The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

this might sound a bit far fetched, BUT IF they got torres and gerrard back soon, and put a wee run together, would winning it be out of the question ? Now im not a pool fan, and i havent been drinking, but it aint that long ago since arsenal well begind top spot. Maybe the men in white coats are on their way BUT......
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

mountainboii

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 21, 2010, 09:06:22 PM
this might sound a bit far fetched, BUT IF they got torres and gerrard back soon, and put a wee run together, would winning it be out of the question ? Now im not a pool fan, and i havent been drinking, but it aint that long ago since arsenal well begind top spot. Maybe the men in white coats are on their way BUT......

When Chelsea win their game in hand against Hull they'll be 14 points ahead of Liverpool. So yes, Liverpool winning the league would be out of the question.

From the Bunker

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 21, 2010, 06:41:26 PM
The era of Sky Sports and the hype it brings really effects people doesn't it. Its nuts to talk about one or two games deciding matter when there are 16/17 games left. Especially as its possible teams will play 3 games in the final week meaning 9 points of a swing could happen. I said it last night - Liverpool are in a great position considering what has happened. Their main players are out but the form in the last couple of games of the Greek lad (he looks a decent player despite some poor outings early season), Riera returning and the addition of Maxi are plusses. Their rivals for 4th are Villa and City. I'd go along with the bookies slightly favouring City at the moment but I wouldn't put more than a fiver on it. Liverpool challenged all the way for the title last year so are used to keeping it going to the end. There are question marks over Villa (ran out of steam last year) and City (for obvious reasons but have a bigger squad) in this area. Time will tell.

Have to agree with you every game is hyped to be the title decider, 4th place decider, relagation decider etc. Which is ok if it is the end of April or early May. At the end of November Arsenal were 11 points adrift of Chelsea after being thwacked 3-0 and we were told they were out of the race, but now they are top of the Premier League after a run of nine games without defeat. Hype!

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: stew on January 21, 2010, 05:41:46 PMEverton are starting to get players back that have been out for quite some time, they just signed Donovan and he has plenty of pace and class and will give them an extra gear going forward, they are gaining confidence and will be very, very hard to beat in the derby.

If Liverpool beat them they will have gone up in my estimation, I just dont see that happening, injuries are going to hurt Liverpoolin the weeks and months ahead, they are too much to overcome.

He's only there until mid-March

brokencrossbar1

gawa316

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 24, 2010, 11:47:19 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/baseball/8477438.stm

Hicks has money on the way, I wonder what will happen to it :'(

Surprise surprise

Tom Hicks unlikely to plough any of Texas Rangers money into Liverpool

Self-sufficient: a new contract for Torres, the striker, was funded from club income, not by the American owners
Tony Barrett 19 Comments
Recommend? (2) Tom Hicks Jr, the Liverpool co-owner, is close to completing the sale of the Texas Rangers baseball team for a fee in excess of $500 million (about £310 million), but none of the proceeds are expected to be ploughed into the Barclays Premier League club.

A statement released on behalf of the Hicks Sports Group (HSG) at the weekend revealed that an agreement has been reached with a consortium headed by Nolan Ryan, the Rangers president and former pitcher, and Chuck Greenberg, a Pittsburgh attorney. The deal will go through subject to the ratification of Major League Baseball and the 40 financial institutions that hold about $525 million of debt on HSG.

"Together, we have worked exhaustively since last month to attain this agreement," Hicks said. "It's a complex business deal that positions the franchise positively for the future."

"Nolan and I greatly appreciate Tom Hicks's willingness to work beyond the deadline to complete the deal and his support for passing the torch from the Hicks family to our group," Greenberg said. "His actions speak eloquently to his commitment to serve the best interests of Rangers fans and the community."

Related Links
Fans share fears over profiteers
Bruce attacks Liverpool over Jones pursuit
The fans taking a stand on the terraces
Multimedia
COMMENT: Don't believe Gillett's latest claims
The deal, which is expected to be completed by April, is unlikely to have any impact on Hicks's position at Liverpool. The club — led by Christian Purslow, the managing director — are continuing with their quest for new investment as they endeavour to reduce the £237 million of debt built by Hicks and George Gillett, his co-owner, since their takeover in 2007.

Hicks's debts in the United States are such that his creditors will have first call on the revenue produced from the proposed sale of the Rangers, making the need for investment in Liverpool as urgent as ever.

Purslow revealed this month that work on the new stadium will begin if and when investment is secured. He also admitted that he is working towards "diluting" the shareholding of Hicks and Gillett, who bought Liverpool with money borrowed from the Royal Bank of Scotland and who have increased the club's exposure to debt rather than their own financial commitment.

Late last year Gillett was also involved in a substantial sale when he relinquished ownership of the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team for a reported C$550 million (about £323 million), but has not invested that money in Liverpool.

