The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Tipps

Thought Lucas and Masch were class tonight. Hopefully we'll put a run together now

Minder

Kuyt was being interviewed on LFCTV and said Gomes came up to him after the first penalty and asked him in Dutch "Are you going to put it in the same corner" Kuyt said "I havent decided yet, wait and see"  :D
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bingobus

Thats more like, confidence grew from the back. The Greek and Skrtel looked comfortable, very determined looking. Bar a few long range efforts was the height of it. Less said about the "offside" the better.

Was sure they were going to nick one when them chances went begging.

Ngog had a great cameo.

Still long way to go, lot of slack passing and balls going astray but horses for courses.

Missed Riera this season, bit of natural width and height.

All in all a good night.

gawa316

Quote from: bingobus on January 20, 2010, 10:34:45 PM
Thats more like, confidence grew from the back. The Greek and Skrtel looked comfortable, very determined looking. Bar a few long range efforts was the height of it. Less said about the "offside" the better.

Was sure they were going to nick one when them chances went begging.

Ngog had a great cameo.

Still long way to go, lot of slack passing and balls going astray but horses for courses.

Missed Riera this season, bit of natural width and height.

All in all a good night.

Sums it up pretty well also thought Aquaman played well in the advanced position.

Finally can go to bed with out the feeling gutted ;)

Dakota

Quote from: ross4life on January 20, 2010, 10:10:38 PM
this battle for 4th spot is really exciting for the Dakota ordinary neutral fan

You might know just how exciting it is yourself soon the way United are playing

Gabriel_Hurl

a small step in the right direction

game against Wolves at Molineux up next

Geoff Tipps

QuoteNgog had a great cameo.

Yeah maybe he should be used as an impact sub for the next while. He was v impressive.

GalwayBayBoy

Thank feck for that. After missing those chances I was sure there was another boot in the balls awaiting us near the end. Fair play to the lads who seem to have picked up their game in the absence of Gerrard, Torres and Benny. They had no choice I guess. Need to follow it up with wins in the next couple of games though. Still feel the last CL place will come down to Liverpool and Man City in the end but with no Torres for 6 weeks you'd have to say city have the advantage.

J70

By all accounts a very spirited performance and a deserved three points, with even Degen impressing! They need to put a few such performances together though to make sure its not another false dawn.

I only saw the brief online (and fuzzy!) highlights, so perhaps I missed something: why was Defoe's goal disallowed?

Looked a very lucky break to me. As with United last night and at Stoke on Saturday, you win some, you lose some.

new devil

Just after seeing the disallowed goal J70..didn't see much wrong..was it for a foul on Reina?

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Silky

Relief! Hopefully we can now push on and gain in confidence. The way the top 4 are playing you couldn't rule out us out for the title if we get a run going like last year!  :)

AZOffaly

Liverpool got the luck they have been conspicuously missing for a lot of the season, but for say 70 minutes out of the 90 they put in a good, grafting performance. Nothing nice to look at, as is the norm at this stage and especially without Johnson, Torres, Gerrard and Benayoun. The luck came in the form of the Defoe goal. I can see why it was disallowed.

Basically Defoe was a mile offside when a long ball was played up. Defoe trotted back on side and then immediately turned to put pressure on Kryiakos (sp?). He played the ball back to Reina who had his hand up for the original offside and made a balls of the clearance, at which point the Linesman put up the flag. Extremely lucky that the linesman hadn't considered the play moved on, i.e. advantage over.

However, in my opinion, the minute Defoe turned around and started to pressure Kyriakos it should have been flagged. When they allowed it continue, and then flagged after both Kyriakos and Reina and touched it, I think it was too late at that stage and the goal should have stood.

J OGorman

Quote from: J70 on January 21, 2010, 02:24:09 AM
with even Degen impressing!

dont understand your problem with Degen. i must have missed the many games he has played and did not impress. He is a very fast fullback with enough skill and footballing ability to be versatile enough to play in midfield and not look out of place. nice option to have esp with Dirk not having his best spell out wide

Glad to see Dirk get a couple, though his second touch is usually a tackle, his work rate is something else. And the bottom line is, he is a striker, not a winger. Interesting to see his goal return if Rafa sticks with him up front in Freddie's absence

AZOffaly

Kuyt is the ultimate personification of a Jekyll and Hyde footballer in terms of ability. The way he took his first goal was pure class, the way he held his nerve to hit two perfect spot kicks was brilliant. Some of his play is grand. Then his ridiculous ball retention, or lack of it, the glaring misses and the general 'clunkiness' of his game is just so frustrating. He works like a Trojan, but he is just so unreliable in terms of his quality. I like him, and his effort, I just don't think he is good enough consistently enough.

Havin said that, I agree with you about his positioning. I think he should be tried up front with Torres, and let Maxi Rodriguez or Benayoun plough the right hand furrow. But you know that if Rafa has a full squad, Kuyt will be stuck  on the right, with none of the qualities you need there, and all because they know he will put in a hard shift.