Author Topic: Arlene and The Renewable Heat Incentive  (Read 33869 times)

give her dixie

• View Profile
Re: Arlene and The Renewable Heat Incentive
« Reply #705 on: Today at 02:19:42 PM »
RHI scandal: Locations of RHI boilers revealed to BBC

Most companies on the lucrative RHI scheme are based in mid-Ulster and north Antrim, according to information passed to the BBC.

A regional breakdown of installations published by the Stephen Nolan Show on Radio Ulster shows the biggest cluster is around Dungannon, County Tyrone.

There are 342 boilers there - about one-in-six of the total.

The statistics show the total of 2,128 recipients are split roughly between commercial and farming interests.

Around Ballymena and Ballymoney there are 276 boilers.

Poultry farmers are heavily represented, accounting for 871 of the installations.

The two main clusters are close to Moy Park's processing plants in Northern Ireland, in Ballymena and Dungannon.

Poultry farmers use the boilers to heat chicken houses where the birds are reared.

Many switched from LPG gas to biomass in recent years.

Other areas where there are significant numbers of boilers by postcode include Armagh which has 112 and Omagh which has 82.

Last week, Finance Minister Máirtín Ó Muilleoir said a Moy Park briefing with his officials had raised "issues" about the operation of the RHI scheme.

Moy Park later issued a statement but made no reference to those issues.

On Monday, the former DETI minister Jonathan Bell claimed under assembly privilege that he had been told DUP special advisers Timothy Johnston and John Robinson had extensive interests in the poultry industry, and that he would not be allowed to reduce the RHI tariff as a result.

The DUP later issued a statement of categorical denial on behalf of both men.

John Robinson said he had "no personal interest" in the poultry industry. He said two of his brothers were poultry farmers but were not in the RHI.

Timothy Johnston said he had "no family connections to the poultry industry". He said he had two brothers in law in the poultry industry but neither had any connection with the RHI.

On Tuesday, Mr Bell said he was prepared to repeat allegations he made about the role played by special advisers in the RHI scheme, to a judge-led inquiry.

Consumption of heat

He was speaking during an an opposition debate in the Assembly calling for a public inquiry into the controversial scheme.

He also made further allegations about the RHI scheme - suggesting at least one DUP special adviser might have up to eight boilers. The party said it was an "outrageous claim".

MLAs later voted for a public inquiry to be called into the controversy in a debate where Sinn Féin were absent.

The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme was an attempt by the Northern Ireland Executive to help to increase consumption of heat from renewable sources.

But flaws in setting the scheme's subsidy rate left it open to abuse as claimants could earn more cash the more fuel they burned, with the overspend estimated to be about £490m.

It has been centre stage in politics in Northern Ireland over the past month, with the resignation of Martin McGuinness as deputy first minister bringing the issue to a head.

Sinn Féin's refusal to re-nominate a deputy first minister on Monday left Secretary of State James Brokenshire with no option but to call fresh Assembly elections on 2 March.

Former first minister Arlene Foster set up the scheme in 2012 when she was enterprise minister.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38651736?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_news_ni&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=northern_ireland
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: Today at 02:34:57 PM »
Dixie

Would there be a lot of poultry farmers in Tyrone and Fernanagh ???

Tyrone is has almost as many hen houses as it has wind turbines.  Possibly the highest density of both in the country.

It is incredible the amount of wind farms that have sprung up across the county.

I drove across from Garvaghey to Carrickmore and into Pomeroy last week and there must have been 100 of them built or in construction. There has to be some kind of lucrative scheme going on there, as well as fast tracking planning permission.

It is ridiculous the amount of them that is going up in that area. They really are a blight on the countryside and people are just letting it happen.

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: Today at 02:48:15 PM »
Dixie

Tyrone is has almost as many hen houses as it has wind turbines.  Possibly the highest density of both in the country.

It is incredible the amount of wind farms that have sprung up across the county.

I drove across from Garvaghey to Carrickmore and into Pomeroy last week and there must have been 100 of them built or in construction. There has to be some kind of lucrative scheme going on there, as well as fast tracking planning permission.

It is ridiculous the amount of them that is going up in that area. They really are a blight on the countryside and people are just letting it happen.

Rising sea levels caused by global warming which has a direct link to greenhouse gas emissions from non-renewable energy sources will be a considerably more serious blight in the decades to come.

give her dixie

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: Today at 02:53:06 PM »
Dixie

I couldn't believe the amount of them in an area of outstanding natural beauty.

