Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Seemed to be an electric atmosphere at the beginning of the game
The noise of the gooners was deafening

Gibbs was very unlucky with the first (was he taken off at half time?)
Dont know what the fcuk Almunia was at for the 2nd :D
Utd's third was superb

Suprised Rooney stayed on the pitch for so long, I would have had him off after the 2nd

Fletcher was unlucky. Will be interesting to see if the referee admits to a mistake.

All in all, good night at the office
Roll on the 27th

Abble

Quote from: full back on May 06, 2009, 08:29:53 AM
Fletcher was unlucky. Will be interesting to see if the referee admits to a mistake.

fletcher went in as if utd were 1 behind...v stupid to take the man down at that stage of the game.

also if the ref should admit to any mistakes maybe he'd need to go through all that first half and admit a few other mistakes.

full back

Quote from: Abble on May 06, 2009, 08:40:50 AM

fletcher went in as if utd were 1 behind...v stupid to take the man down at that stage of the game.

also if the ref should admit to any mistakes maybe he'd need to go through all that first half and admit a few other mistakes.

Did you see the incident? He didnt take the man down, he won the ball

What mistakes did he make in the 1st half?

thebigfella

Quote from: Abble on May 06, 2009, 08:40:50 AM

Wise the f**k up, even the voyeur has admitted he should not have got a red and that fecker never sees anything.

Soft decisions one way or the other are not really the same as the Fletcher sending off. You can't get away with the same physical game in Europe as you can in the Premier League. Everyone knows it and that is why you get what 'appears' to be soft decisions by European refs. If you are refering to the free kick that led to the Ronado free kick going in, maybe decision was a little soft but that's European football. FFS it was 40 or so yards out, Almunia shold have done better.

nifan

Even I felt a bit sorry for fletcher last night!
He was probably man of the match too.

EC Unique

Another good thing about last night is that Utd can carry a lot of confidence into the remaining league games. 3 points of sh1ty on Sunday and it is all over in my opinion. Will Arsenal be able to gather themselves up for a challenge after last week and last night?

The GAA

Great night's football last night altogether. some observations:

I watched the game on rte. when the united team was announced, it was obvious CR would be up front with park on the right and rooney on the left - where he has been playing almost exclusively for months. rte spend 10 mins discussing the folly of playing rooney up front on his own. CR plays as many games up front as he does on the wing - particularly in europe when fergie wants pace in behind the opposition.

Arsenal were mentally brittle. the gibbs mistake finished the game for that reason.

fabregas as gone backwards something shocking this season. i believe he'll leave in the summer.

does wenger not realise the injection he would give his very talented youngsters if he added a villa type figure up front and a terry type figure at the back?

dunphy hasn't a notion. telling souness he doesn't know what he's talking about while discussing the size of the arsenal transer pot! "who have you managed?" says souness.

Rooney is united's most important player by a mile. those counter attack goals that have become something of a trade mark always seem to end with a jet propelled rooney giving a fantastic final ball - the most difficult skill in soccer.

Maximus Marillius

Thon panel in RTE have spent the past two season talking crap about how poor Ronaldo is...my good god, I don't think Dumphy would know a good footballer if he saw one...but he gives us a laugh

Minder

A couple of weeks ago on here there were Utd fans saying he doesnt do things the "United way" and they would be glad to get rid of him in the summer. He is still the most important player at United.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

full back

Quote from: Minder on May 06, 2009, 11:04:31 AM
A couple of weeks ago on here there were Utd fans saying he doesnt do things the "United way" and they would be glad to get rid of him in the summer. He is still the most important player at United.

Who said he doesnt do things the "United way" & they would be glad to get rid of him?

EC Unique

While Ronaldo is a of massive importance I would still have Rooney as 'the most important player at United'

The GAA

Quote from: The GAA on May 06, 2009, 10:48:16 AM
Rooney is united's most important player by a mile. those counter attack goals that have become something of a trade mark always seem to end with a jet propelled rooney giving a fantastic final ball - the most difficult skill in soccer.

;D

Abble

UEFA has just confirmed the red card will be rescinded

gawa316

Quote from: Abble on May 06, 2009, 11:23:58 AM
UEFA has just confirmed the red card will be rescinded

Will or will not be rescinded?

Tommy Tibbs

POLL: FLETCHER DESERVED TO GO
Posted 06/05/09 07:58EmailPrintSave

Graham Poll, the former Premier League referee turned pundit, has hailed Roberto Rosetti for enjoying 'a fine match' in the Champions League semi-final second leg between Arsenal and Manchester United and applauded his decision to dismiss Darren Fletcher.

While match commentators were near unanimous in their belief that Fletcher ought not to have been sent off for his tackle on Cesc Fabregas, Poll has urged Rosetti to stand by his decision.

'Italian referee Roberto Rosetti had a fine match and can justify in law the penalty he gave after Darren Fletcher brought down Cesc Fabregas,' he writes in his column for The Daily Mail.

'When commentators and former players say: 'He got the ball, it can't be a foul,' they are wrong.

'Even though Fletcher got a slight touch on the ball, Rosetti felt it was impossible for the Manchester United midfielder to avoid taking his opponent in the follow.'

Poll's analysis of Rosetti's evening certainly does not tally with the review offered by Arsene Wenger on the Italian whistle-blower.

"I don't believe the referee had a good game," the Arsenal manager commented. "I believe he had a very bad game. He gave many fouls you don't get in the Premier League and that is the reason the championship in Italy is not as committed as here. You get more smaller fouls over there than here and there were fouls here we weren't used to. The red card was harsh as well. I have sympathy for Fletcher."

In all, Rosetti spotted 30 different fouls during the tie - but oddly did not add on a single second of injury time in the first half.

Fletcher will now miss the final in Rome later this month unless Rosetti admits a mistake in his own match report. As an appeal is prohibited, Sir Alex Ferguson's tactic in overturning the decision appears to be appealing to Rosetti's conscience by first flattering his ego.

"You can see the ball has moved away at a different angle and in a different direction," Ferguson said. "It's terribly unlucky, but we can't appeal it. The referee is one of the best in Europe. When he looks at it, he may have a view, but there's nothing we can do.

"I respect him [Rosetti]. He may look at it himself, but we shouldn't ask him. He's confident enough and fair enough to look at it himself, possibly."

Wat a tit you are Graham!  :D