Mayo v Galway - Connacht Final 13/07/08 14:00 McHale Park, Castlebar

Started by Barney, June 23, 2008, 08:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Tubberman on July 07, 2008, 10:42:51 AM
Think the years are mixed up there. I'm nearly sure it was '89 that Gay McManus equalised with the fisted goal. Mayo won the replay in Castlebar easily and went onto the All-Ireland final.
I think the last draw was '92 in Tuam on a wet day. Liam McHale scored a bullet of a goal into the top corner for Mayo. Fergal O'Neill got a goal for Galway and Ja Fallon equalised in injury time. Mayo went on and won that replay as well. Got to All-Ireland semi which they lost in a terrible game to Donegal
You could be right with 89 Tubberman.  We were so poor back then that the my bad memories have all merged at this stage!   
The 92 semi was shocking in fairness.  Ye had a Galwayman playing CHB and he got the run-around from Martin McHugh.  Hard to believe that the same Donegal team turned over the Dubs in that years final.  Jaysus, connacht football was in a dark place in those days...............................

kevmy

Quote from: Barney on July 07, 2008, 08:17:57 AM
Right lads, just back from the holidays, renewed and ready to go next Sunday.

With Kerry being beaten the Connacht/Munster half of the draw has opened up with the possibility that the Kingdom could end up on the other side with the Dubs. That being the case there is a huge amount to play for next Sunday. The winners may have a realistic chance of getting to September without being any great shakes.

I think Dillon will come in for Gardiner and that will be the only change.

When was the last time Mayo and Galway drew - suprising that there hasn't been one for a long time considering many of the games are so close. There is one due in the championship and I feel it will be next Sunday. When is the replay on?

Agree with you here. One change is all I expect. While Andy Moran didn't set the world alight against Sligo he has no ready replacement and enjoyed a good league which Peader didn't. No point in messin with the backs until Howley returns what we have now is as good as anything else we could put out.

It could be a draw but I won't be letting P. Power hold onto my money about that one. I've a sneaky feeling we'll pull this one out

mannix

if Mayo win on sunday who will they play then, if they lose what happens?

western exile

The winners on Sunday go into the AI quarter final.  They will play one of the winners of Round 3 of the qualifiers (open draw).
The losers on Sunday will go into Round 3 of the qualifiers, where if they win there, they would play a provincial champion (open draw).

It is possible that there could be another Mayo v. Galway game this year  ;D

RedandGreenSniper

The Kerry result is a great fillip for both teams I think.
Neither team would be able for Kerry in an All-Ireland semi-final (the outcome if Connacht champs and Kerry as Munster champs won their quarter-finals).
However now that Kerry have lost they could end up having to beat Derry, Dublin and Tyrone before they even got to a final, if the draws went against them.
I've said it before, it'll be a fierce open championship if Kerry fall and while neither Mayo and Galway would be favourites by any manner of means, they might give September a sly eye if their form picks up.
We might have more at stake on Sunday than we thought this time last week . . .

Also is Howley in the shake-up to start? And while Dillon seems set to come in for Gardiner, will it be him or Harte on the 40? Harte appeared to be excellent there against Sligo while Dillon has been primed for chf all year. Tough call there in fairness to O'Mahony
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

western exile

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 07, 2008, 12:18:19 PM
Neither team would be able for Kerry in an All-Ireland semi-final (the outcome if Connacht champs and Kerry as Munster champs won their quarter-finals).
However now that Kerry have lost they could end up having to beat Derry, Dublin and Tyrone before they even got to a final, if the draws went against them.I've said it before, it'll be a fierce open championship if Kerry fall and while neither Mayo and Galway would be favourites by any manner of means, they might give September a sly eye if their form picks up.

Also is Howley in the shake-up to start? And while Dillon seems set to come in for Gardiner, will it be him or Harte on the 40? Harte appeared to be excellent there against Sligo while Dillon has been primed for chf all year. Tough call there in fairness to O'Mahony
Not quite true.  Kerry (as provincal runners up) will only have to play 1 (one) qualifer game (in round 3) to get to the quarter final.

Galforever

QuoteThe Kerry result is a great fillip for both teams I think.
However now that Kerry have lost they could end up having to beat Derry, Dublin and Tyrone before they even got to a final, if the draws went against them.
I've said it before, it'll be a fierce open championship if Kerry fall and while neither Mayo and Galway would be favourites by any manner of means, they might give September a sly eye if their form picks up.

This is crazy talk! Kerry being out makes no difference. If ya are going to win an all ireland, you need to beat them at some stage, whats the point of beating a load of average teams on one side of the draw if you are just going to come unstuck in the final. Mayo people --- Do you not remember 2004 & 2006? Now ye want a repeat???

