Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

theres no word  of him going down under a hard hit from Clerkin,who ended up on the floor himself, so the question is if he can brush this off so easy why he going down under lesser tackles which happend to be in better scoring positions.

A Tohill used to get the jersey pulled of him in many a game, he got on with it, J McCartan a much smaller man was noted for doing the take down and getting an odd easy free on top of the hard ones. It used to annoy me Tohill never got frees where McCartan did for the same type of tackle, but i been less happy with him as a player to look up to, if he started going down to get frees just to show the ref he was been fouled.

At the end of the day its all down to what you expect from a team representing your county, some things which players from my own county done i didn't like, and there be no way i defend them with the attitude "but that team at it, that player does it", if your happy u team does it, then take the criticism other counties will give of a team/players actions on the football field.

You sometimes be remembered for your actions,antics etc, that why Billy Sheenan will always be so loved among his northern countrymen (or brits if u talking to Billy) Sorry Billy have to use some example.

Maguire01

Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 16, 2014, 10:54:07 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on June 16, 2014, 10:44:39 PM
Is Cavanagh a diver - well yeah he is a bit. He does go down easy at times. Did he pull down Hughes? Well maybe a little, but without a doubt not before Hughes had fouled him.

But I think it is important to not lose sight of the amount of times the man is fouled/pulled back/blocked. Cavanagh gets fouled far more than he ever gets frees. And he does go down easy but is that diving? perhaps it is, but he rarely does it when he hasn't been fouled. maybe he could stay on his feet but if he has been fouled then again maybe he is entitled to go down????

Hate to see players go down easy even if they are being fouled but in regards to Mone's rugby tackle on Cavanagh i felt at the time Mone had every intention to take sean down and was rightly carded. Cavanagh held on to ensure the ref made correct call. I think Cavanagh is getting special attention from the media.
Mone?

imtommygunn

That was the other cavanagh who hit clerkin.

Nothing to do with media. The amount of diving he was at on sunday was bad. He is not usually as bad as that.

I doubt a 6'3" man has ever had as many high tackles done on him as cavanagh sunday.

Great player. Needs to cut it out.

Fuzzman

Quiet yer moaning boyz. We'll meet again this year I bet up in Omagh this time.
Good posts Benny H

nrico2006

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 16, 2014, 10:59:24 PM
theres no word  of him going down under a hard hit from Clerkin,who ended up on the floor himself, so the question is if he can brush this off so easy why he going down under lesser tackles which happend to be in better scoring positions.

A Tohill used to get the jersey pulled of him in many a game, he got on with it, J McCartan a much smaller man was noted for doing the take down and getting an odd easy free on top of the hard ones. It used to annoy me Tohill never got frees where McCartan did for the same type of tackle, but i been less happy with him as a player to look up to, if he started going down to get frees just to show the ref he was been fouled.

At the end of the day its all down to what you expect from a team representing your county, some things which players from my own county done i didn't like, and there be no way i defend them with the attitude "but that team at it, that player does it", if your happy u team does it, then take the criticism other counties will give of a team/players actions on the football field.

You sometimes be remembered for your actions,antics etc, that why Billy Sheenan will always be so loved among his northern countrymen (or brits if u talking to Billy) Sorry Billy have to use some example.

Every forward worth their salt knows how to buy a free when in the scoring zone.  Cavanagh knocked Clerkin flying on Sunday but there is some difference when going at full pelt and there is contact with an opposing player, the result usually being that you'll go flying and land in a heap.  As for the Darren Hughes incident, Hughes was fouling last year and was at the same yesterday.  The picture clearly backs it up.  If he learnt to tackle legitimately he would maybe make more of a contribution than he has so far against the top teams.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

That's because it was a fair shoulder to shoulder charge and he is quite happy to ship those tackles, as its part of the game.  A completely nonsensical comparison to make, but in line with other nonsense on this thread.
That was never a square ball!!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 17, 2014, 01:00:05 AM
Quiet yer moaning boyz.
..says the man who's done a fair bit of it himself. From the media, to the supporters, to the manager, the tactics, the players, want me to continue?  ::)

Bingo

You can argue on individual incidents all day, all teams will have players who will look to take advantage of the rules and this has always existed. Monaghans Nudie Hughes would buy 2/3 frees a game by pulling in defenders stray hand and that was in the 80's.

