Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelegs

Quote from: orangeman on June 16, 2014, 12:52:45 AM
I don't want to go over ground that probably has been covered earlier but why was Mickey Harte so particularly incensed today at the referee ? He normally doesn't have a go like the way he reacted today. RTE are rubbing it into Tyrone every chance they get. And Joe is making hay.

Darren Hughes did 'run into' Gavin Devlin on his way onto the field at the end of the game. Might have got Harte's blood up prior to confronting the referee.

Mickey might be better concentrating on some of his own decision making on the sideline because it was far from faultless!

never kickt a ball

Quote from: orangeman on June 16, 2014, 12:39:49 AM
Monaghan have an excellent team on the pitch and an excellent management team off it. Well done to them. They work hard and have serious talent in a lot of positions. I can't see Armagh beating them and Donegal won't be looking forward to meeting them if Monaghan make the Ulster final.
Mc Manus will be better prepared the next day out.

I wouldn't write off the Orangemen yet Orangeman.

tyroneman

Most of the more reasonable Tyrone posters on here have been big enough to congratulate Monaghan and wish them well going forward. We have no complaints about being beaten by the better team ion the day.

We do have legitimate gripes about the timekeeping issue but are not using these this as an excuse.

It's a little disappointing therefore to see a lot of Monaghan posters be so ungracious in victory.

The fact we were only beaten by a point in the end and had our chance to draw says we have something about us. We are not contenders but we will make a difficult game for anyone.

Our key concerns are the uncertainty in team selection and lack of plan a never mind plan b. I would like to see Coney etc get 4-5 games starting to show what he can do rather than this constant chopping and changing.

Harte has been able to figure this out before I hope he does so again.

omagh_gael

Fair play to Monaghan yesterday,  definitely deserved winners. We were poor all over the field and never got going at all. It's really worrying that four years in a row we've faced a full on blanket defence (Donegal x 3 and yesterday) and still look completely clueless. How many times did we hoof it striaght up to the semi circle towards Mc Curry, RoN/SoN after ponderous build up then got swallowed up and turned over?  We rarely attacked tge space down the channels or pulled men out to the wings and hit them with early direct ball.

Couple of other points:

Sad to see SoN being so ineffectual, he was beat in 80% of challenges and his foot passing was very poor. Am I correct in thinking he didn't have one shot at all today?

Somen Tyrone lads would need to take their heads out of the sand. Sean's arm grabbing has been going on for years and has has served him well. Was going to be a time when he would be hammered for it. Sean has a very prominent position in the GAA (a lot of which is self created) so we have to accept that he will be scrutinised much closer than tbe average Joe. However, to all those who are baying for his blood, could you please comment on the equal (if not worse) behaviour of Dessie Mone who usdd the exact same arm drag a number of times as well as hitting the dirt like a sack of sh*te when the draft of a Ciaran McGinley wind hit him in the back during the first half.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: ONeill on June 16, 2014, 12:01:48 AM
Sean dragged Tyrone back into contention but Tyrone seem to depend on that scenario a lot these last 2 years.

Not the only dragging he's done in the last two years in fairness..

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 16, 2014, 12:04:03 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 11:56:10 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 11:50:36 PM
Quote from: Schkite on June 15, 2014, 11:39:43 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 11:31:48 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 11:28:16 PM
Hopefully RTE take their key analyst Tommy Carr to task then. He thought the Hughes incident was a blatant black card. After multiple replays he decided that Hughes "took one for the team" yet later his colleagues decide that Sean dived. I didn't see the Sunday Game but did they highlight how easily the lad went over for the penalty?
Clutching at straws.

It really is. I don't see how you can compare a penalty being given after clear contact with a player pulling another down with him to win a free. If your main defence is quoting Tommy Carr then it's not a very strong one to be fair.

I think the lad went down very easily - is that not a dive to achieve an advantage? There was clear contact between Hughes and Cavanagh. Why was Hughes' arm over the top of Sean's shoulder? My quote of Tommy Carr is more a dig at the analysis on RTE. They have experts looking at the same incident and they arrive at completely polar apart conclusions.
Crucially, the "experts" who had time to view the incident several times - and that's both Brolly and Spillane, and O'Se and Whelan - all reached the same conclusion.

And I haven't heard ANYONE else question the penalty decision.

