Mayo v Galway - Connacht Final 13/07/08 14:00 McHale Park, Castlebar

Started by Barney, June 23, 2008, 08:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 01, 2008, 02:04:41 PM
To the best of my knowledge, "heron choker" is a corruption of "herring choker." Galway diction is notoriously poor, as we all know, and the misunderstanding is easy to understand. Herring choker, then, comes from Galway's strong fishing tradition, especially around the Claddagh area of the city itself, I believe. As Moysider rightly points out, herons don't make for good snacking, whereas a plate of herring is a treat for any sensible man, woman or child.

Why one would choke them instead of battering them on the noggin with a stout stick probably has more to do with poetic license than anything. Heron choker is pleasingly derogatory without being downright insulting, whereas heron batterers would imbue na Gaillimhí with a worrying air of menace that would add to their other threats rather than lessen them. My two cents, anyway.  :D

My understanding is that it's from the Claddagh area alright. Like many Galway people I've been called plenty worse but the only response to a Mayoman exclaiming "That's the stuff for the heron chokers" (as a loud Mayoman in my vicinity delighted in saying during closing stages of the league semi final of last year when it was obvious Mayo had won the day) is "better to be a heron choker than an all ireland choker", it put a fair stop to his gallop that day.

Tatler Jack

Quoteis "better to be a heron choker than an all ireland choker", it put a fair stop to his gallop that day.

Did not think ye Galwaymen could be that cruel :D

IolarCoisCuain

They're pure savage Tatler I'm afraid.

We were talking earlier about the 1998 game. I remember being greeted by a chorus of "stand up if you hate Mayo" - they love disco in Galway, you know - while we were making our way to our seats.

"I wonder if their mothers know they chant that?" I asked my company.

"It was from their mothers they learned it," the company sagely replied.

With regard to An Fhairce's point, the interesting thing about county nicknames is that they're invariably more affectionate than aggressive. They belong to the Mick Dunne/Brian Carthy school, if you get me - "And the model county go in two points down to the lilywhites at half-time here in Newbridge," sort of thing. The Rosserini, for instance, take no small pride in being named the Sheepstealers, as their infamous messageboard, much mourned, gave testament.

Tatler Jack

QuoteRosserini, for instance, take no small pride in being named the Sheepstealers, as their infamous messageboard, much mourned, gave testament

Yes sheepstealers.com was legendary - some great stuff on it. We have a good replacement though - stolensheep.tk
The odd visitor  from west of us drops in from time to time - Mickey51 being the most regular (and annoying  ;)

Rossfan

And dont forget there will be a good scatter of us sheepmen and women going to Castlebar for the Minor Final.
We'll fill the sates left empty be the stay at home HCs  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Galway manager Liam Sammon has received some mixed news regarding injuries ahead of Sunday week's Connacht SFC final against Mayo.

While long-serving wing back Declan Meehan has emerged as a major doubt for the McHale Park showdown, injury-stricken midfielder Joe Bergin is well ahead of schedule in his recovery from a ruptured Achilles tendon sustained two months ago, and is set to return to action within the next month.

The Connacht final will come too soon for the big Mountbellew man, but he has resumed light training and if Galway are still involved in the championship in August, he could yet play a vital role.

Former Player of the Year Meehan is facing a race against time to be fit for the Mayo game after he pulled a hamstring last weekend. Kieran Fitzgerald, who missed the Leitrim game through injury, is expected to return while Niall Coyne and Diarmuid Blake are also fit again after recovering from injury

RedandGreenSniper

I wonder will there be many empty seats in Pairc Mhic Eil on Sunday week? Doesn't seem to be as much excitement about a Connacht final as there would have been in recent years for what I'm hearing. And that's probably the case for both counties.

I suppose in other years both counties would have had ambitions of making serious inroads towards an All-Ireland final. This year a Connacht title would appear to be the height of both counties ambitions. Can we conclude therefore that the fans of both counties aren't really too pushed about a provincial title judging by the lack of hype ahead of Sunday week?

If there was serious prospects of one or other of them making a real dent in the championship I think it would be a different story.

Certainly I would have taken a Connacht title at the start of the year because I didn't and don't see a whole lot more in offer but I'm finding it hard to get excited about the game. Hopefully that'll change
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rosnarun

dont worry about it sniper. it a sign of aging or else clinical depression.  we have become a self protecting lot in mayo over the lastr decade or so and want to see true sign of greatness but for we even pretend wer'e pushed. The wide eyed innocence  of '96 is well gone. mainly due to those kerry bastards.
But bating galway is still bating galway even if we were the worst 2 teams in the country and in a cold analsys   I cant see Galway being within 10 points of us in castlebar.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: rosnarun on July 04, 2008, 10:10:17 AM
dont worry about it sniper. it a sign of aging or else clinical depression.  we have become a self protecting lot in mayo over the lastr decade or so and want to see true sign of greatness but for we even pretend wer'e pushed. The wide eyed innocence  of '96 is well gone. mainly due to those kerry b**tards.
But bating galway is still bating galway even if we were the worst 2 teams in the country and in a cold analsys   I cant see Galway being within 10 points of us in castlebar.
Your probably correct there in your analysis Ros.  We have no midfield, the backs are playing shite and only PJ up front doing the business these days.  Ye will stroll this one, no doubt  ;)

Uladh

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Uladh

moysider

Mayo/ Galway clashes were always big news even in the days when either team had little prospect of doing anything. There is little chance of the AI winner coming from the pair this year but its as good a chance as coming from anywhere else outside Kerry. When you consider that Mayo have nt won in well over half a century there must have been something else drawing crowds to matches apart from a forlorn hope of winning the big pot.
Galway dont get too excited in recent years anyway. The back door means the clash has nt that air of finality it used to have with the winning supporters euphoric and the defeated desolate. A lot of  expectation in Mayo has been deliberately dampened as well. Whether its a good thing or not we ll soon know. The Kerry hammerings have had an effect of course. This team does nt have as many crowd pleasers either as we would have been used to. Add in the absence of a figure like Willie THE SHOE who would have everything buzzing for weeks and it does nt feel like the old days at all.

rosnarun

A
QuoteRapidly Aging
PJ up front .
unless there is major changes on the galway team most of their best player will be on the bench as in the game against leitrim. I worry for them
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: rosnarun on July 04, 2008, 02:53:40 PM
A
QuoteRapidly Aging
PJ up front .
unless there is major changes on the galway team most of their best player will be on the bench as in the game against leitrim. I worry for them

Don't worry for us rosnarun. With your history with predictions I'll be sleeping a little bit easier tonight. ;D