The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: deiseach on January 06, 2011, 10:39:43 AM
Quote from: AFS on January 06, 2011, 10:17:52 AM
Quote from: screenmachine on January 06, 2011, 10:01:23 AM
Sammy Lee would be the icing on the cake. No reputable manager or anyone after a pinch of success would touch Liverpool with a barge pole.

Don't underestimate the ego of people involved in football. There are plenty of reputable men that'll be thinking all Liverpool need is their magic touch.

Moreover, despite the current shitfest, the Liverpool job is still a very prestigious one. A lot of reputable managers, like Martin O'Neill, won't get many more shots at jobs of this stature.

Well said. There are far more managers with aspirations to greatness than there are clubs who have the potential for greatness. If Liverpool don't attract 'reputable' managers then what clubs are they holding out for?

Yes but the wrong club can also destroy a manager who may of once be considered a success (or even well thought off).

Bensars

The problem at Liverpool is not solely managerial incompetence. The writing was on the wall with this current squad even before Hodgson took over. Some of these problems were being ignored by the more faithfull supporters in their quest to back Benitez to the hilt. Ultimatley they have a squad of players who are prepared to accept a huge wage but without putting in the effort on the pitch. If you compare it to Liverpool teams of the past it is a sad reflection.

A new manager may improve things but the players have to take a lot of responsibility also. I dont know the exact wage demands but collectively i would guess that the average weekly wage of the team on display last night would have been around 25K + which is disgraceful.

Bingo

Bensars of course the players have to take some responsibilities but you have to remember we are talking about footballers here, they don't know the meaning of the word. Its also very easy to say that but the players are often a reflection of the manager from who they take instruction and direction. If they didn't why would we need a manager as such and could a high wage bill with the top players not guarantee success.

I'd take Owen Coyle as a great example of a team reflecting a manager. Bolton looked relegation certs before he got in, now they in top half, playing a totally different style of football with largely the same squad of players. By no means are they real deal but reflect what a team can do when they get a confident manager in charge who can get the team playing as per his direction. Jose is probably the ultimate manager, Fergie likewise - they can continuly get their teams performing is a style or manner that never changes regardless of the personnel. Its win at all costs for their teams and they have the belief to do so.

deiseach

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on January 06, 2011, 10:50:28 AM
Yes but the wrong club can also destroy a manager who may of once be considered a success (or even well thought off).

Again, I ask what club such a manager is holding out for? "Ooh, I don't want to go near Liverpool, better wait for the Arsenal job to become available"!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Leo on January 06, 2011, 12:33:47 AM
The obvious choice is O'Neill but I believe he knows the club is stuffed financially and will stay well clear.

The club is actually completely stable financially. All that is there now is a working debt that most clubs have. They won't be spending Man City like money but I would expect FSG to spend quite a bit next Summer at least. Obviously some of that will probably be raised through the sale of Torres but any new manager will probably have a very healthy transfer budget to start rebuilding with next Summer.

Dinny Breen

The ownership problems at Liverpool are obviously the root cause of their current travails but I still can't help but think that the sale of Alonso in 2009 was the one transfer that should never have happened and Benetiz's biggest mistake. Never got the Mascherano hype yet always thought Alonso was under-valued at Liverpool.

Anyway Liverpool are 2nd only to Man United when it come's to prestige in England and would be a marquee name throughout the world very few managers would not consider the role. However anyone calling for Martin O'Neill, are you mad, have you not seen the legacies at Villa and Celtic that he left behind, he has a complete lack of understanding of squad rotation and management, there is no British manager bar maybe David Moyes would be capable of taking Liverpool forward. Liverpool do not need a short term fix but a manager with a vision and a minimum 5 year strategy.

The most interesting name that I can see is Jurgen Klopp, very highly rated in Germany and have worked in Germany will have no problems fitting into a cost-effective management process that UEFA's new rules will require.

However I think Liverpool supporters need to sit back and realise that they will need to be patient and that a new manager will not suddenly wave a magic wand, handle expectation and set small targets because at it stands both Manchester clubs and the top 3 London clubs have better squads.

Football like all things in life is cyclical so Liverpool will be back just no one can guarantee when....
#newbridgeornowhere

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: deiseach on January 06, 2011, 11:05:54 AM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on January 06, 2011, 10:50:28 AM

Again, I ask what club such a manager is holding out for? "Ooh, I don't want to go near Liverpool, better wait for the Arsenal job to become available"!

Well maybe then the timing of becoming Manager of a club has more to do with it. The Liverpool job is a tough one at the minute.