Maguire the penalty decision was a farce. A textbook dive. A fair and legal tackle went in and he dropped like a stone. The reason no fuss had been made about that is firstly, because it wasn't scored, and secondly because Joe Brolly never mentioned it and if the last few pages of this thread (and several other threads) shows, most lads desperately need Joe to tell them what to think and then they'll blindly repeat him ad nauseum.

You clearly don't know how Joe Brolly is perceived in Monaghan with a comment like that.  :o

You are being completely biased, which is understandable, but it was a stonewall penalty. As to whether is was deliberate/intentional/clumsy/accidental (i.e. a black or yellow) is debatable within the confusion surrounding the application of cards, but it was definitely a penalty.

imtommygunn

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 16, 2014, 07:33:25 AM
Fair play to Monaghan yesterday,  definitely deserved winners. We were poor all over the field and never got going at all. It's really worrying that four years in a row we've faced a full on blanket defence (Donegal x 3 and yesterday) and still look completely clueless. How many times did we hoof it striaght up to the semi circle towards Mc Curry, RoN/SoN after ponderous build up then got swallowed up and turned over?  We rarely attacked tge space down the channels or pulled men out to the wings and hit them with early direct ball.

Couple of other points:

Sad to see SoN being so ineffectual, he was beat in 80% of challenges and his foot passing was very poor. Am I correct in thinking he didn't have one shot at all today?

Somen Tyrone lads would need to take their heads out of the sand. Sean's arm grabbing has been going on for years and has has served him well. Was going to be a time when he would be hammered for it. Sean has a very prominent position in the GAA (a lot of which is self created) so we have to accept that he will be scrutinised much closer than tbe average Joe. However, to all those who are baying for his blood, could you please comment on the equal (if not worse) behaviour of Dessie Mone who usdd the exact same arm drag a number of times as well as hitting the dirt like a sack of sh*te when the draft of a Ciaran McGinley wind hit him in the back during the first half.

Dessie Mone out Cavanagh'd Cavanagh at one point by not going down from a foul in a non scoring position to going down from a non foul in a scoring position(both from Cavanagh). Cavanagh was livid. 

Norf Tyrone

Agree with most of my fellow Tyrone posters on here, and I've been saying it for a number of seasons, but I think it's time for change at the top. The football we are playing is far from pleasing on the eye, and would be acceptable, bar the fact it's also very ineffectual.

A few weeks ago, when the Tyrone Co Board announced Club Championship fixtures, there was 6 or 7 of the County panel who expressed their anger on social media. I feel that behind the scenes there appears to be a lack of unity between the players, the CB, Harte and the Clubs. In fact I don't fell it's that far behind the scenes.

At the minute you don't get this over arching feeling that we're all in this together and this is very reflective on the chemistry on the field.

The easy thing for me to say, is that we need a change of management, however I am aware that there are probably not too many alternates out there. One of the obvious candidates for me though was on the opposition bench yesterday.

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Jinxy

Quote from: orangeman on June 16, 2014, 12:52:45 AM
I don't want to go over ground that probably has been covered earlier but why was Mickey Harte so particularly incensed today at the referee ? He normally doesn't have a go like the way he reacted today. RTE are rubbing it into Tyrone every chance they get. And Joe is making hay.

The lack of injury time seemed to be his main gripe and, to be honest, I've some sympathy there.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

clarshack

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 16, 2014, 09:23:16 AM
Agree with most of my fellow Tyrone posters on here, and I've been saying it for a number of seasons, but I think it's time for change at the top. The football we are playing is far from pleasing on the eye, and would be acceptable, bar the fact it's also very ineffectual.

A few weeks ago, when the Tyrone Co Board announced Club Championship fixtures, there was 6 or 7 of the County panel who expressed their anger on social media. I feel that behind the scenes there appears to be a lack of unity between the players, the CB, Harte and the Clubs. In fact I don't fell it's that far behind the scenes.

At the minute you don't get this over arching feeling that we're all in this together and this is very reflective on the chemistry on the field.

The easy thing for me to say, is that we need a change of management, however I am aware that there are probably not too many alternates out there. One of the obvious candidates for me though was on the opposition bench yesterday.

the problem is that there are no suitable candidates within tyrone and the county board will never go for an outside manager.
it's a very conservative attitude to have and will prove quite costly in the long run.

