Author Topic: Wasps  (Read 3854 times)

Itchy

• View Profile
Re: Wasps
« Reply #45 on: Today at 11:05:44 AM »
Why is it ok to kill a wasp and not ok to shoot a lion. Discuss.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Today at 11:15:21 AM »
If a lion comes into your bedroom then it is OK to shoot him too, although I wouldn't suggest hitting him with a rolled up newspaper.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Today at 12:07:32 PM »
No lion has even built a nest in or near my garden that marks it out of bounds until it's either dealt with through pest control or autumn starts to settle in

No lion has ever sneaked in to my half-drunk soft drink can and then started attacking me when I needed a sip.

Lions don't land on your food on the kitchen worktop, or hang around your bins.

A lion can't hurt you when it's dead.

You can usually see a lion on the seat of your chair before you sit down on it.

Lions don't tend to go on suicide missions against humans in August/September/early October.

A lioness will not produce tens of thousands of offspring in her lifetime that a queen wasp is capable of.

Shooting a lion as a trophy is frowned upon, shooting a lion that is a predator to livestock should ideally not be the first resort to dealing with them. Shooting a lion when one is an immediate danger to yourself or others around you is acceptable albeit usually reluctant and rather it didn't happen. Shooting a wasp with a firearm is (a) unlikely to do much good, and (b) somewhat of an overkill - especially if you're using your Uzi or AR-15.

Finally, lions are presently categorised in conversation statuses internationally as a vulnerable species whose historical distribution was far more widespread than it is today, where the number of lions in the wild are estimated to have plummeted in the last several decades. OTOH wasps are anything but vulnerable, and have been a significant problem when introduced into new ecological areas e.g. New Zealand.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:10:35 PM by Fionntamhnach »
Putting internet gobsh*tes in their place since 1999.

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Today at 12:20:00 PM »
Hardly seen a wasp this summer until the start of this month. Not quite overwhelmed with them yet, but as MS says above, we're now hitting the time of year where they get easily quite touchy.

Wasps - natures little b*stards.  >:(

Put out a plate with some jam or sugary water or whatever in it. That's all they're after. The queens have stopped laying eggs, the nest social order is breaking down and they don't have to gather other insects any more to feed the new larvae. They'll all be dead soon anyway except for the overwintering queens.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Today at 01:27:11 PM »
Put out a plate with some jam or sugary water or whatever in it. That's all they're after. The queens have stopped laying eggs, the nest social order is breaking down and they don't have to gather other insects any more to feed the new larvae. They'll all be dead soon anyway except for the overwintering queens.

There is something to be said for a distraction like this at the other end of the garden.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Today at 06:55:24 PM »
Hardly seen a wasp this summer until the start of this month. Not quite overwhelmed with them yet, but as MS says above, we're now hitting the time of year where they get easily quite touchy.

Wasps - natures little b*stards.  >:(

Never would have thought David Attenborough was member of GAA board  ;)  One of the wee b**tards tortured me up at Solitude all day today. Dunno how I didn't get stung.