How are they getting planning permission, and who is giving it?

I wonder how much the land owner is getting for each one going up?

johnneycool

• who loves ya baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: Today at 02:55:19 PM »
Dixie

I couldn't believe the amount of them in an area of outstanding natural beauty.

How are they getting planning permission, and who is giving it?

I wonder how much the land owner is getting for each one going up?

Was told by a local farmer they'd two options, one off payment of £20K or a set fee per year, but I think that's all hit on the head now.

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: Today at 03:04:15 PM »
It is in the region of 60k per year per Windmill.

Take Your Points

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: Today at 07:34:40 PM »
It is not just the wind turbines that are a blight on the countryside but the electrical infrastructure that is required to carry the electricity away.

There is a huge substation being built in the shadow of the Tyrone GAA HQ in Garvaghey and it is linked to Omagh and Tamnamore by pylons carrying cables in both directions.  It begs the question as to where the electricity from all of those turbines was going until this infrastructure is completed.

Again Arlene has added to this problem.  When she was DETI minister she had the opportunity to have a 600MW off shore wind farm built off the north coast.  Due to her approach to her work she missed the deadline for the invitation from the GB Treasury for the wind farm and it was constructed off the GB coast.

give her dixie

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: Today at 08:55:22 PM »
DUP adviser says father-in-law runs two boilers under RHI energy scheme

A DUP adviser accused by a party rebel of blocking cost controls on the RHI has said his father-in-law runs two green energy boilers under the scheme.

John Robinson, special adviser to current DUP Economy minister Simon Hamilton, insisted the poultry farmer signed up to the scheme before he married his daughter and stressed he had never advised anyone to join the botched state-subsidy initiative.

Mr Robinson, a former director of communications with the DUP, told the Press Association neither he or his wife had any direct involvement with the business or RHI.

He said his father-in-law joined the scheme before he started to work directly with Mr Hamilton.

On Monday, suspended DUP MLA Jonathan Bell used Assembly privilege to claim he was thwarted in his efforts to clamp down on the multi-million pound RHI overspend because two DUP special advisers "have such extensive interests in the poultry industry".

Mr Bell, himself a former DUP economy minister, named Mr Robinson and fellow DUP special adviser Timothy Johnston.

In response, the DUP branded Mr Bell's allegations as "outrageous, untrue and unfounded mud-slinging".

A party statement on Monday said: "Timothy Johnston has no interests whatsoever in the poultry industry and does not benefit or have any family members who applied to or benefit from RHI.

"John Robinson has no personal interest in the poultry industry. His family home farm have chicken houses but are not part of the RHI scheme and never have been recipients or applicants."

In response to specific queries from the Press Association on Tuesday, Mr Robinson said his father-in-law was part of the RHI scheme.

"I have never had any personal financial interest in the RHI scheme," he said.

"At no point have I ever advised anyone to join the scheme or sought to benefit in any way from it.

"I have two brothers who are poultry farmers. They are not part of the scheme nor did they apply to the scheme.

"My father-in-law purchased two 36KW boilers for his poultry business in May 2015, they were installed in July 2015 and he applied to the scheme on August 3 2015.

"This was before I was married in October 2015. At no time did we discuss any aspect of the scheme nor was I aware of his application to the scheme.

"Neither my wife nor I have ever had any role in the business nor have we received any benefit, financial or otherwise, from the business.

"I was appointed as an adviser in the Department for the Economy in June 2016. I was not involved in any aspect of the RHI scheme prior to taking up the post."

Mr Bell and senior DUP figures, including leader Arlene Foster, are at odds about the chain of events that led to cost controls being introduced into the widely over-budget scheme and its ultimate closure.

He was suspended from the party after making serious allegations against Mrs Foster and a number of party advisers in a TV interview before Christmas. His accusations were denied by all those he named.

The Strangford MLA's subsequent claims in an Assembly debate on Monday came at a time when Mr Hamilton is facing growing pressure to publish the names of all the beneficiaries of the RHI scheme.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/01/17/news/dup-adviser-says-father-in-law-runs-two-boilers-under-rhi-energy-scheme-890593/?param=ds441rif44T

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: Today at 09:10:23 PM »
Dixie

Rising sea levels caused by global warming which has a direct link to greenhouse gas emissions from non-renewable energy sources will be a considerably more serious blight in the decades to come.

Or slap one nuclear power plant up at magiligan, far cheaper, less CO2 emissions, powers the whole place and no one even knows its there