In light of their failure to plough in money — the most recent round of contract extensions for some of the club's biggest stars, including Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, was funded from the club's earnings, not contributions from the owners — the duo's popularity levels are at an all-time low with supporters' groups.

blewuporstuffed

I know its only a rumour, but what do any of you think of liverpool going for Kynwne Jones?
Personally, i think the 12million mentioned is a bit  OTT (althoughits hard to see where they would get that kind of money at the min anyway)
surely there is better value to be had at the minute to provide cover for torres
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 25, 2010, 11:25:42 AM
I know its only a rumour, but what do any of you think of liverpool going for Kynwne Jones?
Personally, i think the 12million mentioned is a bit  OTT (althoughits hard to see where they would get that kind of money at the min anyway)
surely there is better value to be had at the minute to provide cover for torres

Thought he looked a real player last season. Big and strong but able to take his chances too. Apparently the Sunderland fans reckon he's a bit lazy though and has been prone to strolling through games this season. Bit like Heskey in that he probably needs a rocket up his arse to get him to perform to his best.

EC Unique

QuoteLiverpool captain Steven Gerrard looks set to be available for Tuesday's Premier League clash with Wolves.

The midfielder suffered a hamstring problem in the FA Cup third round replay defeat to Reading earlier this month and was ruled out for a fortnight.

Gerrard set his sights on a return to action at Molineux and was back in training over the weekend.

Manager Rafa Benitez is hopeful his talismanic skipper will be fit but will wait until just before kick-off before making a final decision.

"He was training on Saturday and then a full training session on Sunday, and today was the same," Benitez told the club's official website.

"Normally he's someone who, if available, can play. We'll decide later but I think he can be available. We'll decide tomorrow."

Liverpool missed Gerrard during their 1-1 draw with Stoke but responded well to beat Tottenham 2-0 at home last week to move back to within one point of fourth-placed Spurs.

bingobus

Be nice to have Gerard back, add a bit of creativity and drive in midfield/up front.

Hope he's not rushed back and is 100% before he's out. Important to win tomorrow night and he may be needed, Wolves will fancy to fustrate liverpool again and nick a goal or two of their own.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteLIVERPOOL are close to signing Standard Liege striker Milan Jovanovic at the end of the season.

The Anfield outfit have offered the 28-year-old, who is out of contract in the summer, a three-year deal.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has targeted the Serbia international as he looks to bolster his strike-force for next season.

Jovanovic is being tracked by a number of leading European clubs including Italian giants AC Milan.

Speaking earlier this month, the forward was non-committal over his future plans, and said: "News that I have already said yes to AC Milan is not correct. I am still waiting, I haven't decided.

"AC Milan are not the only club interested in me. There is also Liverpool and another big European club. I repeat – my options are still very open."

However, Liverpool are confident they have done enough to persuade Jovanovic to move to Anfield.

Jovanovic is a regular for the Serbia national team and is expected to play a major role for his country in this summer's World Cup finals

Goal record of 1 in 2 in Belgium and scored 5 goals for Serbia en route to them qualifying for WC 2010

blewuporstuffed

they really need someone now, in january but
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

bingobus

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 26, 2010, 02:19:24 PM
QuoteLIVERPOOL are close to signing Standard Liege striker Milan Jovanovic at the end of the season.

Goal record of 1 in 2 in Belgium and scored 5 goals for Serbia en route to them qualifying for WC 2010

Bit of a strange one this. At 28 he's a bit long in the tooth to be finally coming under the radar of bigger clubs and prior to doing the business in Belgium he was never noted. The belgium league is hardly a great barometer - the big hitters in the dutch league have never really set the place alight when they moved to the EPL.

I suppose the "free" transfer is the key element. I'd just fear another ponytailed "asassin" arriving on a free.

Word is one change tonight from the team that started V Spurs - Gerard in for Aquaman.

Geoff Tipps

QuoteWord is one change tonight from the team that started V Spurs - Gerard in for Aquaman.

Would rather he came in on the right for Degen. He hasn't been playing bad but would like Aqua to get some football under his belt

muppet

Quote from: bingobus on January 26, 2010, 02:30:27 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 26, 2010, 02:19:24 PM

Bit of a strange one this. At 28 he's a bit long in the tooth to be finally coming under the radar of bigger clubs and prior to doing the business in Belgium he was never noted. The belgium league is hardly a great barometer - the big hitters in the dutch league have never really set the place alight when they moved to the EPL.

I suppose the "free" transfer is the key element. I'd just fear another ponytailed "asassin" arriving on a free.

Word is one change tonight from the team that started V Spurs - Gerard in for Aquaman.

Nistelrooy, RVP. Bergkamp was Dutch league before Inter, as was Van Basten before Milan. 
MWWSI 2017