Dublin v's Monaghan

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, March 03, 2008, 12:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Well this is the big one for Dublin in the league - Win this and promotion should be close to secure, lose and we will be right back in the chasing pack again...We owe the Farney Men for their big victory 2 years ago and I hope we do it....

It should be a very tough physical game which will suit the players in the long run....lets just hope it is a drier day than Saturday...

Would like to see Shaughnessy come back in for the next match and possibly Cahill (if fit)...hope Fennell plays as the more gametime he gets the better in the long run...Up front Brogan/Cullen need to start firing and would like to see a full forward line of Brogan, Keaney, Brogan...

I assume there will be no hassle getting tickets on the Sat as flying back for this one......

Gnevin

Was  Shaughnessy injured on saturday?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

heffo

Quote from: Gnevin on March 03, 2008, 12:55:08 PM

He did his hamstring on Thursday.

Gnevin

Quote from: heffo on March 03, 2008, 12:56:00 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 03, 2008, 12:55:08 PM

He did his hamstring on Thursday.
He's the only player when you hear he picks up an injury  you think OK grand so at least it wasn't his shoulder
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Maguire01

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on March 03, 2008, 12:50:16 PM
I assume there will be no hassle getting tickets on the Sat as flying back for this one......

I'd also like to know what the score is for admission - can you pay on the night or is there somewhere to buy tickets in advance?

dubinhell

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 03, 2008, 01:41:10 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on March 03, 2008, 12:50:16 PM

I'd also like to know what the score is for admission - can you pay on the night or is there somewhere to buy tickets in advance?

Usually pay at the gate in Parnell. Enjoy, it's going to be a good one!!

Main Street

As Monaghan have just beaten the 3 weakest teams in Div 2 and have to play Dublin&Cork away with the 2 Meaths at home, I think the Dubs are well in the driving seat for top spot.
However if Monaghan do manage to get off to a flyer and stand their ground I trust that the Dubs can take it on the chin and we will not be reading a lot of whinging about the biased ref in the post game thread.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Main Street on March 03, 2008, 02:09:15 PM
As Monaghan have just beaten the 3 weakest teams in Div 2 and have to play Dublin&Cork away with the 2 Meaths at home, I think the Dubs are well in the driving seat for top spot.
However if Monaghan do manage to get off to a flyer and stand their ground I trust that the Dubs can take it on the chin and we will not be reading a lot of whinging about the biased ref in the post game thread.

Well if Monaghan win they win - if Dublin win they win and either way I wont critiscise the ref - as I said on the Bannon discussion the first time a player goes through 70 mins without making a single mistake then they can talk about a ref and not before....

Maguire01

Not sure that Meath aren't one of the weaker teams.  They've lost to Westmeath, only managed a draw with Roscommon and got 2 points for nothing from the Cork game.  Not sure that this makes them any stronger than Cavan, Armagh or Roscommon.

I do agree that Monaghan have a tougher second half in Division 2.

his holiness nb

Dont be so naive lads, if Dublin win, the ref will most certainly be criticised, surely you have been here long enough to know that  ;)

Looking forward to this, should be a cracker.
Ask me holy bollix

tayto

They beat us fair and square in parnell park last time, it's going to be close.

INDIANA

i think the monghan forwards will fancy their chances on the dublin backs. I don't think Mongahan will be able to exploit Dublin at midfield in the abscence of Whelan though. Cahill is playing against Antrim on Friday night in his comeback game. I think it will be tight enough but i'd expect a big performance from Dublin in light of the hiding we got 2 years ago.

Main Street

Hard to credit but that win in 2006 against the Dubs was the highlight of a poor season.

Some Armagh fans and pundits thought because Monaghan fielded their first choice 15 that they are supposed to firing at near full capacity - which is ridiculous.
Maybe in Monaghan's favor are the 3 games preparation. It would be hard to put a slide rule over the Dubs (gale force weather) against Cavan and compare it to Monaghans, of course not forgetting Pillar's standby comment "teams are gunning for us" factor :)

GrandMasterFlash

Monaghan have a fair bit of homework to do after Sundays game with Armagh. You can be sure though they won't fear Dublin, even in Parnell Park. I was at the last game and thought Dublin were complacent, thought they only had to tog out as Monaghan weren't doin that well up to that point, and 'it's only Monaghan'. Monaghan capitalised on this and left Dublin in their wake.

That was then though and this is now! You can be sure that won't happen again from a Dublin perspective, obviously. I reckon it'll be a cracker as Monaghan will be out to prove two points, one being that they are a decent team and are worthy of being top of the league and two that the last time wasn't a pure fluke..

On the player front, it's good for us that Eoin Lennon came thru the Armagh game without injury as he will be crucial to the cause in this one. I'd like to see our forwards get a bit more return from open play in this one as the margin of scores were from frees on Sunday past. It's encouraging though to win a tight local derby where Tommy Freeman doesn't register a score. Definitely not the Monaghan of old.. Our shot selection was poor on Sunda last which needs to be addressed, extra hand passing when shots should have been taken and shots being taken when hand passes should have been given..

I know it'll be a tough test for Monaghan but one that we're really lookin forward to..

Hound

Quote from: INDIANA on March 04, 2008, 09:37:30 AM
i think the monghan forwards will fancy their chances on the dublin backs. I don't think Mongahan will be able to exploit Dublin at midfield in the abscence of Whelan though. Cahill is playing against Antrim on Friday night in his comeback game. I think it will be tight enough but i'd expect a big performance from Dublin in light of the hiding we got 2 years ago.
Yeah, I'd also expect Dublin to put in a much better performance than we did versus Westmeath and Cavan. Should be a cracking game.

I wonder what position Barry Cahill will play when he's back...