Ballinascreen/Draperstown

Started by Feckitt, March 18, 2008, 04:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Just heard this one over the weekend, that Catholics call the town Ballinascreen and Protestants call it Draperstown, basicly the same as the Derry/Londonderry thing.  And that this is quite common in Derry, Tyrone, Donegal and Fermanagh.  Any truth in this?, and are there any other examples

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Hoof Hearted

i think toome/toomebridge is another example
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

lynchbhoy

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

take_yer_points

Magheralin/Maralin (near Lurgan).

Pronounced the same way I think but its spelt a different way by both sides.

passedit

Lawrencetown (P)/Laurencetown(C)

County Down (Tullylish)
Don't Panic

imtommygunn

would there be such a thing as a protestant in toome/toomebridge?

tyrone86

5 Sams

Cullaville (6 Counties)
Culloville (Free State)
The Aristocrat Years

Bogball XV

I gotta confess, I never knew this.  I always thought that the town itself was known as Draperstown, but the pitch and club were Ballinascreen (although really in Straw of course) - you know like Glen and Maghera. 
You learn something new every day lads....

Estimator

Quote from: Feckitt on March 18, 2008, 04:25:10 PM
Just heard this one over the weekend, that Catholics call the town Ballinascreen and Protestants call it Draperstown, basicly the same as the Derry/Londonderry thing.  And that this is quite common in Derry, Tyrone, Donegal and Fermanagh.  Any truth in this?, and are there any other examples

I wouldn't say that this was 100% correct.  Otherwise the soccer team in the town would be Ballinascreen Celtic! If I was asked where I live, I would probably reply Ballinascreen, but that would be in reference to the entire parish not the town.

IMO people who are affiliated with the GAA club would say that they live in Ballinascreen, people who are not would say Draperstown!

Screenexile, Screenmachine & tbrick18 may have differing thoughts.
Ulster League Champions 2009

youbetterbelieveit

Ya I wuld have said the same as Estimator, if referring the the town is was Draperstown, but when referring to parish you say Ballinascreen. It is definintely not exlcusive C/P view on what to call it. While with Maghera is the town and Glen is just an area of the parish.

southderryman

aye its the town/parish thing. dont think there was much need til start a thread over this, seems some people need to relate everything to religion/politics. if ye wanna go on like that then ye could name loads of places like that.

lavey/gulladuff, banagher/feeney, glen/maghera, etc, etc.

Orior

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 18, 2008, 05:28:03 PM
Cullaville (6 Counties)
Culloville (Free State)

That's two different villages mucker. They just happen to be side by side.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians