Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2010, 09:46:32 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 12, 2010, 09:32:48 AM
I heard Bebe can play as an attacking midfielder too, something that we are in dire need of.

He's going to ruin one of your songs now :D

You root in the dustbin for something to eat
You find a dead rat and you think it's a treat :D

You can hardly shout 'house' or 'watch your house' at him.

Maybe he was related to George Weah.

P.S. at what point is it bad taste slagging off his unfortunate paste? (Yes I'm guilty of it too).
MWWSI 2017

NAG1

Quote from: Boycey on August 13, 2010, 01:41:23 PM
Quote from: AFS on August 13, 2010, 01:04:25 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 13, 2010, 09:43:14 AM
Obv the pressure of other clubs scouting him has forced their hand on this one, massive gamble but then again if he turns out to be the business we will all be saying what a cracking deal!

No matter how good he ends up, it'll still be a shite deal if it turns out the club had to fork out unnecessary millions because they didn't get the finger out 5 weeks ago.

But why did none of the other clubs allegedly after him sign him for free 5 weeks ago either?

The truth is out there..................

Yeah good point!

Quote from: muppet on August 13, 2010, 01:22:05 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2010, 09:46:32 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 12, 2010, 09:32:48 AM
I heard Bebe can play as an attacking midfielder too, something that we are in dire need of.

He's going to ruin one of your songs now :D

You root in the dustbin for something to eat
You find a dead rat and you think it's a treat :D

You can hardly shout 'house' or 'watch your house' at him.

Maybe he was related to George Weah.

P.S. at what point is it bad taste slagging off his unfortunate paste? (Yes I'm guilty of it too).

I think if he gets any sort of decent contract then he wont mind any sort of slagging now to be fair!

mountainboii

Obv the pressure of other clubs scouting him has forced their hand on this one, massive gamble but then again if he turns out to be the business we will all be saying what a cracking deal!

No matter how good he ends up, it'll still be a shite deal if it turns out the club had to fork out unnecessary millions because they didn't get the finger out 5 weeks ago.

But why did none of the other clubs allegedly after him sign him for free 5 weeks ago either?

Had he a pre-contract agreement with Guimarães? I think that's what David was getting at in the previous page. That would go a long way to explaining why a move wasn't made at the end of June. Still an awful lot of money to splash on a lad from the semi-pro ranks.

ross4life

From Manutd.com

Club confirms squad numbers

United's squad numbers for the 2010/11 Barclays Premier League campaign have been confirmed.

New signings Chris Smalling and Chicharito will wear 12 and 14 respectively - as vacated by summer sales Ben Foster and Zoran Tosic - while there has been no movement in existing squad numbers. Prospective new arrival Bebe will be allocated a shirt upon completing his transfer to Old Trafford.

While shirt numbers have been determined, the Reds' final 25-man squad - as per the league's new Home Grown Player rules - will not be confirmed until the deadline on Wednesday 1 September.

2010/11 Barclays Premier League squad numbers
1. Van der Sar,2. Neville, 3. Evra, 4. Hargreaves, 5. Ferdinand, 6. Brown, 7. Owen, 8. Anderson, 9. Berbatov, 10. Rooney, 11. Giggs, 12. Smalling, 13. Park, 14. Chicharito, 15. Vidic, 16. Carrick, 17. Nani, 18. Scholes, 20. Fabio, 21. Rafael, 22. O'Shea, 23. J Evans, 24. Fletcher, 25. Valencia, 26. Obertan, 27. Macheda, 28. Gibson, 29. Kuszczak, 30. De Laet, 31. C Evans, 35. Cleverley, 40. Amos, 42. Eikrem, 44. Dudgeon, 45. Gill.

So with the 25 man Squad whos in whos out?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

David McKeown

Been involved in a long running debate this morning with some friends as to the legality of the 25 man squad with home grown player rule in place.  Heres my best guess at the Utd squad

VDS
Neville (HG)
Evra
Rio (HG)
Brown (HG)
Owen (HG)
Anderson
Berbatov
Rooney (HG)
Giggs (HG)
Park
Hernadez
Vidic
Carrick (HG)
Nani
Scholes (HG)
O Shea (HG)
J Evans (HG)
Fletcher (HG)
Valencia 
Gibson (HG)
Kuzscack
Hargreaves
De Leat
A new transfer?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

David McKeown

Quote from: AFS on August 13, 2010, 02:00:45 PM

Had he a pre-contract agreement with Guimarães? I think that's what David was getting at in the previous page. That would go a long way to explaining why a move wasn't made at the end of June. Still an awful lot of money to splash on a lad from the semi-pro ranks.

