The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 06, 2011, 12:26:36 PM
Quoteclassic, O'Neill a success @ both clubs. How can those who followed O'Neill @ Celtic and Villa and their failings be O'Neills 'legacy'? That logic is off the radar

Sorry but it should be the remit of any manager to leave them in a healthier state than when he joined, Martin O'Neill's legacies tend to be aging squads and no youth development. What success did have at Villa btw?

Depends what success is for a club. When O'Neill took over they went from finishing 16th to finishing 11th and then 6 three seasons in a row with a higher points and goals scored tally each year. 16th to 6th is quite a jump. He also got them to their first cup final in over a decade. He built a squad Which worked for eachother and consistently got the best out of the likes of ashley young, Barry, milner, agbonlehor, and the partnership of cuellar and dunne was one of the best in the EPL!

Tony Baloney

MON spent about 100 million over the past few years so I would guess Randy Lerner was expecting more bang for his buck than finishing 6th. He's a good manager but he has still to prove himself as a great manager.

118cmal

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 06, 2011, 12:55:59 PM
MON spent about 100 million over the past few years so I would guess Randy Lerner was expecting more bang for his buck than finishing 6th. He's a good manager but he has still to prove himself as a great manager.

Net?  I'd be very surprised if that's true.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: J OGorman on January 06, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Quoteclassic, O'Neill a success @ both clubs. How can those who followed O'Neill @ Celtic and Villa and their failings be O'Neills 'legacy'? That logic is off the radar

Sorry but it should be the remit of any manager to leave them in a healthier state than when he joined, Martin O'Neill's legacies tend to be aging squads and no youth development. What success did have at Villa btw?

finished 6th 3 seasons running with a team he built bar Abonglahor, qualification for europe on a shoestring compared to what the top 4 / 5 clubs spend...maybe you would view Chelsea buying a few leagues with unlimited cash as more of a successhttp://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?action=post;quote=899165;topic=11101.10700;num_replies=10727;b28f22745=704cc6a1c3b64d212b99542005602170

- He's spent £120million at Villa Park over four years and the best players at Villa in his time came through the academy or were already there not his buys such as Petrov, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Young L, Shorey, Salifou, Heskey, Harewood, Downing. A Young the expectation but now that Villa try and pass more he's been found out a little..
- Leaves massive wage bills behind..
- He played boring functional football that the Villa fans hated and it didn't win trophies
- Flogs his best players
- 58 years old
- Has never won a major trophy in a major league
- Has never managed in the Champions League Group Stages
-Tries to position himself as a 'thinker' but never managed to complete his law course
- talks the talk but has never really walked the walk
- relies on a big target man, hoofball and graft. Never seems to have moved on since the 1980s

He's good at manipulating the media and that is his best quality as a manager.

Yep definitely a man to lead Liverpool

#newbridgeornowhere

stiffler

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 06, 2011, 01:07:56 PM

finished 6th 3 seasons running with a team he built bar Abonglahor, qualification for europe on a shoestring compared to what the top 4 / 5 clubs spend...maybe you would view Chelsea buying a few leagues with unlimited cash as more of a successhttp://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?action=post;quote=899165;topic=11101.10700;num_replies=10727;b28f22745=704cc6a1c3b64d212b99542005602170

- He's spent £120million at Villa Park over four years and the best players at Villa in his time came through the academy or were already there not his buys such as Petrov, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Young L, Shorey, Salifou, Heskey, Harewood, Downing. A Young the expectation but now that Villa try and pass more he's been found out a little..
- He played boring functional football that the Villa fans hated and it didn't win trophies
- Flogs his best players
- 58 years old
- Has never managed in the Champions League Group Stages-Tries to position himself as a 'thinker' but never managed to complete his law course
- relies on a big target man, hoofball and graft. Never seems to have moved on since the 1980s

Lies.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Minder

I think what Dinny means is he didnt get out of the group stages, nor won an away game if I remember correctly.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

J OGorman

Quote- He's spent £120million at Villa Park over four years and the best players at Villa in his time came through the academy or were already there not his buys such as Petrov, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Young L, Shorey, Salifou, Heskey, Harewood, Downing. A Young the expectation but now that Villa try and pass more he's been found out a little..

how much did he recoup in the 4 years? you point out he 'flogs his best players', surely he must have brought in a good whack

Quote- Leaves massive wage bills behind..

its a premiership club

Quote- He played boring functional football that the Villa fans hated and it didn't win trophies

ie he got the most out of the players he had. Do you watch much premiership football? 95% of the games are functional. Arsenal are about the only team who are more than functional

Quote- Flogs his best players

best players in your opinion? Surely if he sold his best players he would have finished lower than 6th? Or maybe this shows what a good manager he is, sells his best players, finishes 6th again and reaches a cup final..go figure

Quote- 58 years old

??

Quote- Has never won a major trophy in a major league

not too many managers have outside the big spenders, plenty of time though. 2 league cups with Leicester

Quote- Has never managed in the Champions League Group Stages

Managed in the CL....again plenty of time and if you think of some of the managers who have managed in the CL......

Quote-Tries to position himself as a 'thinker' but never managed to complete his law course

Ron Burgundy wouldnt come out with a line like that to pad out his point

Quote- talks the talk but has never really walked the walk

what on gods green earth do you mean?

Quote- relies on a big target man, hoofball and graft. Never seems to have moved on since the 1980s

you do what you have to do within your budget, thats whats its all about...who hasnt employed a big target man at a stage? Barca? England?

