Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on May 25, 2016, 09:14:21 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 25, 2016, 01:25:39 AM
Just watched a programme on Sky about Andy Cole...Fcuk he was good. Some of his goals were amazing...yet he never gets mentioned when the United greats are discussed. Discuss ;)

Andy Cole was a great striker but it was his chances to goals ratio that would have hurt him from being regarded as one of the greats.
And to be fair with the amount of chances that team created per game, most strikers would have ended up with a bag full of goals.

Cole was a very good player, his all round play when he first came to United was average but he really did improve his all round game as time went on but unfortunately he was also slowing down. He won a lot of trophies at United and had a great career but when you win as much as United have done the last 25 years he's way down the pecking order. He's a long way off Van Nistelrooy who was comfortably the best no 9 we've had in my time watching United.

Gonzalo15

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 25, 2016, 02:51:32 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 25, 2016, 09:14:21 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 25, 2016, 01:25:39 AM
Just watched a programme on Sky about Andy Cole...Fcuk he was good. Some of his goals were amazing...yet he never gets mentioned when the United greats are discussed. Discuss ;)

Andy Cole was a great striker but it was his chances to goals ratio that would have hurt him from being regarded as one of the greats.
And to be fair with the amount of chances that team created per game, most strikers would have ended up with a bag full of goals.

Cole was a very good player, his all round play when he first came to United was average but he really did improve his all round game as time went on but unfortunately he was also slowing down. He won a lot of trophies at United and had a great career but when you win as much as United have done the last 25 years he's way down the pecking order. He's a long way off Van Nistelrooy who was comfortably the best no 9 we've had in my time watching United.

+1
Ruud was the man

screenexile

Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2016, 02:50:10 PM
Quote from: stew on May 25, 2016, 02:35:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2016, 01:59:37 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2016, 11:28:44 AM
Its funny how some clubs fancy winning the CL over winning their domestic league first....
the CL is a money racket. Man U has been conspicuous by its absence from the tournament.

Really? How many tines have they missed out since its inception?

A lit if excellent clubs have missed out a lot more than united, why the fixation on them?
It is not a club, Stew. It is more than that. It is the theatre of dreams.

#theatreofwanks

NAG1

Quote from: screenexile on May 25, 2016, 03:20:14 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2016, 02:50:10 PM
Quote from: stew on May 25, 2016, 02:35:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2016, 01:59:37 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2016, 11:28:44 AM
Its funny how some clubs fancy winning the CL over winning their domestic league first....
the CL is a money racket. Man U has been conspicuous by its absence from the tournament.

Really? How many tines have they missed out since its inception?

A lit if excellent clubs have missed out a lot more than united, why the fixation on them?
It is not a club, Stew. It is more than that. It is the theatre of dreams.

#theatreofwanks

Good man screen yet another cracking contribution.

nrico2006

Could Mourinho win the CL with United? Of course he could, ffs City nearly got to the final this year. Also, does someone here really believe that Pochettino and Tuchel (evenhad to Google him) are better managers than Mourinho? Seriously deluded if true.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 25, 2016, 03:56:21 PM
Could Mourinho win the CL with United? Of course he could, ffs City nearly got to the final this year. Also, does someone here really believe that Pochettino and Tuchel (evenhad to Google him) are better managers than Mourinho? Seriously deluded if true.
They are more likely to win stuff in the future. Is Murray better than Federer?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2016, 05:29:14 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 25, 2016, 03:56:21 PM
They are more likely to win stuff in the future. Is Murray better than Federer?

So would Liverpool fans rather win the CL or the EPL?? Christ its been 26 years!! But over a season Liverpool win a match its like they won the league!! Not the fact they finished the season poorly... Isn't a case of accepting poor league positions over the years and win the odd cup competition that they are happy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

You are a wee bit obsessed with Liverpool MR2 !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on May 25, 2016, 10:35:56 PM

Just a bit. As for CL or EPL, I'd say EPL. As Bob Paisley said, that's your bread and butter. In fact I'd prefer a return to the system where it was only champions who entered it (European Cup) and screw these group stages non-events.

Milltown Row2

As are (obsessed with utd) Laois boyo, tony, seafood screen, and the rest of the pools lads that come on the utd thread.. would that not be fair?

believe it or not, I actually like Liverpool, I grew up actually watching hem win league after league and European cups all the time.. its the fans that I really have a issue with....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gabriel_Hurl

yellowcard

Image rights still holding up the Mourinho deal from being signed which says it all about modern football. Apparently Chelsea still own the 'Jose Mourinho' name as a trademark and may have to pay off Mourinho for the rights. Man Utd is a commercial cash cow and Jorge Mendes prize pupil is a commercial mans dream. It's easy to see why Woodward opted for him given his primary objective of improving the brand and generating more revenue.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2016, 06:28:25 AM
Image rights still holding up the Mourinho deal from being signed which says it all about modern football. Apparently Chelsea still own the 'Jose Mourinho' name as a trademark and may have to pay off Mourinho for the rights. Man Utd is a commercial cash cow and Jorge Mendes prize pupil is a commercial mans dream. It's easy to see why Woodward opted for him given his primary objective of improving the brand and generating more revenue.

Its a business..... They are out too make money, that has always been the case....

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2016, 07:38:32 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2016, 06:28:25 AM

Its a business..... They are out too make money, that has always been the case....

+1

As it is the agents job to secure the best deal for his client. That is the way the business world of football works.

Not much traction in Chelsea owning the image rights to a rivals manager now anyway so expect that to be resolved with a cheque pretty sharpish.

With JM coming into the hot seat, do we think that he will be able to attract a few big name players even without CL football?

I don't think it is going to be dull that is for sure.

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2016, 11:25:55 PM
As are (obsessed with utd) Laois boyo, tony, seafood screen,and the rest of the pools lads  that come on the utd thread.. would that not be fair?

believe it or not, I actually like Liverpool, I grew up actually watching hem win league after league and European cups all the time.. its the fans that I really have a issue with....

Do one I'm no Liverpool supporter!!!!!