Sleater

All week, I was wondering what selection surprise O'Rourke would have in store. I had hoped that Ryan Wylie would start in place of Kieran Duffy, but I never expected both to play, with Duffy as a sweeper. McManus starting wasn't really that much of a surprise. O'Rourke has, during his tenure as manager, got the vast majority of his tactical decisions right and he got this match ups and selections right for the most part. I wasn't sure if Dick would hold his discipline for the whole match, but credit to him, he did and the team benefited hugely from it. Holding Lennon in reserve was the right decision, though I think the Armagh game will be tailor made to start Lennon rather than Clerkin. Handing three lads (McKenna, R Wylie and Boyle) their championship debuts against Tyrone, of all teams, was risky but O'Rourke has shown he's not afraid to make the big calls.

A great result, if not a great performance It was good in some aspects, but lacking in others. Monaghan will need to improve on lots of areas of their play ahead of the Armagh game. I'm well sure O'Rourke will be aware of their failings and will be drilling the squad in addressing them

GrandMasterFlash

One of the obvious candidates for me though was on the opposition bench yesterday.

MOR? What about PTG?

Bingo

Quote from: Sleater on June 16, 2014, 09:45:07 AM
All week, I was wondering what selection surprise O'Rourke would have in store. I had hoped that Ryan Wylie would start in place of Kieran Duffy, but I never expected both to play, with Duffy as a sweeper. McManus starting wasn't really that much of a surprise. O'Rourke has, during his tenure as manager, got the vast majority of his tactical decisions right and he got this match ups and selections right for the most part. I wasn't sure if Dick would hold his discipline for the whole match, but credit to him, he did and the team benefited hugely from it. Holding Lennon in reserve was the right decision, though I think the Armagh game will be tailor made to start Lennon rather than Clerkin. Handing three lads (McKenna, R Wylie and Boyle) their championship debuts against Tyrone, of all teams, was risky but O'Rourke has shown he's not afraid to make the big calls.

A great result, if not a great performance It was good in some aspects, but lacking in others. Monaghan will need to improve on lots of areas of their play ahead of the Armagh game. I'm well sure O'Rourke will be aware of their failings and will be drilling the squad in addressing them

That's a good summary.

Monaghan have plenty of room to improve and I don't doubt they will. I think it was important that Monaghan got their noses ahead during the later stages of the first half and could build on this. Tyrone a good team to hold a lead and make it hard for teams to get scores.

In the opening exchanges Monaghan seemed off the pace and their passing was slow and often misplaced. Once they got to grips with the pace of the game, they were the better team.

Whatever about Cavanagh pulling Hughes down or Dessie Mone doing the same, I thought Cavanagh had 3 very clear fouls in the first half alone that went un noted by the ref. I'm near certain that the ticking is still in place but ref never bothered with that. He was eventually booked late on but I was surprised he didn't bit a card up earlier.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 16, 2014, 09:54:24 AM
One of the obvious candidates for me though was on the opposition bench yesterday.

MOR? What about PTG?

Meh. Peter to me lacks a bit of charisma based on his punditry levels, and he hardly inspired at Fermanagh.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

tc_manchester

Congratulations to Monaghan - they fully deserved the win and should have won by more. It's a pity they didn't because the Tyrone management/players will still believe that all it needs is one more heave to get them over the line. There are 3 major problems with this Tyrone team.

1. Style of play
2. Unsettled team
3. Some players not putting in the required effort on the pitch

We have continued with the running game for the last 4 years and every time we have come up against a strong defence we have wilted. It's an indictment of our play that the only long direct ball that came into McCurry was from Morgan on one of his forays. Both McCurry and McAliskey are turn and shoot footballers so need fast ball coming in.
As somebody said earlier we've had 15 games this year and still don't know what the best team is. The selection for the opening Down match should be a wake up call for the County board. You spend 12 matches trying something new and then come the first big match you go back to what has failed for the last 4 years. Granted I think the defence put a great shift in yesterday and definitely have a more solid look about it but god knows how our forward line is going to line out in the next fortnight. I'd imagine the tinkering will be Mattie Donnelly to full forward with Gormley back to CHB.
As for effort there are some players just happy to wear the red hand and not give everything to the jersey. I don't get angry with a player not playing well but I can't stand it if the work rate is not their. Half way thru the second half when Monaghan were 5 points up the monaghan defence won a ball and started coming out. 2 tyrone players tracked their men until about 60 yards out and then just stopped. The monaghan players kept running forward with nobody with them. I honestly couldn't believe that I saw it.

All 3 issues are an indictment of the current management. I honestly believe that Mickey needs a rest and the players need a new face. We'll probably end up with a worse manager but I think a change is needed