Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 07, 2021, 05:14:33 PM
Not a lot of Irish fighters out there to get you excited at the minute.  Frampton is gone, Quigley's career seems to have disappeared and Conlan has not really excelled to the levels first thought.  The McKenna brothers, Paddy Donovan and Kurt Walker seem to be the next prospects in line.

Joe Ward was a good amateur but his career has been stop start. Irish amateur boxing seems to be in a good place though and no doubt someone will come through in the next few years but I haven't a clue who that is going to be. Disappointed with Sean McComb so far.

nrico2006

Quote from: JimStynes on April 07, 2021, 06:26:07 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 07, 2021, 05:14:33 PM
Not a lot of Irish fighters out there to get you excited at the minute.  Frampton is gone, Quigley's career seems to have disappeared and Conlan has not really excelled to the levels first thought.  The McKenna brothers, Paddy Donovan and Kurt Walker seem to be the next prospects in line.

Joe Ward was a good amateur but his career has been stop start. Irish amateur boxing seems to be in a good place though and no doubt someone will come through in the next few years but I haven't a clue who that is going to be. Disappointed with Sean McComb so far.

Forgot about Ward, he probably is the best of the lot.  Watched his fight there a few weeks ago, hopefully he kicks on now.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Jake Paul pound for pound best boxer ever

imtommygunn

I see a boy from Jordan died at the youth world championships. Very sad :(

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2021, 05:48:00 PM
I see a boy from Jordan died at the youth world championships. Very sad :(

You'd have to also feel for his opponent.

imtommygunn

Yeah I was thinking that too. Chances of that happening are so slim and so unintentional too but he is bound to feel guilty. Very sad.

nrico2006

Parker and Chisora this weekend, should be nowhere near a PPV.  Probably go the distance and Parker should edge it.  Taylor should beat Jonas, would like to see her try and replicate what Shields has done next though as all 4 of the WW titles are still sitting with an opponent she has previously beaten (McCaskill), has to be the fight to go for.

Canelo and BJS the week after, looking forward to that one.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Taylor

Edwards & Conlan fighting tomorrow night as well.

Conlan is 1/5 but I feel that is too short.
Baluta looked decent v Joyce - you have to feel its time Conlan stepped up to the mark or this talk or a World Title is pie in the sky stuff.

Edwards v Mthalane should be a great scrap - could go either way

nrico2006

Quote from: Taylor on April 29, 2021, 10:05:14 AM
Edwards & Conlan fighting tomorrow night as well.

Conlan is 1/5 but I feel that is too short.
Baluta looked decent v Joyce - you have to feel its time Conlan stepped up to the mark or this talk or a World Title is pie in the sky stuff.

Edwards v Mthalane should be a great scrap - could go either way

I actually forgot about Conlan, his career so far has been based on fighting average at best fighters, hard to get excited about his fights until, as you say, he fights someone decent.  He is nearly 30 and hasn't fought a decent opponent yet.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Tennyson stopped badly in the first round. Stratton was meant to be an unknown who could punch and that's exactly how it turned out.

ONeill

Eubank and Hatton...juniors. Feel old?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

nrico2006

Conlan unimpressive last night. Tennyson seems to have a bit of a glass jaw, been exposed quite a few times now.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Why does Katie Taylor constantly get involved in brawls? She's the much superior boxer and quicker hand speed so she shouldn't have to brawl with anyone.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on May 02, 2021, 09:37:55 AM
Why does Katie Taylor constantly get involved in brawls? She's the much superior boxer and quicker hand speed so she shouldn't have to brawl with anyone.

Sometimes you're brought down to a level and before you know it you're fighting/playing well below your best, when you win those it's shows that if you match them with fire then the skills will win through in the end.

This goes for every sport, Katie is the benchmark, everyone wants to take her titles, no easy ones, if she makes enough money she should get out at the top, though I doubt at this level her winnings would be substantial
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought.

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 02, 2021, 01:40:02 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 02, 2021, 09:37:55 AM
Why does Katie Taylor constantly get involved in brawls? She's the much superior boxer and quicker hand speed so she shouldn't have to brawl with anyone.

Sometimes you're brought down to a level and before you know it you're fighting/playing well below your best, when you win those it's shows that if you match them with fire then the skills will win through in the end.

This goes for every sport, Katie is the benchmark, everyone wants to take her titles, no easy ones, if she makes enough money she should get out at the top, though I doubt at this level her winnings would be substantial

I would agree if it was an inexperienced boxer but she's not. I think she knows that she's the superior boxer to most people she fights so will fight whatever way they want and win anyway. It's certainly not a style of boxing that'll be good for her health down the line. What a role model she is though. Has to be up there with a select few as Ireland's best sports person ever.