Drugs in UK sports....

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

See something on Twitter about Sunday Times going to expose a doping ring involving British athletes.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

JimStynes

Dinny Breen

The cheer leading is worse than cycling.
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

2nd on the medals table. More golds and one less overall than 5th Germany and 6th Italy combined.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

gallsman

The number of TUEs Serena has and the shit she's on ffs!

Capt Pat

One of Bradley Wiggins former team doctors was on newsnight on BBC 2 just now questioning why Wiggins was prescribed steroids before the tour de france. I just saw the intro as I didn't have the remote. Did anyone else see it?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 23, 2016, 10:58:02 PM
One of Bradley Wiggins former team doctors was on newsnight on BBC 2 just now questioning why Wiggins was prescribed steroids before the tour de france. I just saw the intro as I didn't have the remote. Did anyone else see it?
No but there is a link to his story on the BBC website on the Cycling page.

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 23, 2016, 11:09:51 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 23, 2016, 10:58:02 PM
No but there is a link to his story on the BBC website on the Cycling page.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37456623

A former team doctor of Sir Bradley Wiggins has questioned the decision to allow him to use a banned steroid just days before major races.

Prentice Steffen said he was "surprised" he was prescribed the drug.

He told BBC Newsnight the sport's governing body was wrong to give the cyclist permission to use a powerful corticosteroid before major races.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Did I see earlier he is doing an interview with Andrew Marr to be broadcast this weekend, is he gonna fess up ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on September 23, 2016, 11:24:56 PM
Did I see earlier he is doing an interview with Andrew Marr to be broadcast this weekend, is he gonna fess up ?
It's an unusually bold and swift response so his PR people will want him to nip it in the bud. The fact that that were given TUEs will cover him as he'll have needed the injections due to an underlying condition. Everyone knows it's bollocks. I feel ashamed for believing he did it clean.

muppet

This Budesonide seems to be an odd choice for asthma. He appears (according to the leak) have been on it for a full year in 2009, along with Formoterol and Salbutamol.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-22008/budesonide-oral/details

Formoterol is another interesting choice for asthma:

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/budesonide-and-formoterol-inhalation.html

'For people with asthma: This medicine is for use only if asthma is severe or is not well-controlled on other long-term asthma medication, such as an inhaled steroid.'

But he was already on Salbutamol. And took an extra 200 μg on 13 June, 2009, 3 weeks before the TDF where he replaced Armstrong in 3rd place. (He already had won Olympic medals riding for the all conquering British team).

He also took 250 ng of Fluticasone (noted as being approved along with 250 μg of Salbutamol) for the year. Whatever that is, it comes with the following warning: Do NOT use fluticasone aerosol inhaler if:
....you are allergic to any ingredient in fluticasone aerosol inhaler
....you are having a severe asthma attack requiring quick relief

Why so much asthma medication? Let's face it, that last thing a normal person with asthma would do, would be to take on the TDF. And why medication that can't be taken if the condition is severe? I could understand medication for a sever condition being granted in TUE. That would make sense. But allowing banned medication (with performance enhancing benefits) that explicitly warns against being taken during the extreme end of the scale, stinks to be honest.

And that is without mentioning the triamcinolone acetonide which he took just before the TDF that he won.

A Google search shows the this is the drug that Lance Armstrong failed a test for in 1999 and that it is sometimes used as an anti-inflammatory drug for horses!

I am not going to pretend to be a pharmacist or a doctor, or that I even understand the contents of the leaks (I don't) but that seems to be quite a cocktail of treatments for asthma. I'm surprised the lad could get out bed of never, never mind win the TDF.

MWWSI 2017

Hound

But the fact of the matter is that Wiggins didn't cheat, from a legal perspective. He got permission from the cycling bodies to take these drugs. It's utterly ridiculous.

But that's why all TUEs should be made public, so both the athletes and governing bodies can be held to higher standards and can't get away with facilitating what is effective cheating.

If you've got an embarrassing medical condition that you don't want made public (which is a very small mintority of the TUEs) then take an alternative substance that's not on the banned list, or take a break. But you can't have the case of a clean athlete saying "I wish I had asthma or I wish I had ADHD because then I could take the drugs that the lad who beat me took."
And more importantly, the governing bodies should have doctors who can suggest alternative (non-performance enhancing) treatments, so the athlete wouldnt have to go on any public TUE list.