Its going to take a great manager to turn it round so its a difficult one.

Dont have an answer but someone is going to have to take the risk.

Minder

Agree with almost all of what Dinny said, though Liverpool had no option with the Alonso sale. He wanted to go, and the pull of Real Madrid is too strong for any player ( as Utd fans will know), especially a Spanish one in a World Cup year. Alonsos wife just had a baby which probably accelerated things, though Rafas flirtations with the cart horse that is Gareth Barry the previous summer didn't help. To Alonsos credit he played his best season of football that year.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Minder on January 06, 2011, 11:45:04 AM
Agree with almost all of what Dinny said, though Liverpool had no option with the Alonso sale. He wanted to go, and the pull of Real Madrid is too strong for any player ( as Utd fans will know), especially a Spanish one in a World Cup year. Alonsos wife just had a baby which probably accelerated things, though Rafas flirtations with the cart horse that is Gareth Barry the previous summer didn't help. To Alonsos credit he played his best season of football that year.

Yeah you got in there before me. Alonso wanted to go. As you say Rafa's inexplicable chase of Barry didn't help but he would have gone anyways.

supersub

A few points to note,

1. Whoever said what reputable manager would want the job is clearly deluded, as has been said Liverpool are one of the most highly respected and successful clubs in Europe - yes they are going through a rough patch but managers can't be expected to be handed a title winning team on a plate.

2. The effect of a manager on a team is paramount. Regardless of the players, a good motivator and someone with a will to win and hungriness for success makes all the difference to a team. Take David Moyes, Martin O'Neill, Owen Coyle, Ian Holloway they have all had limited budgets and few if any 'world class' players between them yet they have got the best out of the players they have and made them reach their potential, and most of all the players are inspired and want to do well under them.

3. As I have said before the loss of Alonso and Mascherano has been pivotal in liverpools decline, you can't lose two such effective players and not replace them and expect to pick up where you left off without them.

Doogie Browser

Mascherano does not seem to be getting much game time at Barca since he moved.

J OGorman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 06, 2011, 11:35:10 AM
The ownership problems at Liverpool are obviously the root cause of their current travails but I still can't help but think that the sale of Alonso in 2009 was the one transfer that should never have happened and Benetiz's biggest mistake. Never got the Mascherano hype yet always thought Alonso was under-valued at Liverpool.

Anyway Liverpool are 2nd only to Man United when it come's to prestige in England and would be a marquee name throughout the world very few managers would not consider the role. However anyone calling for Martin O'Neill, are you mad, have you not seen the legacies at Villa and Celtic that he left behind, he has a complete lack of understanding of squad rotation and management, there is no British manager bar maybe David Moyes would be capable of taking Liverpool forward. Liverpool do not need a short term fix but a manager with a vision and a minimum 5 year strategy.

The most interesting name that I can see is Jurgen Klopp, very highly rated in Germany and have worked in Germany will have no problems fitting into a cost-effective management process that UEFA's new rules will require.

However I think Liverpool supporters need to sit back and realise that they will need to be patient and that a new manager will not suddenly wave a magic wand, handle expectation and set small targets because at it stands both Manchester clubs and the top 3 London clubs have better squads.

Football like all things in life is cyclical so Liverpool will be back just no one can guarantee when....

classic, O'Neill a success @ both clubs. How can those who followed O'Neill @ Celtic and Villa and their failings be O'Neills 'legacy'? That logic is off the radar

blewuporstuffed

i know its all speculation, but any players you would like to see coming in in jan?
i think they need a major clearout and a few new faces in, as much to freshen the squad as anything and there seems to be a bad atmospherre around the current squad.

i would like to see someone like gary cahill coming in to play at the back with agger. I would get rid of skertl and keep the greek as back up.
left back needed, but its hard to identify one.
some one to form a partnership with torres and ease the burden on him.
I dont think this needs to be a 40million striker like alot of people are suggesting, someone like elmander or even kevin doyle who you could pick up cheap, might be able to form a decent partner ship with torres and take alot of the physical burden off him up there on his own.

those few players arnt going to turn them into premier league contendders over night, but may help steady the ship a bit.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Dinny Breen

Quoteclassic, O'Neill a success @ both clubs. How can those who followed O'Neill @ Celtic and Villa and their failings be O'Neills 'legacy'? That logic is off the radar

Sorry but it should be the remit of any manager to leave them in a healthier state than when he joined, Martin O'Neill's legacies tend to be aging squads and no youth development. What success did have at Villa btw?
#newbridgeornowhere