The black card was to address this but it is very hard to spot. Plus as it is a black card offence, you'd expect some cards to be shown for it but I've seen frees given against forwards for this and no further action has been taken. Its like its been ignored.

And the reason is very obvious - its so hard to call. As that picture shows, I'd a decent view of Hughes Black card. In real time, I said straight away that he was gone, the man beside me the same. Hughes was totally wrapped round him with both arms and appeared to be jockeying him. TV pictures might show differently but ref doesn't have them. I can't recall Hughes making much of it either.

I welcomed the black at the time but from the first rules briefing I attended, I said they were only going to add to the problems. As the championship hots up this is becoming more apparent.

I doubt any ref will want to ref the All-Ireland final this year as the calls to be made will be massive.

LeoMc

Quote from: Bingo on June 17, 2014, 09:35:13 AM
You can argue on individual incidents all day, all teams will have players who will look to take advantage of the rules and this has always existed. Monaghans Nudie Hughes would buy 2/3 frees a game by pulling in defenders stray hand and that was in the 80's.

The black card was to address this but it is very hard to spot. Plus as it is a black card offence, you'd expect some cards to be shown for it but I've seen frees given against forwards for this and no further action has been taken. Its like its been ignored.

And the reason is very obvious - its so hard to call. As that picture shows, I'd a decent view of Hughes Black card. In real time, I said straight away that he was gone, the man beside me the same. Hughes was totally wrapped round him with both arms and appeared to be jockeying him. TV pictures might show differently but ref doesn't have them. I can't recall Hughes making much of it either.

I welcomed the black at the time but from the first rules briefing I attended, I said they were only going to add to the problems. As the championship hots up this is becoming more apparent.

I doubt any ref will want to ref the All-Ireland final this year as the calls to be made will be massive.
I thought at the time it was a bit softer than the previous two, then I heard Brolly had been on a rant about Cavanagh and the pictures that RTE showed that night seemed to back him up.

This shows another angle. As the Tyrone PRO said on Twitter Maybe Sky cameras would have got more or better angles.

Canalman

Quote from: Bingo on June 17, 2014, 09:35:13 AM

Don't you worry Bingo, the referees will tear out each other's entrails if needs be to get to ref the AIF.
Have to say I think the black card has been a great move. At club level I believe the mouthing off at referees has fallen off a cliff because of it and if for no other reason that is good enough for me.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 17, 2014, 08:51:58 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 17, 2014, 01:00:05 AM
Quiet yer moaning boyz.
..says the man who's done a fair bit of it himself. From the media, to the supporters, to the manager, the tactics, the players, want me to continue?  ::)

I typed that on my phone at 1am and predictive text changed it from Quet to Quiet
I meant
"It's 1am quet your mone-ing"

There were a lot more controversial decisions that this one but to me when you've got your two arms around a players waste like that then their is only really one intention on the tacklers mind and that is to stop him. The difference is now of course is that the tackler tries to stay on their feet despite the cynical nature of the foul

LeoMc

omagh_gael

The infuriating thing is that Sean would, in all likelihood, have got his free if he had of tried to continue on. Hughes may have still got a black card as anyone moving at that speed would likely hit the dirt. Grabbing his arm on the fall leaves Sean open to ridicule and takes the focus away from how much fouling/abuse he receives himself.

Out of interest,  would be curious to see the stats on which player has been responsible (as in the victim) for the most most black cards. Sean's bound to be near the top. Is it four so far in the championship?  Two versus Down and two on Sunday?

Schkite

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 17, 2014, 08:35:27 AM

Every forward worth their salt knows how to buy a free when in the scoring zone.  Cavanagh knocked Clerkin flying on Sunday but there is some difference when going at full pelt and there is contact with an opposing player, the result usually being that you'll go flying and land in a heap.  As for the Darren Hughes incident, Hughes was fouling last year and was at the same yesterday.  The picture clearly backs it up.  If he learnt to tackle legitimately he would maybe make more of a contribution than he has so far against the top teams.

Nice, take a dig at his performances to back up your point. He was excellent when we beat the AI champs last year to win Ulster or did they not count as a top team?  ::)

As for Hughes "fouling last year and at it again", the key foul that he got booked for last year he clearly won the ball in. In this case a picture means little, you need to see video footage of it, you can't even see Cavanagh's right arm that seemed to hold onto Hughes's right arm. It was probably a foul alright but it's hard to say if Hughes would've got a black card if it wasn't for Cavanagh pulling his arm in.