Quote from: Maguire01 on June 16, 2014, 07:59:42 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 16, 2014, 07:51:45 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 16, 2014, 07:36:18 PM
Some shocking reporting in The Irish News Today. A few quotes:

"Kinsella's adjudication of the black card rule was fine"

"Hughes was shown a black card when he dragged Cavanagh to the ground"

"Yesterday it was Darren Hughes doing the rugby-tackling"

"Set up Monaghan's goal and was black-carded for rugby-tackling Sean Cavanagh"

Now I can understand the ref making a wrong call in the heat of the moment - it's a difficult one to call - but surely journalists can do a better job than this?

Maybe they are right and you are wrong!
If i'm wrong, then so is Brolly, Spillane, O'Se and Whelan - all of whom had the opportunity to see several replays of the incident(s). Not to mention most people here who managed to catch the game or highlights on TV.

Have to agree with the Monaghan man here.

BennyHarp

Now I can understand the ref making a wrong call in the heat of the moment - it's a difficult one to call - but surely journalists can do a better job than this?

If i'm wrong, then so is Brolly, Spillane, O'Se and Whelan - all of whom had the opportunity to see several replays of the incident(s). Not to mention most people here who managed to catch the game or highlights on TV.

I'll see your Brolly and Spillane and rise you a Tommy Carr. All three of which should not be taken seriously. I wouldn't consider most of the wind up merchants here as being evidence either. O'Se and Whelan are independent which is fair enough but then so are the journalists you so easily dismiss.

You won the game fair and square and best of luck in the semi final. But move on and stop this nonsense about everything Cavanagh does is cheating and Monaghan are whiter than white. You'll learn that the more successful you get the more criticism you will get - be prepared for your stars to come under the microscope, like Cavanagh, very soon, especially, if you become AI contenders. I suspect at which point you will be on here desperately trying to defend the actions of the likes of Dick Clerkin and Dessie Mone who currently nobody outside of Monaghan care about so their misdemeanours do not make national headlines or warrant full length discussions and rants on the Sunday Game.
That was never a square ball!!

Maguire01

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 16, 2014, 08:24:06 PM

I'll see your Brolly and Spillane and rise you a Tommy Carr. All three of which should not be taken seriously. I wouldn't consider most of the wind up merchants here as being evidence either. O'Se and Whelan are independent which is fair enough but then so are the journalists you so easily dismiss.

I'm thinking the journalists must have written their reports based on seeing the incident once, in real time, possibly from some distance. Most people would have called it a black card for Hughes looking at it once in real time. Just strange - and sloppy - that they later went to press with that version - several times.

Maguire01

You won the game fair and square and best of luck in the semi final. But move on and stop this nonsense about everything Cavanagh does is cheating and Monaghan are whiter than white. You'll learn that the more successful you get the more criticism you will get - be prepared for your stars to come under the microscope, like Cavanagh, very soon, especially, if you become AI contenders. I suspect at which point you will be on here desperately trying to defend the actions of the likes of Dick Clerkin and Dessie Mone who currently nobody outside of Monaghan care about so their misdemeanours do not make national headlines or warrant full length discussions and rants on the Sunday Game.
Firstly, I never said everything Cavanagh does is cheating. One of his points yesterday was immaculate, and he was pretty much the reason Tyrone were in contention at the death. He's a great player - the best on that Tyrone team by some distance. But he has form - indeed he has form in pulling down Hughes - a yellow card last year and a black one this year, in both cases where Cavanagh was the one doing the fouling.

I also don't think Monaghan are whiter than white - not for a minute. And to suggest that Clerkin or Mone haven't come in for criticism is laughable! They have played on the edge, and sometimes over it. Although i'd suggest both are a lot more disciplined that they were 4 or 5 years ago (in fact the whole team probably is).

I'd like to think i'll call things as they are and won't be so blinkered to say black is white when it relates to a Monaghan player. I take no issue, for example, with Malone's black card - a clear pulling-down offence.

Sandy Hill

Not surprised at the Irish News; they are to Tyrone what Fox News is to the Republican Party in the USA.
"Stercus accidit"

BennyHarp

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 16, 2014, 08:43:02 PM
Firstly, I never said everything Cavanagh does is cheating. One of his points yesterday was immaculate, and he was pretty much the reason Tyrone were in contention at the death. He's a great player - the best on that Tyrone team by some distance. But he has form - indeed he has form in pulling down Hughes - a yellow card last year and a black one this year, in both cases where Cavanagh was the one doing the fouling.

I also don't think Monaghan are whiter than white - not for a minute. And to suggest that Clerkin or Mone haven't come in for criticism is laughable! They have played on the edge, and sometimes over it. Although i'd suggest both are a lot more disciplined that they were 4 or 5 years ago (in fact the whole team probably is).

I'd like to think i'll call things as they are and won't be so blinkered to say black is white when it relates to a Monaghan player. I take no issue, for example, with Malone's black card - a clear pulling-down offence.

Fair enough, maybe I'm responding more to the theme of how the thread is going than your individual posts but I'd say the level of criticism Cavanagh gets is disproportionate to his perceived crimes and is at a different level to anything faced by Clerkin or Mone, who I have singled out because I've watched them for many years and know they play on the edge. For the record. I'm not blinkered to Cavanaghs crimes either, his theatrics after he goes down is embarrassing but he is singled out by opposing teams and over the years has learned how to ensure the ref is aware of the fouls on him, in my opinion he doesn't deserve the vilification he gets on national TV or on these pages.
That was never a square ball!!

Carmen Stateside

Bingo

Wildweasel74

Colin Cooper comes under more abuse than Cavanagh ever has, whys he not reverted to this diving shite, as for not highlighting Monaghan we all know what Clerkin brings to the table and he rightly been pointed out as doing underhand stuff, point is he didn't do any yesterday, so kinda hard to bring him into the good and bad of yesterdays game. I rather supporters accept some actions of their players are indefensible, or we just end up with a bunch of Mueller's and Pepe's playing the game in a few years.

PAULD123

Is Cavanagh a diver - well yeah he is a bit. He does go down easy at times. Did he pull down Hughes? Well maybe a little, but without a doubt not before Hughes had fouled him.

But I think it is important to not lose sight of the amount of times the man is fouled/pulled back/blocked. Cavanagh gets fouled far more than he ever gets frees. And he does go down easy but is that diving? perhaps it is, but he rarely does it when he hasn't been fouled. maybe he could stay on his feet but if he has been fouled then again maybe he is entitled to go down????

SkillfulBill

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 16, 2014, 10:44:39 PM
Is Cavanagh a diver - well yeah he is a bit. He does go down easy at times. Did he pull down Hughes? Well maybe a little, but without a doubt not before Hughes had fouled him.

But I think it is important to not lose sight of the amount of times the man is fouled/pulled back/blocked. Cavanagh gets fouled far more than he ever gets frees. And he does go down easy but is that diving? perhaps it is, but he rarely does it when he hasn't been fouled. maybe he could stay on his feet but if he has been fouled then again maybe he is entitled to go down????

Hate to see players go down easy even if they are being fouled but in regards to Mone's rugby tackle on Cavanagh i felt at the time Mone had every intention to take sean down and was rightly carded. Cavanagh held on to ensure the ref made correct call. I think Cavanagh is getting special attention from the media.