Theres some suggestion that whilst maybe not a pre-contract as such there was some agreement with Guimarães  the suggestion is that his previous club couldnt meet his wages for x number of weeks which under portugese league regulations made him a free agent.  That is to say it wasn't that his previous contract expired or that he was released.  The day after this clause was triggered he signed for Guimarães.  It might be completely wrong but that was the gist of what I was reading on a few blogs.  I was also refereed to a guardian blog earlier stating that the 7.5 transfer figure is just a best guess based on his buy out clause and was being reported as the figure simply because the paper that broke the story used that figure.  I notice L'Quipe are stating €6.5 million

mountainboii

Quote from: David McKeown on August 13, 2010, 02:29:39 PM
Been involved in a long running debate this morning with some friends as to the legality of the 25 man squad with home grown player rule in place.  Heres my best guess at the Utd squad

VDS
Neville (HG)
Evra
Rio (HG)
Brown (HG)
Owen (HG)
Anderson
Berbatov
Rooney (HG)
Giggs (HG)
Park
Hernadez
Vidic
Carrick (HG)
Nani
Scholes (HG)
O Shea (HG)
J Evans (HG)
Fletcher (HG)
Valencia 
Gibson (HG)
Kuzscack
Hargreaves
De Leat
A new transfer?

Do Anderson and De Laet not also count as home grown? Both have spent 3 seasons in England by the time they turned 21 (or by the end of the season during which they turned 21). Not that it really matters, United have well in excess of the required eight anyway.

Definitely room for one more player, only 24 lads over 21 at the minute.

Quote from: David McKeown on August 13, 2010, 02:35:31 PM
Theres some suggestion that whilst maybe not a pre-contract as such there was some agreement with Guimarães  the suggestion is that his previous club couldnt meet his wages for x number of weeks which under portugese league regulations made him a free agent.  That is to say it wasn't that his previous contract expired or that he was released.  The day after this clause was triggered he signed for Guimarães.  It might be completely wrong but that was the gist of what I was reading on a few blogs.  I was also refereed to a guardian blog earlier stating that the 7.5 transfer figure is just a best guess based on his buy out clause and was being reported as the figure simply because the paper that broke the story used that figure.  I notice L'Quipe are stating €6.5 million

Yeah, I think I'll give up trying to make sense of it for the time being. No point trying to get the bottom of it with so few details out there.

David McKeown

Not sure about Anderson I think he turned 22 during his third season although the definition of your age in football is a little strange for example this season a player is under 21 if they were born on or after 1st January 1989 which means the are considered under 21 all season even when they are 22 yet a player who is currently 21 will be considered 22 all season if they turn 22 before new years eve this year.

I think I just missed the HG at the end of Deleat anyway.  The rule on needing 8 home grown players has been mis-reported anyway.  The rule actually is you can have a maximum of 17 non home grown players not that you must have 8 home grown players.  You could meet the rule by naming a squad of 17 non home grown players and 0 home grown players.  Chelsea I think will only have three home grown players this season.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

NAG1

Dont know about Hargreaves, as far as I am aware you can replace someone in the window at christmas or rejig your 25, maybe I am wrong but thats what I had read. So my point is if he isnt fit now is there any point having him in until christmas?

David McKeown

Quote from: NAG1 on August 13, 2010, 03:40:55 PM
Dont know about Hargreaves, as far as I am aware you can replace someone in the window at christmas or rejig your 25, maybe I am wrong but thats what I had read. So my point is if he isnt fit now is there any point having him in until christmas?

Probably not but only if there was someone else to take his place.  From my count above, even including him Utd would still only be naming a 24 man squad based on the players currently at the club

mountainboii

Quote from: David McKeown on August 13, 2010, 03:03:32 PM
Not sure about Anderson I think he turned 22 during his third season although the definition of your age in football is a little strange for example this season a player is under 21 if they were born on or after 1st January 1989 which means the are considered under 21 all season even when they are 22 yet a player who is currently 21 will be considered 22 all season if they turn 22 before new years eve this year.

I think I just missed the HG at the end of Deleat anyway.  The rule on needing 8 home grown players has been mis-reported anyway.  The rule actually is you can have a maximum of 17 non home grown players not that you must have 8 home grown players.  You could meet the rule by naming a squad of 17 non home grown players and 0 home grown players.  Chelsea I think will only have three home grown players this season.

Yeah, you're right. Anderson misses it by a few months.

Didn't realise that about the 17 non-home grown. Was wondering how a few were going to cope.

David McKeown

Quote from: ross4life on August 13, 2010, 03:05:57 PM
Premier League squads under scrutiny

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8902975.stm

Just had a quick scan of that article and noticed quite a few mistakes seems quite poorly researched

Shrewdness

Despite the fact that there are believed to be about 4000 Unsold Season Tickets, United have been able to declare the Newcastle match as a complete sell out.

This means that a single ticket has been issued for any of the seats that would normally be covered by the unsold season tickets, and also means that all of these single tickets have been snapped up.

So much for a fans boycott in any shape or form at the start of the season. Looks like Round One to the Glazers.

ross4life

Tonight's team

VDS; O'Shea, Vidic, Evans, Evra; Valencia, Fletcher, Scholes, Nani; Rooney, Berba

Subs, Giggs,Smalling,Hernandez,Carrick,Rafael, Macheda, Kuszczak

Edit Park & Owen not match fit