The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

Quote from: whitey on January 31, 2017, 05:01:15 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on January 31, 2017, 04:07:42 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 31, 2017, 02:23:28 PM
Quote from: Declan on January 31, 2017, 12:13:21 PM
QuoteI've been surprised, though, ever since the emergence of Trump and his campaign tactics, that, in general, the much maligned mainstream media appears to be avoiding reference to the similarities between the Trump movement and the fascist movements of the 1930s.

It can hardly be that they've failed to notice. I suppose it's editorial judgement. It would be all too easy for the alt-right to scream about hysteria and ridicule any comparisons with Nazism or Italian fascism. How long can it be, though?

This is the poster which hangs at the US Holocaust Museum - given the statement issued by El Presidente on National Holocaust Day this week that failed to mention the Jewish people handy to remind ourselves

Looking at it objectively (if that's possible on this forum), how many of those Fascim traits listed has Trump exhibited since he was elected (and that wasn't exhibited by say Bush II or Clinton)?
We're getting a bit hysterical I think.

1. "America First"
2. "Muslim Ban", "I'd bomb the shit out of them" "torture works"
3. See number 2
4. Three generals in his cabinet - not that unusual - having to get a waiver for one to run Defence and having his NSA as one - yes, unusual
5. Machedo- pussy - his entire married life
6. Not as possible today as in the 30s in modern western democracies - but "cowed" mass media is something he is definitely attempting, constantly attacking MSM
7. See numbers 2, 3, 4
8. Certainly Bannon/Miller are making national security decisions based on a perceived clash between Christianity and Islam - with a whole tablespoon of anti-Semitism thrown in
9. See all his cabinet picks except Kelly and Mattis
10. See his previous career and attempts to keep unions out of Trump Hotels
11. Meryl Streep et al - degrading of scientific research at EPA/NASA etc
12. "American carnage" - "Send in the Feds"
13. See number 9, plus failure to divest himself of family company, sons attending meetings with foreign leaders, son-in-law as advisor etc
14. See everything he said about rigged elections during the campaign - and everything he is saying now re 3-5 million voters - all as preparation for "reforms" - can't wait for them.

If it walks like a duck, Hound.....

800 people murdered in Chicago in 2016.  52 killed already this year

I think "carnage " is a pretty accurate description

Perhaps in Chicago. As you well know, Chicago is a complete outlier to all other major American cities (746 by the way killed, but what is 54 people between friends? Or accuracy?) which have been on a downward decline for the past ten years (before levelling last year) and are still at historic lows.

And even Chicago's current murder rate, which exploded last year, is still below what happened there in the early to mid 90s. Chicago has a peculiar set of circumstances, which seem to be driving the murder rate, but of course focusing on the exception rather than the rule is the surest way of driving fear and ignorance - which helps Trump. So you either know that, and are a cynical pro Trump troll, or you're the idiot at the table.

Take your pick. And keep it up. You know what they say - character is destiny.

Eamonnca1

Conservatives like Chicago when talking about crime for the same they like temperatures in 1998 when talking about climate change.

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on January 31, 2017, 07:02:15 PM
It is not about terrorism.  Bannon wants to cut immigration for a permanent white majority

Too late for that, you only have to look at the demographics of 3 of the 4 (maybe even all 4) most populated states to see that non-hispanic whites are either no longer a majority or heading that way, or in the case of the largest state, no longer the largest minority.

A Look at the age profile and birth rate by ethnicity to see where the trend is going. It seems to me a lot of whites see children as expensive and annoying and dont have them.

This is the case even if all immigration stops tomorrow.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on January 31, 2017, 04:28:40 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 30, 2017, 11:37:47 PM

Be well and keep safe everyone

Not if the liberals have their way. Turkeys voting for christmas holidays
They don't care about putting future generations in peril as long as they feel smug about their humanitarian efforts.

I stopped reading at "liberals"

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on January 31, 2017, 07:18:03 PM
QuoteI've been surprised, though, ever since the emergence of Trump and his campaign tactics, that, in general, the much maligned mainstream media appears to be avoiding reference to the similarities between the Trump movement and the fascist movements of the 1930s.

It can hardly be that they've failed to notice. I suppose it's editorial judgement. It would be all too easy for the alt-right to scream about hysteria and ridicule any comparisons with Nazism or Italian fascism. How long can it be, though?

This is the poster which hangs at the US Holocaust Museum - given the statement issued by El Presidente on National Holocaust Day this week that failed to mention the Jewish people handy to remind ourselves

Looking at it objectively (if that's possible on this forum), how many of those Fascim traits listed has Trump exhibited since he was elected (and that wasn't exhibited by say Bush II or Clinton)?

1. "America First"
3. See number 2
4. Three generals in his cabinet - not that unusual - having to get a waiver for one to run Defence and having his NSA as one - yes, unusual
6. Not as possible today as in the 30s in modern western democracies - but "cowed" mass media is something he is definitely attempting, constantly attacking MSM
7. See numbers 2, 3, 4
8. Certainly Bannon/Miller are making national security decisions based on a perceived clash between Christianity and Islam - with a whole tablespoon of anti-Semitism thrown in
13. See number 9, plus failure to divest himself of family company, sons attending meetings with foreign leaders, son-in-law as advisor etc
14. See everything he said about rigged elections during the campaign - and everything he is saying now re 3-5 million voters - all as preparation for "reforms" - can't wait for them.