Graft? abso-f**king-lutely

QuoteHe's good at manipulating the media and that is his best quality as a manager.

there endth the point making

QuoteYep definitely a man to lead Liverpool

correct

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 06, 2011, 12:20:36 PM
i know its all speculation, but any players you would like to see coming in in jan?
i think they need a major clearout and a few new faces in, as much to freshen the squad as anything and there seems to be a bad atmospherre around the current squad.

i would like to see someone like gary cahill coming in to play at the back with agger. I would get rid of skertl and keep the greek as back up.
left back needed, but its hard to identify one.
some one to form a partnership with torres and ease the burden on him.
I dont think this needs to be a 40million striker like alot of people are suggesting, someone like elmander or even kevin doyle who you could pick up cheap, might be able to form a decent partner ship with torres and take alot of the physical burden off him up there on his own.

those few players arnt going to turn them into premier league contendders over night, but may help steady the ship a bit.

Dont think Kevin Doyle would be too cheap.

Doogie Browser

I would take MON back in a heartbeat to Villa, his ambition to finish higher than 6th led him to leave, ultimately though I feel that we are no more than a top six anyway side unless we have more investment and R Lerner would not subsidise that at risk of our future - I can't fault him for that.
He bought Friedel - our best keeper in 20yrs, Ashley Young, Downing - who will come good and has been our best player this season after a full pre-season behind him.  Petrov does not get the recognition he deserves, look how much he was missed in the middle the past few months for Villa.

O'Neill has left every club he took over in a better state, Villa are suffering now from terrible mis-managment by Insp. Clouseau!

O'Neill is headstrong (a Derry trait!) and for that reason he will always have a fractured relationship with owners and for that reason alone I could not see him at Anfield as NESV look hard work (installtion of Commolli for one would not be to his liking).

Geoff Tipps

MON would not be a popular appointment amonst the fans especially match going ones. His style of football is unattractive and I would agree in the main with a lot of Dinny's points.
Now is the time to make a bold appointment. Someone like MON would be a retrograde step.
Having watched a lot of German football my first choice would be Jürgen Klopp. He has Dortmund flying in the Bundesliga with a very young squad. He's young, intelligant, forward thinking etc. I can't see him leaving Dortmund though. After him I'd have Coyle, Deschamps or Villar Boas.

Keals

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on January 06, 2011, 01:51:25 PM
MON would not be a popular appointment amonst the fans especially match going ones. His style of football is unattractive and I would agree in the main with a lot of Dinny's points.
Now is the time to make a bold appointment. Someone like MON would be a retrograde step.
Having watched a lot of German football my first choice would be Jürgen Klopp. He has Dortmund flying in the Bundesliga with a very young squad. He's young, intelligant, forward thinking etc. I can't see him leaving Dortmund though. After him I'd have Coyle, Deschamps or Villar Boas.

Completely agree. O'Neill would be on a par with Hodgson. Not right for Liverpool FC. Agree with your choice for manager. However Kloop has a contract to 2014, he's the sort of man that would honour it. Throwing 2 more names into the frame, Joachim Loew and Michael Laudrup.

Doogie Browser

No harm GT but 'the style of football' if I followed Liverpool would not be a priority, I would want a manager who could stop the rot, turn things around and get players playing with some belief again - the 2nd Goal last night summed up their attitude perfectly.  Results are what matters to me anyway, are Arsenal fans happy to play nice 1+2 touch football but with nothing to show?  Liverpool need someone to shake the place down, get rid of the deadwood and start playing with some pride, this is a team who should be challenging for major honours but are a long way away currently.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on January 06, 2011, 01:34:47 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 06, 2011, 12:20:36 PM
i know its all speculation, but any players you would like to see coming in in jan?
i think they need a major clearout and a few new faces in, as much to freshen the squad as anything and there seems to be a bad atmospherre around the current squad.

i would like to see someone like gary cahill coming in to play at the back with agger. I would get rid of skertl and keep the greek as back up.
left back needed, but its hard to identify one.
some one to form a partnership with torres and ease the burden on him.
I dont think this needs to be a 40million striker like alot of people are suggesting, someone like elmander or even kevin doyle who you could pick up cheap, might be able to form a decent partner ship with torres and take alot of the physical burden off him up there on his own.

those few players arnt going to turn them into premier league contendders over night, but may help steady the ship a bit.

Dont think Kevin Doyle would be too cheap.
i mean cheap in comparison to the 30million that city are forking out for strikers (or the 14 million that was suggested for carlton cole in the last window)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

lurganblue

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 06, 2011, 01:07:56 PM

- Flogs his best players
- 58 years old
- Has never managed in the Champions League Group Stages
-Tries to position himself as a 'thinker' but never managed to complete his law course

my memory isnt what it was but remind me which manager bought petrov, sidwell, reo-coker, L Young, Shorey, Heskey and Downing if it wasnt MON?

Keals

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 06, 2011, 02:00:47 PM
No harm GT but 'the style of football' if I followed Liverpool would not be a priority, I would want a manager who could stop the rot, turn things around and get players playing with some belief again - the 2nd Goal last night summed up their attitude perfectly.  Results are what matters to me anyway, are Arsenal fans happy to play nice 1+2 touch football but with nothing to show?  Liverpool need someone to shake the place down, get rid of the deadwood and start playing with some pride, this is a team who should be challenging for major honours but are a long way away currently.

Style of football has to be an essential trait in any manager that is considered for the job. For too long we have had to put with negative football from the Ged day's to now. Remember what Liverpool have been known for in the past, pass and move. Not just let Soto bang it up to the front man and feed off it.