Drugs in UK sports....

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2016, 05:45:48 PM
If anything, I'd have expected Sahko to be caught for Cocaine!

Would probably get a bigger ban too.

Is there any sports that take drugs serious? Or is just all about the money?
#newbridgeornowhere

theskull1

Anyone who follows cycling have a hold on how big and widespread the secret electric motor scandal is yet?

Professional sports/sportsmen will go to whatever lengths they feel they can get away with to get to the money.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Dinny Breen

Quote from: theskull1 on April 25, 2016, 05:57:26 PM
Anyone who follows cycling have a hold on how big and widespread the secret electric motor scandal is yet?

Professional sports/sportsmen will go to whatever lengths they feel they can get away with to get to the money.

Mechanical doping being going in motor sports for years. Didn't the America's Cup have a big scandal as well.

It's just human nature. Juts thinking about Cricket a civilised game, from Borderline to ball tampering, people will still do anything to win, add in money and it's a given.
#newbridgeornowhere

lenny

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2016, 11:42:08 AM
I think it's the nature of it. A fat burning drug. But it is cheating, and he is an idiot, and he's going to get a ban, rightly so.

So if he wasn't taking this fat burning drug he would be fatter which would make him slower and affect his stamina. That makes it performance enhancing.

Clov

Quote from: theskull1 on April 25, 2016, 05:57:26 PM

There was a joint French/Italian tv documentary last week that promised to reveal motor use at the Giro using cameras that detect heat sources, however the evidence they presented was fairly weak (going on what i've seen reported - i haven't seen the programme). The UCI have been testing bikes for motors for a few years now suggesting that they may have had a tip off about the practice but at the moment it is mostly just suspicion rather than concrete evidence.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

bennydorano

They are seeing heat signatures and saying they are motors - no smoke without fire seems a very appropriate adage here.  At the Strade Bianchi race (an Italian one day race used as a Classics warm up) they reckon there was a few at it. I read the story a while back and didn't know what to think, i'd be inclined to wait for definitive proof. Cycling is the only sport where guilt is assumed and you've to prove your innocence.

It's notable that no team has been fingered as yet, so the documentarians aren't 100% or are getting all their legal ducks in a row. It's a new low if true.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lenny on April 25, 2016, 06:18:38 PM
I think it's the nature of it. A fat burning drug. But it is cheating, and he is an idiot, and he's going to get a ban, rightly so.

So if he wasn't taking this fat burning drug he would be fatter which would make him slower and affect his stamina. That makes it performance enhancing.

He has played a lot better recently
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Yep, that's what I said, it is cheating. If you use an artificial, banned, aid to help you get in better condition, then it's cheating. Even if it's not a masking agent for something else.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2016, 09:21:08 AM

Yep, that's what I said, it is cheating. If you use an artificial, banned, aid to help you get in better condition, then it's cheating. Even if it's not a masking agent for something else.

Do you think it's just isolated to Sahko? I'm looking at Origi here, he's got an awful lot bigger very quickly....
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I actually had that exact thought about Origi a couple of weeks ago.  But then I look at Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Sturridge and the other waifs and think 'nah'.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2016, 10:07:19 AM
I actually had that exact thought about Origi a couple of weeks ago.  But then I look at Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Sturridge and the other waifs and think 'nah'.

That's because you are a Liverpool fan, looking in it does raise a flag. Leicester to me are definitely are on something...
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2016, 11:34:31 AM
What are Arsenal smoking?

Arsenal currently have no injuries, is that sports science or just science? I am just a complete cynic now.

#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2016, 11:34:31 AM
What are Arsenal smoking?

There is no question that Arsenal is full of dopes.
MWWSI 2017

lurganblue

imagine the laugh if anyone at villa is found to be on performance enhancing drugs.  That would put people right off them