Perhaps in Chicago. As you well know, Chicago is a complete outlier to all other major American cities (746 by the way killed, but what is 54 people between friends? Or accuracy?) which have been on a downward decline for the past ten years (before levelling last year) and are still at historic lows.

And even Chicago's current murder rate, which exploded last year, is still below what happened there in the early to mid 90s. Chicago has a peculiar set of circumstances, which seem to be driving the murder rate, but of course focusing on the exception rather than the rule is the surest way of driving fear and ignorance - which helps Trump. So you either know that, and are a cynical pro Trump troll, or you're the idiot at the table.

Haha...you have no problems with outliers when it suits your cause....ie Californias population

seafoid

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/trump-administration-jobs/514805/

So what is a patriotic American who's been asked to serve to do? A few suggestions.
A law-abiding person will want to stay as far as possible from the personal service of President Trump. As demonstrated by the sad example of Press Secretary Sean Spicer spouting glaring lies on his first day on the job, this president will demand that his aides do improper things—and the low standards of integrity in Trump's entourage create a culture of conformity to those demands.

A wise patriot might be wary of working directly for or near Flynn or anybody else tied to the Russian state, the entities it controls, or Russian business interests. The National Security Council staff has engorged itself to such an enormous size in recent years—now some 400 people—that there are many important roles to fill, safely firewalled away from Flynn.

Hardy

Quote from: J70 on January 31, 2017, 05:12:34 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on January 31, 2017, 04:54:28 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 31, 2017, 04:38:14 PM

They don't care about putting future generations in peril as long as they feel smug about their humanitarian efforts.

No doubt you have statistics and data to back that up?

I will take no pleasure in years to come saying I told you so.

That's a no then.

But look, leaving aside the smart ass stuff, I've no problem with these refugees being put through a rigorous screening process. I don't see how anyone can, especially after what happened with the lads who returned to Belgium from Syria and carried out the Paris attacks and so on. But that screening is already happening. Its not like Trump hit the transition or even the intelligence briefings last summer and said that the system was a mess. He's been on about this for 18 months, purely as a way to raise support for his campaign.

The biggest threats to US citizens, by far, as from other US citizens, and even among those, muslim terrorism is an extremely small threat.

But mass shootings and even lone shootings are simply accepted as a fact of life, a background contributer to everyday life and death in the US. The risk to the average person from muslim terrorism in the US is way, way overblown compared to what the real threats are.

People just don't have any understanding of the concept of risk.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2016-09-01-1472759565-493250-extreme_extreme_vetting.jpg

easytiger95

Quote from: whitey on January 31, 2017, 07:57:35 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on January 31, 2017, 07:18:03 PM

1. "America First"
3. See number 2
7. See numbers 2, 3, 4

Haha...you have no problems with outliers when it suits your cause....ie Californias population
Haha- please quote where I ever made that argument. (Spoiler alert- I never did)

But if I did, I would say the classic liberal argument is that California's population should not be considered an outlier, that it should be considered merely as part of a national collective if the EC was abolished, and if that was the case, a vote in California would be worth exactly the same as a vote anywhere else in the US. Which is exactly the opposite of an outlier.

Guess we settled the argument on whether you are a troll or an idiot.

whitey

No need to resort to insults.  My opinions are just as valid as yours....that's what one does on a discussion board...offer opinions

No wides

What is wrong with looking after your own. How many here would take a refugee or a stranger into their home. Hypocrite s the lot. Discussion board warrior's Hardy and J70 two biggest shit talkers.

No wides

Be careful lads the liberals dont like it up them. I have received a warning for posting offensive material this in a board where folk can slander parents of child abuse victims without rebuke. The watsup gang must be colluding.

J70

Quote from: No wides on January 31, 2017, 09:05:09 PM
What is wrong with looking after your own. How many here would take a refugee or a stranger into their home. Hypocrite s the lot. Discussion board warrior's Hardy and J70 two biggest shit talkers.

And as usual all you can do is throw insults around instead of addressing actual points. :-*

Carry on.

No wides

Quote from: J70 on January 31, 2017, 09:13:04 PM

And as usual all you can do is throw insults around instead of addressing actual points. :-*

Carry on.

You are unreal read back kid you are the mastet of personal insults. So would you take a refugee into your home,

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 31, 2017, 07:25:54 PM

I stopped reading at "liberals"

That's a shame - the smug bit was for you.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

J70

Quote from: No wides on January 31, 2017, 09:14:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 31, 2017, 09:13:04 PM

Carry on.

You are unreal read back kid you are the mastet of personal insults. So would you take a refugee into your home,

Yeah, but I address the arguments first and foremost. You do only the insults.

As for personally taking someone into my home, I'm not in a position to take anyone into my home. But I'm perfectly happy to support politicians who want to help and pay extra taxes/make charitable contributions to support government programmes and NGOs, you know, professional outfits that are actually trained and equipped to deal with this stuff. The idea that its either personally take people into your own home or shut the f**k up is just simplistic, idiotic nonsense meant to shut down debate because you don't want to hear that we should be helping them out.