing to do with the discussion but they were also wrong. I have a great interest in both my club and county. I'd say quite confidently that I've more than likely been to more club games than you this year. Whether that my own club games or our underage games or even games as a neutral.  If you'd looked back through my posts you'd see I made various suggestions to improve the club season.

Like many others I suggested playing away with reserve games. I also wanted more constant fixtures without the big gaps. My point above was that its hard to play club championship games in late July early August as more often than that they'll be interrupted by Tyrone. So the options are to cram fixtures into September or play an earlier round or 2. For me there is great optimism in may or June and teams are ready for the championship. It can be worked that players going to America won't miss any games as the next rounds aren't to September and it can be better planned.

I only got involved as I thought a cheap dig was being made at Harte that was unreasonable. The players are available a lot more than the likes of Armagh during their championship involvement.

Why should it be?
Look, if lads decide to go to america for the summer, then fair enough, but the whole adult fixtures shouldn't be planned around them.