Dublin v's Monaghan

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, March 03, 2008, 12:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

QuoteTickets for this game will be available from the competing Counties only. If you are a member of a club in either County you will be able to buy from your Club.

Just got this in an email from GAA HQ.  Anyone with a spare, or able to get one, please drop me a PM.  I bought the ticket package for the home games, but assumed this one would be handy enough to pay in at the gate.

his holiness nb

Gnevin, while Quinn might make an argument for a place, saying he was top scorer in certain seasons is irrelevant. how many handy frees were amongst those scores?

He wont get a sniff of the frees this year. That said, he does seem to be improving from play.

But I wouldnt drop anyone off that team to accomodate him.

Impact sub.
Ask me holy bollix

donelli

Quote from: tayto on March 05, 2008, 11:13:12 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 04, 2008, 09:39:04 PM
A number of posts on hoganstand.com saying that Monaghan are being allocated 1,500 tickets to be distributed through clubs with none on general sale...... not sure how reliable that is (hope it's not - i'm officially on the hunt for a ticket!)

There was a couple of hundred monaghan fans, at most, in Parnell Park last time we played. Why the sudden need for 1500 tickets?

haha
quite true actually. but i recall that i took a mate who is a dublin 'fan' to that game. Just as well, as he would have had bother finding it- he never knew where  parnell park was!!!!
you get this with every county. so enough of your smart comments  ;)

I've only been in parnell park twice, both times when monaghan played dublin in the league (think around '98 & '06). Paid at the gate the first game and just picked up a ticket outside for the '06 game. On both occasions Monaghan won having played very well (in fact probably their best performances of the respective years.)
Hoping for a win again this time around but for a better summers therafter too!!!
btw: i'll enquire of the local club for tickets tomarrow night. If none are available, i'll take my chances on getting them outside Parnell park again.

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on March 05, 2008, 01:31:35 PM
Gnevin, while Quinn might make an argument for a place, saying he was top scorer in certain seasons is irrelevant. how many handy frees were amongst those scores?

He wont get a sniff of the frees this year. That said, he does seem to be improving from play.

But I wouldnt drop anyone off that team to accomodate him.

Impact sub.
No idea 1-29 in 2005 ,3-14 in 2006 , i don't recall any peno's( in 06) did we really get 43  points from frees in 05 and 06? Plus Keaney gets a few frees .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

DUBSFORSAM1

If it is all ticket and anyone has any spares can you please let me know as not flying in until Friday night before the game...

his holiness nb

God bless the parnell pass  ;D
Ask me holy bollix

INDIANA

so DSFM we're going with the same full back line as last year? God help us. And anyone who wants to disregard what i've said just watch repeats of the o byrne cup final - or last saturday eveing and other episodes over the years. We won't win the big one unless we find some sticky corner backs. All our defenders are very good footballers- but maybe too good. We need to find at least one player for the full back line- who cares about nothing else except defending. Also jayo hasn't the gas for 70 mins- he should be the impact sub. Makes sense to bring someone with pace off the bench- that's what worries defenders in the last 15 mins.

Gnevin

Quote from: INDIANA link=topic=6984.msg#msg date=
so DSFM we're going with the same full back line as last year? God help us. And anyone who wants to disregard what i've said just watch repeats of the o byrne cup final - or last saturday eveing and other episodes over the years. We won't win the big one unless we find some sticky corner backs. All our defenders are very good footballers- but maybe too good. We need to find at least one player for the full back line- who cares about nothing else except defending. Also jayo hasn't the gas for 70 mins- he should be the impact sub. Makes sense to bring someone with pace off the bench- that's what worries defenders in the last 15 mins.
In my opinion shocko is that player. The defense it 10 times better with him in it
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

DUBSFORSAM1

Indiana - To me it is not only the fullback line that is at fault...it is the ball coming into them that is too easy at times.....With a halfback line of Cahill, Brennan, Moran and with Cullen as a sweeper I think we would be a lot tighter at the back...and our losses to me come from poor misses up front more than just the fullback line...

Who would Shocko replace - when he came out he was excellent but he needs to take his chances when he comes on and he gets injured at poor times.....If he proves a better corner back I have no problem at all with him being picked but at the moment I haven't seen it yet....

If Quinn/Connolly/Bonner get a starting place I would be delighted and keep Jayo on the bench....

Main Street

Out of interest who would you value more in the team, Griffin or Cahill?

INDIANA

No they don't DSFM - 3-4 years ago yes- but now it is the defence that is the problem and the stats back this up. Dublin have hit a winning total in every game they've lost back to and including 2005- but they've conceded badly. I agree the defensive system hasn't been up to scratch as we don't seem to have one.
But i'm tired of seeing dublin corner backs up the pitch scoring points- they also have a tendency to shadow rather thsn attack the ball. I accept that if there is space in front you can't always get to it ahead of the forward. But look at the likes of Padraig reidy and marc o se from kerry they play from the front and attack the ball. That coupled with a proper defensive system would help the defence in general and tighten the ship.

dubinhell

Quote from: Main Street on March 05, 2008, 08:24:01 PM
Out of interest who would you value more in the team, Griffin or Cahill?

Thats a tough one, they're both solid players. If pushed i'd say Griff as we have more decent HBs than CBs right now. 

mattockranger

these DCU guys on both sides will know each other's games inside out!
DUB
Cluxton 
Casey
McConnell
Cullen

MON
lennon
Hanratty
smyth
corey
McAdam

will add extra spice to the game as they 'll be going in that bit harder for bragging rights
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

DUBSFORSAM1

Indiana - If they have been kicking winning scores in each match then the opposition can't have had decent backs or defensive systems...and the Kerry backs also come up the pitch and score points...Missing chances was Cosgrove missing an open goal, Vaughan missing a simple free for example against Kerry...

Dublin suffer from a weakness at fullback as we haven't got anyone to take over from Paddy Christie and also with Cullen not being a "stopper" at centre half back....that is why I think while the defensive system was pretty ok last year the personell invovled in certain positions weren't right...

I also feel that we suffer from being too nice further up the field.....Kerry/Tyrone/Armagh forwards are very cynical about commiting fouls in the opposition half in order to allow the defence regroup.

Moran is far more suited to a wingback role than the free man role.
Cullen is far more suited to the free man than the centre back
Cahill will be better on the right wing than the left wing
Brennan will be the stopper at CHB
McConnell should be better with a years experience under his belt..

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on March 06, 2008, 10:16:00 AM
I also feel that we suffer from being too nice further up the field.....Kerry/Tyrone/Armagh forwards are very cynical about commiting fouls in the opposition half in order to allow the defence regroup.

:D :D Two words 'Mark Vaughan'