Drugs in UK sports....

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Even publishing details of TUEs won't fully work. You'll end up discriminating against healthy athletes. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that there are performance enhancing aspects of corticosteroids that wouldn't be available to non asthma sufferers, for example.

Froome might come along and say, "I have terrible asthma, it's only fair that I'm allowed treat it to enable me to complete" which, at first glance might seem fair enough, but then also helps him shave weight without losing power. That's not right. Maybe time to draw the line where nature intended.

JimStynes

They're all pushing the boundaries of what is legal and have been for years! I still like Wiggins and think he's a phenomenal cyclist but this has definitely tainted his achievements. Froome and co are all doing the exact same. And as someone said earlier it's technically not illegal. I can't see sport ever being fully clean.

muppet

Why should an asthmatic get to take banned substances, that help them overcome their condition, to get up the mountain and not, for example, an obese person?

And this assumes everyone is 100% honest with their conditions.
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

Quote from: Hound on September 24, 2016, 07:52:43 AM
But that's why all TUEs should be made public, so both the athletes and governing bodies can be held to higher standards and can't get away with facilitating what is effective cheating.
Yip, making TUEs Public Record could definitely make the TUE Tourists think twice.

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on September 24, 2016, 10:28:28 AM
Quote from: Hound on September 24, 2016, 07:52:43 AM
But that's why all TUEs should be made public, so both the athletes and governing bodies can be held to higher standards and can't get away with facilitating what is effective cheating.
Yip, making TUEs Public Record could definitely make the TUE Tourists think twice.

Agreed. Then every TUE would open it to proper medical scrutiny. Some British doctors have described Wiggins' prescription for the corticosteroid triamcinolone as "bonkers" and akin to "using a sledgehammer to crack a nut".
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Great quote in the Guardian today.

Quote"Wiggins, whose own personality is not always his best friend"

In other words, he's a p***k.

TUEs are only valid and legal if there's no deception in acquiring them. Pretty evident at this stage that the intramuscular injections are way beyond what any normal doctor would prescribe for treating asthma. David Millar has had said he's never felt as strong while so skinny as when he was on the same stuff. Sanctioned doping is all it is.

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on September 24, 2016, 01:51:31 PM

TUEs are only valid and legal if there's no deception in acquiring them. Pretty evident at this stage that the intramuscular injections are way beyond what any normal doctor would prescribe for treating asthma. David Millar has had said he's never felt as strong while so skinny as when he was on the same stuff. Sanctioned doping is all it is.

I think the injections were for hay fever and allergies, which is even worse again.
MWWSI 2017

bridgegael

Quote from: muppet on September 24, 2016, 08:26:00 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 24, 2016, 01:51:31 PM

I think the injections were for hay fever and allergies, which is even worse again.

Injections for hay fever for grass that isn't grown in Italy.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Minder

David Walsh must feel like a dick now
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

I only half heard it yesterday morning on Newstalk, but did Paul Kimmage go into meltdown mode when he was talking about David Walsh?

Up The Middle

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 26, 2016, 11:59:17 AM
I only half heard it yesterday morning on Newstalk, but did Paul Kimmage go into meltdown mode when he was talking about David Walsh?

Yeah called him out big time and said their friendship was over.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

imtommygunn

Was it over before this Wiggins TUE stuff being unveiled? I would imagine it was.

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 26, 2016, 12:15:23 PM
Was it over before this Wiggins TUE stuff being unveiled? I would imagine it was.
m

Yeah they fell out a good while ago
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

Walsh has been unpopular for his sky stance for a while now and Kimmage does seem to have let a lot of things consume him wrt Armstrong etc.

bennydorano

Walsh's article in the Sunday Times yesterday was particularly scathing & well worth a read (as was last week's). I've always felt I'm missing something where DW is concerned, the Irish cycling twitterati seem to hate him more than Armstrong. I've always felt he has maintained his independence even when ensconced with Sky.