Mayo v Galway - Connacht Final 13/07/08 14:00 McHale Park, Castlebar

Started by Barney, June 23, 2008, 08:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: rosnarun on July 04, 2008, 02:53:40 PM
A
QuoteRapidly Aging
PJ up front .
unless there is major changes on the galway team most of their best player will be on the bench as in the game against leitrim. I worry for them

Fair play to ya man, it'll be nice to see how this thread works out with a few nice digs being thrown here and there.
I'm of the opinion that Mayo will win this simply due to their midfield superiority but as GBB has said it's heartening to see you write us off given your levels of soothsaying for the Galway-Mayo match last year!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 04, 2008, 06:02:38 PM
A
QuoteRapidly Aging
PJ up front .
unless there is major changes on the galway team most of their best player will be on the bench as in the game against leitrim. I worry for them

Fair play to ya man, it'll be nice to see how this thread works out with a few nice digs being thrown here and there.
I'm of the opinion that Mayo will win this simply due to their midfield superiority but as GBB has said it's heartening to see you write us off given your levels of soothsaying for the Galway-Mayo match last year!

Ah yea, but last year was last year after all. Galway will not be 10 points worse off than Mayo but I have a slight sneaking feeling that we can pull this one off!!!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 24, 2008, 09:25:33 PM
My early feeling, even coming out of the Sligo match is that Galway will do enough to win this one.

You've changed your tune. ;D

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Apparently we beat a strong Fermanagh side on Tuesday night in Longford. Dillon was back. Anybody know more?

corran ard

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 04, 2008, 07:46:20 AM
I wonder will there be many empty seats in Pairc Mhic Eil on Sunday week? Doesn't seem to be as much excitement about a Connacht final as there would have been in recent years for what I'm hearing. And that's probably the case for both counties.

I suppose in other years both counties would have had ambitions of making serious inroads towards an All-Ireland final. This year a Connacht title would appear to be the height of both counties ambitions. Can we conclude therefore that the fans of both counties aren't really too pushed about a provincial title judging by the lack of hype ahead of Sunday week?

If there was serious prospects of one or other of them making a real dent in the championship I think it would be a different story.

Certainly I would have taken a Connacht title at the start of the year because I didn't and don't see a whole lot more in offer but I'm finding it hard to get excited about the game. Hopefully that'll change

corran ard

I was going to say that being a Galway fan from London that I will save my money for the hurlers this summer. Mayo fans only have one team to follow. If McHale Park is half full next week I can understand. Following two teams can be very expensive - especially given the prices the Connacht council charge.
Win or lose, there's another day for both of us. The hurlers have no second chance now.
I'm still paying back the interest on 2001. Oh happy days.

rosnarun

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 04, 2008, 06:02:38 PM
A
QuoteRapidly Aging
PJ up front .

yes but the problem is ill be much too sensitive to say ' i told you so'  on the Monday. it would be beneath me so i like to get all my digs in early
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Barney

Right lads, just back from the holidays, renewed and ready to go next Sunday.

With Kerry being beaten the Connacht/Munster half of the draw has opened up with the possibility that the Kingdom could end up on the other side with the Dubs. That being the case there is a huge amount to play for next Sunday. The winners may have a realistic chance of getting to September without being any great shakes.

I think Dillon will come in for Gardiner and that will be the only change.

When was the last time Mayo and Galway drew - suprising that there hasn't been one for a long time considering many of the games are so close. There is one due in the championship and I feel it will be next Sunday. When is the replay on?

Bod Mor

Quote from: Barney on July 07, 2008, 08:17:57 AM
Right lads, just back from the holidays, renewed and ready to go next Sunday.

With Kerry being beaten the Connacht/Munster half of the draw has opened up with the possibility that the Kingdom could end up on the other side with the Dubs. That being the case there is a huge amount to play for next Sunday. The winners may have a realistic chance of getting to September without being any great shakes.

I think Dillon will come in for Gardiner and that will be the only change.

When was the last time Mayo and Galway drew - suprising that there hasn't been one for a long time considering many of the games are so close. There is one due in the championship and I feel it will be next Sunday. When is the replay on?

It's on Saturday week in Hyde park at 2PM. Tickets are available as of today. Lads don't bother turning up in Castlebar on Sunday at all  :P
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Galforever

QuoteThe winners may have a realistic chance of getting to September without being any great shakes.

Not neccessarily a good thing.

QuoteWhen was the last time Mayo and Galway drew - suprising that there hasn't been one for a long time considering many of the games are so close. There is one due in the championship and I feel it will be next Sunday. When is the replay on?

I think it was 1991, They drew in Tuam & Mayo won the replay well in Castlebar. Good match in Tuam though

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Galforever on July 07, 2008, 10:07:51 AM
QuoteThe winners may have a realistic chance of getting to September without being any great shakes.

QuoteWhen was the last time Mayo and Galway drew - suprising that there hasn't been one for a long time considering many of the games are so close. There is one due in the championship and I feel it will be next Sunday. When is the replay on?

I think it was 1991, They drew in Tuam & Mayo won the replay well in Castlebar. Good match in Tuam though
Think you right Gal.  Gay McManus punched the ball to the net in the dying minutes as far as I can remember.  Got hammered in the replay though in Castlebar  :-\

Galforever

QuoteThink you right Gal.  Gay McManus punched the ball to the net in the dying minutes as far as I can remember.  Got hammered in the replay though in Castlebar 

Was Gay McManus still playing in 91???? I dont remeber the team from that year to be honest, just remeber that the drawn match was a sunny day in Tuam & that it was an exciting affair. The replay was a very dreary day in Castlebar

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Galforever on July 07, 2008, 10:07:51 AM

I'd agree with that, but as long as the other team weren't Kerry I think both Mayo and Galway would have a decent chance if they made it to September, the chasing pack are very close in potential as far as I'm concerned.
I see the Galway lads have very little faith in your midfield and you're predicting a Mayo win based on that. I think there is a bit of kidology at play here because I can't remember the last time we wiped ye out at midfield.
On paper we look to have the strongest pairing but Coleman always plays well against us and with the likes of Matthew Clancy there to win breaking ball I am not expecting us to completely dominate that area. I think we'll shade it but Galway won't be wiped out there. Our forwards will probably need more ball then the Galway forwards so it is vital we do win midfield,  my main worry would be that we won't dominate that sector by enough.

Tubberman

Think the years are mixed up there. I'm nearly sure it was '89 that Gay McManus equalised with the fisted goal. Mayo won the replay in Castlebar easily and went onto the All-Ireland final.
I think the last draw was '92 in Tuam on a wet day. Liam McHale scored a bullet of a goal into the top corner for Mayo. Fergal O'Neill got a goal for Galway and Ja Fallon equalised in injury time. Mayo went on and won that replay as well. Got to All-Ireland semi which they lost in a terrible game to Donegal
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."