Ballinascreen/Draperstown

Started by Feckitt, March 18, 2008, 04:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Anyone recall the battle of Ballinascreen when Down and Derry participated in one of the most foul ridden ,violent games ever.

muppet

Quote from: Pangurban on March 18, 2008, 11:47:18 PM
Anyone recall the battle of Ballinascreen when Down and Derry participated in one of the most foul ridden ,violent games ever.

Drici would remember. :'( :'(
MWWSI 2017

Goats Do Shave

Hardy

wherefromreferee?

What year?  I have some memory of Lavey (Gulladuff!) and some team from Cork (could be wrong?) hammering absolute lumps out of eachother in the early 90's though in Ballinascreen/Straw/St Colms/Draperstown.
In your Endo!

nrico2006

QuoteMagheralin/Maralin (near Lurgan).

Pronounced the same way I think but its spelt a different way by both sides.

I thought it was called Magheralin and pronounced more like Maralin until I saw a van with the name 'maralin' on it the other day, and then I thought that it was put on the van incorrectly by some plonker.

As for Ballinascreen, I always thought that was the parish and Draperstown was the town just. 

Donemana/Dunamanagh - still pronounced the same way, unless someone wants to start a thread on places which have several ways of being spelt.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

unforgiven

lets not get started on moneyneenagh

lynchbhoy

Quote from: southderryman on March 18, 2008, 11:11:14 PM
aye its the town/parish thing. dont think there was much need til start a thread over this, seems some people need to relate everything to religion/politics. if ye wanna go on like that then ye could name loads of places like that.

lavey/gulladuff, banagher/feeney, glen/maghera, etc, etc.

banagher/feeney have no political argument or connoctations

youbetterbelieveit

Would you not say moneyneeny or moneyneena!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on March 19, 2008, 09:01:58 AM

What year?  I have some memory of Lavey (Gulladuff!) and some team from Cork (could be wrong?) hammering absolute lumps out of eachother in the early 90's though in Ballinascreen/Straw/St Colms/Draperstown.
Skibereen I think - Lavey were losing, so adopted their age old tactic of getting a big row going!!  They'd done it in their previous game against Tirconnail Gaels of London too.
I always thought the battle of Ballinascreen was Derry v Tyrone in '85, when the ref was attacked by the tyronies!!

Estimator

Quote from: Bogball XV on March 19, 2008, 10:12:12 AM

Skibereen I think - Lavey were losing, so adopted their age old tactic of getting a big row going!!  They'd done it in their previous game against Tirconnail Gaels of London too.
I always thought the battle of Ballinascreen was Derry v Tyrone in '85, when the ref was attacked by the tyronies!!

It was O'Donovan Rossa Skibbereen.To the best of my knowledge, they hammered Lavey in the fight and on the scoreboard.

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on March 19, 2008, 09:58:41 AM
Would you not say moneyneeny or moneyneena!!

The road signs and maps say moneyneeny, everyone pronounces moneyneena
Ulster League Champions 2009

nifan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 19, 2008, 09:52:43 AM
Quote from: southderryman on March 18, 2008, 11:11:14 PM
aye its the town/parish thing. dont think there was much need til start a thread over this, seems some people need to relate everything to religion/politics. if ye wanna go on like that then ye could name loads of places like that.

lavey/gulladuff, banagher/feeney, glen/maghera, etc, etc.

banagher/feeney have no political argument or connoctations

Agreed - my ma is from feeney

screenexile

Yeah as far as I would care I would say I'm from Ballinascreen and then would have to clarify that with most people and say I'm from Draperstown. I know Catholics who call it Draperstown and Protestants who say they're from the Screen but really they're interchangeable for most.

Technically Draperstown is the town while Ballinascreen incorporates Draperstown, the Sixtowns, Straw and Moneyneenagh.

Best one I saw though was a flyer through the letterbox from the Church of Ireland representing the 'Parish of Ballynascreen'! I dunno!

As for Moneyneena/neenagh/neaney/nyeena... who cares? They're only a crowd of munchies anyway! :D :D :D :D

saffron sam2

Quote from: Estimator on March 19, 2008, 10:29:41 AM

It was O'Donovan Rossa Skibbereen.To the best of my knowledge, they hammered Lavey in the fight and on the scoreboard.

The clue is in the emboldened bit from Pangurban's original question. The original Battle of Ballinascreen took place in 1968 between Down and Derry. My next door neighbour's father played in it for Down.

All other battles mentioned above were mere skirmishes.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

johnneycool

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 19, 2008, 11:14:30 AM
Quote from: Estimator on March 19, 2008, 10:29:41 AM

The clue is in the emboldened bit from Pangurban's original question. The original Battle of Ballinascreen took place in 1968 between Down and Derry. My next door neighbour's father played in it for Down.

All other battles mentioned above were mere skirmishes.

I was once at a wedding where a lad from the Ards married a girl from Ballinascreen. Her uncle welcomed the Down contigent for tea/sandwhiches in the club house and mentioned the 'battle of Ballinscreen' which he says he took part in. I must say that was the first I heard of it but me da who's of an older vintage had heard of it