Drugs in UK sports....

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2016, 03:07:57 PM
I just realised, I misread your last sentence. Are you saying you *don't* have a problem with sportmen and women trying to use illegal PEDs to win things? JEsus, I'd be 180 degrees from you in that case.

I would love all sports to be clean but it's just not going to happen, competitors use PEDs in the Paralympics ffs How depressing is that

Between financial doping and actual doping there are few sports that you can sit back and really enjoy anymore where you know it your heart and soul it's not a level playing field.

I just accept that it's no longer fair, I want Leicester to now win the EPL but I look at their lack of injuries, I look at their body shapes, I look at their work rate and I just wonder...

#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

If I thought you had to dope to win at Gaelic Football or Hurling, I would quit being involved in it, or coaching. I'd hate it.

LeoMc

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2016, 03:04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm sure lads in the GAA are taking stuff, but I thought it was unusual you didn't list Rugby, which has undergone the most obvious changes in body shape, and style of game.

I don't, genuinely, think a lot of lads in the GAA are taking steroids or the like, but I'd say there are some dodgy supplements around.
Creatine, caffine pills, red bull....

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2016, 03:34:39 PM
If I thought you had to dope to win at Gaelic Football or Hurling, I would quit being involved in it, or coaching. I'd hate it.

I don't think you coach to win, I think you like me coach to develop and watch young men fulfill their potential and become a better player and a better person. Football and Hurling will never be in the same bracket as the above sports because of less financial reward but on a individual level players will take drugs to improve endurance and to help with recovery, they already do. It's out nature we want to win..
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I coach for both reasons. And some day I hope to coach at adult level, and win :)

AZOffaly

Quote from: LeoMc on March 24, 2016, 03:43:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2016, 03:04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm sure lads in the GAA are taking stuff, but I thought it was unusual you didn't list Rugby, which has undergone the most obvious changes in body shape, and style of game.

I don't, genuinely, think a lot of lads in the GAA are taking steroids or the like, but I'd say there are some dodgy supplements around.
Creatine, caffine pills, red bull....

ASthma Inhalers! But that's going since I was playing. All the smokers used to suck on an inhaler before a game..

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2016, 03:46:49 PM
I coach for both reasons. And some day I hope to coach at adult level, and win :)

The new Eugene Magee..
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

God I hope not. Although going by recent developments here in Tipp, it might have to be back in Offaly I go!

Declan

QuoteI coach for both reasons. And some day I hope to coach at adult level, and win
For a greater sense of satisfaction stay coaching kids - Don't think I'll ever coach adult teams again

AZOffaly

Quote from: Declan on March 24, 2016, 03:52:47 PM
QuoteI coach for both reasons. And some day I hope to coach at adult level, and win
For a greater sense of satisfaction stay coaching kids - Don't think I'll ever coach adult teams again

I've coached at Adult level. I enjoyed it. I enjoy the challenge. Next time I even hope to win :)

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2016, 03:54:11 PM

I've coached at Adult level. I enjoyed it. I enjoy the challenge. Next time I even hope to win :)

I'm with Declan, no interest in coaching at adult level ever. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 24, 2016, 03:54:11 PM

Have done both, always prefer coaching kids. Massive challenge coaching adults, develop a squad and create competition for places, you will always me missing players so need depth and competition drives standards and removes complacency.
#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

QuoteI've coached at Adult level. I enjoyed it. I enjoy the challenge. Next time I even hope to win

Fair play AZ - each to their own

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

JimStynes

Big doping story apparently coming out tomorrow in the Sunday Times. Footballers involved as well.