If anything, now is the time to play Kerry while both Marc O'Sé & Paul Galvin are out and they are having doubts about their ability.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Galforever on July 07, 2008, 12:32:56 PM
QuoteThe Kerry result is a great fillip for both teams I think.

This is crazy talk! Kerry being out makes no difference. If ya are going to win an all ireland, you need to beat them at some stage, whats the point of beating a load of average teams on one side of the draw if you are just going to come unstuck in the final. Mayo people --- Do you not remember 2004 & 2006? Now ye want a repeat???

If anything, now is the time to play Kerry while both Marc O'Sé & Paul Galvin are out and they are having doubts about their ability.

You misunderstand me. Of course I remember 04 and 06, how could I not? That makes me certain of one thing - Mayo WILL not win the All-Ireland if they have to beat Kerry, in my opinion. Their defeat the last day opens the possibility of them being put on the other side of the draw and therefore a small bit more likely that they may lose. I think Tyrone, Dublin and maybe Derry are the only teams capable of beating them. But that's not to say that any of those three would be then shoo-ins for the All-Ireland.
Being honest I would be surprised if Mayo won the All-Ireland this year (or Galway for that matter). But they have a better chance if someone else can trip up Kerry. I hope that makes sense

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: western exile on July 07, 2008, 12:30:51 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 07, 2008, 12:18:19 PM
However now that Kerry have lost they could end up having to beat Derry, Dublin and Tyrone before they even got to a final, if the draws went against them.I've said it before, it'll be a fierce open championship if Kerry fall and while neither Mayo and Galway would be favourites by any manner of means, they might give September a sly eye if their form picks up.

Not quite true.  Kerry (as provincal runners up) will only have to play 1 (one) qualifer game (in round 3) to get to the quarter final.

Maybe I'm wrong but is it not possible that Kerry can draw, lets say Derry, in the final qualifier round, then draw a provincial champion (Dublin) in the quarter-finals and then Tyrone (if they emerge that far) in a semi-final?

OirthearMhaigheo

I hear what you're saying R&G but I would have to agree with Galforever that we would be better off meeting Kerry earlier. Ideally we wouldn't have to meet them at all but if we were to beat them it would be more likely in a QF or SF. Our bad run has to end against them sometime (but probably not in a final!).
I think Kerry will recover from this loss and there is another kick in them yet, I feel our only chance of beating them if we meet is with the Connacht title in our pocket given our record so far in the qualifiers. That gives us a massive incentive next Sunday.

Galforever

QuoteMaybe I'm wrong but is it not possible that Kerry can draw, lets say Derry, in the final qualifier round, then draw a provincial champion (Dublin) in the quarter-finals and then Tyrone (if they emerge that far) in a semi-final?

Thats what I thought as well..

QuoteYou misunderstand me. Of course I remember 04 and 06, how could I not? That makes me certain of one thing - Mayo WILL not win the All-Ireland if they have to beat Kerry, in my opinion. Their defeat the last day opens the possibility of them being put on the other side of the draw and therefore a small bit more likely that they may lose. I think Tyrone, Dublin and maybe Derry are the only teams capable of beating them. But that's not to say that any of those three would be then shoo-ins for the All-Ireland.
Being honest I would be surprised if Mayo won the All-Ireland this year (or Galway for that matter). But they have a better chance if someone else can trip up Kerry. I hope that makes sense

??? ??? ???

Whats the point of winning an all-ireland if you dont beat the best teams on the way to doing so. That is the purpose of winning it, not getting a handy run along the way!

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Galforever on July 07, 2008, 02:02:50 PM
QuoteMaybe I'm wrong but is it not possible that Kerry can draw, lets say Derry, in the final qualifier round, then draw a provincial champion (Dublin) in the quarter-finals and then Tyrone (if they emerge that far) in a semi-final?

Thats what I thought as well..

QuoteYou misunderstand me. Of course I remember 04 and 06, how could I not? That makes me certain of one thing - Mayo WILL not win the All-Ireland if they have to beat Kerry, in my opinion. Their defeat the last day opens the possibility of them being put on the other side of the draw and therefore a small bit more likely that they may lose. I think Tyrone, Dublin and maybe Derry are the only teams capable of beating them. But that's not to say that any of those three would be then shoo-ins for the All-Ireland.

??? ??? ???

Whats the point of winning an all-ireland if you dont beat the best teams on the way to doing so. That is the purpose of winning it, not getting a handy run along the way!

did it take away from your 1998 win?